What sketches scared you as a kid?

mikebennidict

Reaction score
Kind of what an I looks like sideways, same thing with an H though I thought it was more like an I.

wiley207

Reaction score
It's a good thing I never saw the I-Beam skit when I was little. It had a Nightmare scare factor! The dark setting, red-hot I beam and that dramatic music score (that sounds like something that would accompany a war movie!), not to mention that video freeze at the end as a drumroll is heard right before the final note. That part reminds me of how some scary production logos were like back in the 1970s and early 1980s. When I first saw it (early this year on YouTube and SesameStreet.org, actually) I did get a bit unnerved by the drumroll bit, thinking something loud and dramatic was sure follow. And get this: they listed the I-Beam skit in the "Science and Technology" category on SesameStreet.org instead of the letters/alphabet categories!

I also heard people talking about how the skit sometimes ended with a deep menacing voice saying "I!" once the music ended. Is this really true? The versions on YouTube and SesameStreet.org don't do that. I think a deep menacing "I!" just increases the scare factor and REALLY gives one something to worry about when the video freeze comes up.

BTW, now why hasn't "Fear Factor" ever done an episode during its run involving the contestants watching scary Sesame Street segments in a continuous loop?

RugbyCutie

Reaction score
Hmm...the only thing I can particularly recall would be the "Ten Commandments of Health" song. I don't remember if I ever saw the actual sketch, but as a toddler I had a cassette tape that included it and the voices always freaked me out. Somehow I came to like it a few years later, and it helped me remember to cover my mouth when sneezing and such.

Oh, and I may have felt a little nervous during the Cecille claymation sketches as well, but I remember learning to like her too. Her song "I'm Gonna Get to You" was my favorite, I think. ^^;

Drtooth

Reaction score
Okay... I can't remember if this one scared me per se.... but this bus stop animation with it's evil sounding music and evil sounding voice actor had to make one of us jump out of our skins...

It's a freaking bus stop! You don't have to get that dark trying to get your point across. :shifty:

HootsytheOwl

Reaction score
The Other Scary Letter "I"

Hi all...I think the only clip that ever really bugged me as a kid was a cartoon short about a letter I. The one where a dot is trying to turn a rude, loudmouth capital I into a calm, lowercase I. Every time the capital letter would shout "I!", it gave me the heebie-jeebies. I'm so glad the dot won out though. A lot of Sesame Street is like that, with multiple lessons. That cute little dot didn't want to let that mean old Capital I bully him! :smile:

Your friend,
Kitt

PurpleHonker

Reaction score
To this day I'm embarassed to say that I'm still freaked out by the "Mummy Ernie" skit. The one where Ernie and Bert go into the temple and there's a mummy resembling Ernie. They eventually sing and dance together singing "Rubber Duckie." :eek:
The opening and closing music adds to the creepieness of the skit.
I am also very embarrassed to say this was the scariest skit to me as a child, and it still kinda gets me when watching it 20+ years later! I had such a hard time when Bert wouldn't believe Ernie.

I was also rather unsettled when Sinister Sam would come to the saloon... "Was it YOU that bought the last box of crayons?"

Lastly, I was somewhat afraid of the Count's home. Not him, just when they showed him IN his home. That's probably not normal... :coy:

MangoMoon

Reaction score
Not Sesame, but...

Death in the StoryTeller's Soldier and Death. he scared and fascinated me. I to look for him in cups. Also the 'God' in that episode who told the soldier that he was not allowed into heaven. :sympathy:

DIGIT from the Jim Henson Hour--scared the bejebus out of me.

In a christmas story (I don't know if that was what it was called) There was a mouse toy that "stoped"

Also Bootsie's boyfriend could be a bit uncanny at times.

Oh yeah, and when Oscar goes flying down like 5 flights of stairs in the Sesame christmas movie.

CountFan1998

Reaction score
I know these two are NOT Sesame Street but I was (or yet, still am) afraid of:

TMS: Hugga Wugga. The eyes on Hugga are horrifying!

PS (Plaza Sesamo): I don't know what to call it, the animated bit where Abelardo, Pancho and Lola are gathered around a machine. Abelardo pulls a lever, a buzzer sounds and on comes a number on the screen. Lola does the same, while a different number appears, but the next time Pancho breaks the lever and the machine breaks with different colored cracks in the screen while Pancho is confused with why it broke. Abelardo waves and the gang leaves.

clutch123

Reaction score
One sketch, or maybe there was more that is:

With the muppet "Don Music". For years, I have always wanted to play the piano, but after seeing Mr. Music hit his head on the piano keys each and everytime he made a mistake, with fustration, I changed my mind. I haven't touched a piano since then.

It not be scary to you, but it certainly was scary to me!