What sketches scared you as a kid?

Frackles

Reaction score
The song with the shark singing about his "bright white teeth", he had this AWFUL gravelly voice that grated and growled, that terrified me as a kid.

dwmckim

Reaction score
One sketch, or maybe there was more that is:

With the muppet "Don Music". For years, I have always wanted to play the piano, but after seeing Mr. Music hit his head on the piano keys each and everytime he made a mistake, with fustration, I changed my mind. I haven't touched a piano since then.

It not be scary to you, but it certainly was scary to me!
Had the opposite effect on me; made me want to play the piano all the more (Don Music style of course!)

I remember playing either a toy piano or real one as a kid hitting several keys at a time. Someone would inevitably tell me "no no, you just hit one key at a time" to which my response would be "That's not how Little Chrissy does it!"

Gelfling Girl

Reaction score
Had the opposite effect on me; made me want to play the piano all the more (Don Music style of course!)
LOL, me too.

I'm not sure whether this really "scared" me, but I really never was fond at all of Suzie Kabloozie. :stick_out_tongue:

Drtooth

Reaction score
TMS: Hugga Wugga. The eyes on Hugga are horrifying!
The original Sclrap a Flyapp (which is essentially an earlier version of Hugga Wugga) probably woulda killed you. It's much scarierer and one of the character's eye LIGHT UP! Creeps me out a little now.

The song with the shark singing about his "bright white teeth", he had this AWFUL gravelly voice that grated and growled, that terrified me as a kid.
Ah yes. Pearl White Teeth sung by Brain Meehl. Yeah, I'm probably the only one who saw it when I was a youngster and laughed like an idiot. Seemed to scare everyone else.

HeyButtahfly

Reaction score
While searching YouTube for classic Sesame Street clips (particularly those from the '70s), I recently came across one that I had completely forgotten about that scared me: The Ten Commandments of Health. I could listen to the song on my Sesame Street cassette tape, but to watch the Muppets actually performing it creeped me out.

Gonzo's Hobbit

Reaction score
I have these tapes of Sesame Street Songs and sketches. There was this one where Cookie Monster goes on a journey to find everlasting joy and happiness. Along the way he runs into a fire breathing dragon, comes across the house of an evil wizard, a castle owned by an ogre and a cave where a witch lives with her army of gnomes goblins and six-footed bumble thunderbeasts. The witch and her army then proceed to chase cookie all over the place. It was quite a frightening experience, especcially since I would listen to it while falling asleep.

Kiki

Reaction score
The letter sketches set in the jungle where the physical letter was supposed to be, like, Tarzan or something. I don't know what, but it creeped me out when I was little, and so did those other letter sketches with the Jaws-esque music, where the kids are in the pool. :embarrassed:

ALSO... not from SSt, but the "Hugga Wugga" song from TMS scared me. I didn't see the actual sketch on the show until season one was released on DVD a few years back, but when I was younger I had TMS record with the songs from the first season, and "Hugga Wugga" was on it. It was just such a bizzarre song...

TelephoneRock

Reaction score
I have to ask, but why would it scare you to see Muppets performing a song you've heard on a cassette first? Because I was always used to seeing Muppets sing stuff. Just wondering. :smile: