Diamond Select Toys to Produce new Muppet figures and mini mates!

Rtec1

Reaction score
I think this is what really hurts this line. "Hopefully". It is very difficult for Muppet fans to commit to buying the figures if there is no guarantee that their collection is going to be complete. It's a lot of money to spend when you are only going to get a half a dozen figures in your muppet collection.
100% agree with this, after series 2 all we ever heard was Hopefully, if theres enough pre-orders Hopefully...., and lots of maybe a series 5 when it was pretty obvious we’d be extremely lucky to get a Series 4 and even series 3 come to think of it. And again there’s even mention of figures beyond the last few being released, when let’s be honest it ain’t happening!
I really want Swedish Chef, but what’s important to me is completing the Band, Do I pay well over the odds to get the Chef over here with Intl shipping and Customs to HOPEFULLY get Dr Teeth and Zoot??? Bored of it all now really

muppetperson

Reaction score
I think this is what really hurts this line. "Hopefully". It is very difficult for Muppet fans to commit to buying the figures if there is no guarantee that their collection is going to be complete. It's a lot of money to spend when you are only going to get a half a dozen figures in your muppet collection.
We should just enjoy the figures that we do get. After all, we will never get all the Muppets because there are too many of them.

floydnjanicefan

Reaction score
This is always how action figures work. Each series released determines the fate of the next. A company can't commit to making x number of characters hoping that somebody will buy them all at the end of the line once they feel enough characters have been released. "Hopefully" is the best you can expect, whether it is Muppets or something more popular. As Muppet fans, we have a bit more of a struggle since our property isn't in the forefront of pop culture, so preorders become even more important.

jvcarroll

Reaction score
THIS! It's the state of how all action figures work, but the Muppets are a particularly hard sell. As a fan and someone who works in products, I'd welcome the chance to better structure a line of Muppet figures. Too many main characters are needlessly held back in order to add longevity to the line...and the line ends before we get them. This is not really a complaint as much as an observation. I've worked on two lines of Muppets and I know what I'm talking about. I also know what goes into the decision making. I helped influence some key decisions as a freelancer, particularly with Palisades. We did a lot right. We also missed the mark a lot too. Personally, I think the entire Mayhem, in addition to single releases, should also be released packaged together as a branded exclusive for conventions in special packaging. Someone tell me that wouldn't sell like crazy! That's the thing. Everything feels so tentative about Muppet figures. Fans are fickle, the market if fickle, and stores are fickle. The figures are more or less like the ABC Muppets show. There are some faithful followers, but more criticism and apathy than there was back in Jim's day. The reasons, however, are different. Anyway, you bring up a very good point. One I know all too well.

jvcarroll

Reaction score
What was the line you worked on that wasn't Palisades?
I'm not at liberty to divulge much of that, but you can read between the lines. It takes many people to make these products. I am one of those many people.

jvcarroll

Reaction score
By the way, Diamond Select's Miss Piggy won the bronze in her category at this year's Poppies. That's a pretiguous toy award voted on by industry professionals. I could not have more pride in a product than I do in her. She's the notoriously a low performer in sales when compared to the other Muppets. Yeah, it is third place, but that cute, flamboyant figureskakting fella at the Olympics got the bronze too, so the Diva Pig is in good company! Diamond Select, the sculptors at Gentle Giant and everybody involved in that figure should be very pleased. I actually teared up after hearing the news. Miss Piggy has finally gotten the respect the deserves.

Blue Frackle

Reaction score
I'm not at liberty to divulge much of that, but you can read between the lines. It takes many people to make these products. I am one of those many people.
Okay, I was just curious because I can't think of another Muppet action figure line that wasn't Palisades or Diamond... if you're with Diamond then that's a nice plot twist, and in that case congrats!

@DSTZach If you ever come back, I'm curious if you could divulge why Crazy Harry didn't come with a dynamite plunger. The comment about Miss Piggy not coming with the camera (I believe it was actually supposed to come with Rowlf pre-piano) made me think of this. Was it anti-violence, or did you guys rethink the accessories when you added Rowlf's piano (I'm assuming off-memory that the piano was a late addition)?

jvcarroll

Reaction score
Okay, I was just curious because I can't think of another Muppet action figure line that wasn't Palisades or Diamond... if you're with Diamond then that's a nice plot twist, and in that case congrats!

@DSTZach If you ever come back, I'm curious if you could divulge why Crazy Harry didn't come with a dynamite plunger. The comment about Miss Piggy not coming with the camera (I believe it was actually supposed to come with Rowlf pre-piano) made me think of this. Was it anti-violence, or did you guys rethink the accessories when you added Rowlf's piano (I'm assuming off-memory that the piano was a late addition)?
You are very close in your assessment there :wink: and I'll stop there. As for the plunger, as someone who's worked on legit Muppets stuff under Henson and Disney, I can tell you that weapons for most characters who are on the same tier that the Muppets happen to be on are a no-go. In this day and age, I can't really fault them too much for that. Also, I thought that the ABC Muppets missed a great opportunity with Crazy Harry. Imagine him having to give up his career in pyrotechnics and placed in the hands of a temp agency where he keeps getting fired from mundane jobs because he doesn't fit in and he can't make water cooler conversation. They could find a way to make if funny and poignant. Just my thought on all of that stuff. It would have been hilarious.