Your Thoughts: Mister Rogers' "It's You I Like" 50th Anniversary Special

Phillip

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
A new documentary "Mister Rogers: It's You I Like" will premiere nationally on many PBS stations on Tuesday evening March 6, 2017 at 7 central, 8 eastern.

The star-studded retrospective pays tribute to Mister Rogers' Neighborhood, which debuted fifty years ago in 1968.

Judd Apatow, Joyce DiDonato, Whoopi Goldberg, Chris Kratt, John Lithgow, Yo-Yo Ma and son Nicholas Ma, Itzhak Perlman, Sarah Silverman, Esperanza Spalding and Caroll Spinney reveal their favorite memories from Mister Rogers’ Neighborhood, while Joe Negri (“Handyman Negri”), David Newell (“Mr. McFeely”) and Joanne Rogers, Fred’s widow, share their personal stories. Also featured are performances from the archives by Tony Bennett, The Empire Brass Quintet, Hillary Hahn, Margaret Hamilton, Yo-Yo Ma and Nicholas, Wynton Marsalis and Perlman.

Please Note: This special will be airing at different times on local PBS stations throughout the month of March, so check your local listings on-line at pbs.org.

If you saw "Mister Rogers: It's You I Like" please like this post and share your thoughts on the anticipated special.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
It aired on my local PBS affiliate today (at 10 or 11 in the morning... I would have thought this would be a prime time or early evening special).

I didn't pay attention to the whole thing, but I did pay attention to the parts with Caroll Spinney. I don't know how long ago this was recorded, but to me, he sounded fine, his voice wasn't too soft/hard to hear like it reportedly has been recently. I wondered if they'd talk about Mr. Roger's appearance on Sesame Street as well as Big Bird's appearance on the show, but they just covered Big Bird's appearance.

Caroll Spinney mentioned that Jim Henson didn't want the public to see him in just half the Big Bird costume (and I had read this before, I think in an interview from around the 40th anniversary). I often thought that was Spinney's own decision, as Jim Henson was known for being willing to show how things were done and not keeping many behind-the-scenes secrets.

antsamthompson9

Reaction score
It was pretty cool to see Caroll reminisce about Big Bird being on Mr. Rogers' Neighborhood.

beakerboy12

Reaction score
Mister Rogers was truly a legend. Though this one features our beloved Carroll Spinney, I would hardily recommend you wait and see the latest Morgan Neville doc Won't You Be My Neighbor, which covers him in a lot more detail than anything I've seen before. Just phenomenal!

MikaelaMuppet

Reaction score
I unfortunately missed it because my parents and I were watching something else at the time instead.