The Doctor Who Thread

Pig'sSaysAdios

Reaction score
Just curious:

How would you guys rank the Doctors (including the War Doctor)?
This is my ranking from LEAST favorite to favorite:

• Six- UGH, I know it's a cliche at this point, but I really do not like him. He was shallow, self obsessed, overly critical. He was just, so annoying. I hate this one. It didn't help that he also got stuck with the most annoying and useless companion in the history of the show. Still, Colin Baker was a really good actor, and on a few rare occasions, particularly when The Doctor got to show his righteous anger, his acting skills really shined through.
  • Fifth Doctor. I know a lot of people like him and have a nostalgic fondness for him, but I always found kind of bland compared to all the others. Also, while he is one of my least favorites I still like him, and he's miles better than the sixth Doctor.
  • The first Doctor
  • The War Doctor- John Hurt did a great job, but we only got one episode plus a tiny cameo with him. He was good in his main story, and I wish we could've seen more of him.
  • Eight- Paul McGann is a really good actor, and his Doctor was delightfully Doctory, but once again he only had two on screen performances. But, both of these appearances really made me want more. It would be great if he could come back and do an episode or two with Jodie I haven't listened to the audios yet.
  • The seventh Doctor He was good in his last season, but suffered from a lot of bad stories and uneven characterization.
  • Third Doctor- He was really cool. By no fault of his own though, I keep forgetting that he exists, probably because he was so different from other incarnations, and partially because i've seen so few of his stories.
  • Second Doctor. He could go from silly to serious in a moment. He helped shape what the character is today. It should be noted that I love Doctors 2 and 4, and 9-12 almost equally.
  • Fourth is my favorite of the classic era.
  • Nine. He added a brilliant charm and subtlety to the role.
  • Ten
  • Eleven
  • Twelfth Doctor. He's grumpy, but has a heart of gold. He's effortlessly cool, but still has a sort of goofy dad quality. Cap may be the most skilled actor to ever play the part. Series 10 definitely solidified him as my favorite.

Froggy Fool

Reaction score
Here's mine from worst to best:

13. The Sixth Doctor (Colin Baker) Yeah, I pretty much agree with you, Pig's Laundry about this guy. He really doesn't feel like the Doctor; he doesn't have that twinkle in his eye that all the other Doctors did. Sure, 1 was grumpy, but he still had that magical sparkle in his eyes. I have to say though, he is a lot more bearable in the Big Finish audios, I actually quite like him there. Oh, also - his coat. Absolute worst costume design. Ever.
12. The War Doctor (John Hurt) The thing is, I actually really like Hurt in the role; however like PL said, he was only in 2 episodes, and he wasn't exactly the most memorable Doctor. Mostly forgettable IMO. However, I've heard he's really good in the War Doctor audio series.
11. The Third Doctor (Jon Pertwee) I've gotten a lot of flack for this choice, but I have to say that Pertwee was never my Doctor. A little too James Bond for my tastes. But he was decent. I really need to watch more of his era.
10. The Ninth Doctor (Christopher Eccleston) I know, I know. You can hate me. It's just that I find Nine to be EXTREMELY overrated. Glad he was only there for 1 season. Plus, I find his episodes to be hit or miss.
9. The First Doctor (William Hartnell) I really love Hartnell as the Doctor, he is perfect as the Doctor. I truly believe that the show wouldn't have been a hit without Hartnell's stellar performances. Also, his laugh is amazing:
8. The Eighth Doctor (Paul McGann) God, I wish we had more of this guy. He was awesome as the Doctor. In the TV movie he was good, but OMG he the BEST in "Night of the Doctor". I like to watch that minisode just for his performance. He's also really good in BF.
7. The Fifth Doctor (Peter Davidson) Up until recently, I really didn't care for 5 all that much, but then I watched the Caves of Androzoni and instantly loved him. I especially love the sarcastic quips he makes!
6. The Seventh Doctor (Sylvester McCoy) Although his first season was pretty shaky, 7 finally evened out in Seasons 25 and 26 and quickly grew to be one of my favorites! The Curse of Fenric is an absolute masterpiece if you haven't seen it!
5. The Second Doctor (Patrick Troughton) You know, it's amazing that this guy got the job as the Doctor after Hartnell, because he is just so different from 1, and in a good way! Troughton made the Doctor fun, and he has one of the greatest companions to date (Jamie)! It's a shame a lot of episodes are lost!
4. The Twelfth Doctor (Peter Capaldi) Ugh, at this point I can't even choose because all of these Doctors are great! But yeah, 12 fell at #4. I love him as the Doctor, how he's grumpy but is actually the nicest guy. The thing that makes him fall at #4 is Series 8 with this companion I don't like (It's Clara. :rolleyes:) plus, they made the Doctor really grumpy which I don't really care for.
3. The Eleventh Doctor (Matt Smith) Love Matt Smith! He takes a lot of elements from Troughton and mixes them up to make a great and IMO, better version of the Doctor. Love how he rambles, probably the laugh-out-loud funniest of all the Doctors.
2. The Tenth Doctor (David Tennant) Yeah, you probably saw this coming, but Tennant's my favorite out of the NS Doctors. He was the Doctor I saw first, and I instantly liked. I won't go on because everything I would say would be praise.
1. The Fourth Doctor (Tom Baker) Really surprised that Tom made #1, I would've thought 10 would win. But then I thought about it and realized that I like Tom a tiny bit more than Tennant. I love his wild, untamed behavior, his curly hair, and his absolutely great companions! He doesn't have a bad one! Plus, he has some of the greatest episodes of the whole series!!

Pig'sSaysAdios

Reaction score
Here's mine from worst to best:

13. The Sixth Doctor (Colin Baker) Yeah, I pretty much agree with you, Pig's Laundry about this guy. He really doesn't feel like the Doctor; he doesn't have that twinkle in his eye that all the other Doctors did. Sure, 1 was grumpy, but he still had that magical sparkle in his eyes. I have to say though, he is a lot more bearable in the Big Finish audios, I actually quite like him there. Oh, also - his coat. Absolute worst costume design. Ever.
12. The War Doctor (John Hurt) The thing is, I actually really like Hurt in the role; however like PL said, he was only in 2 episodes, and he wasn't exactly the most memorable Doctor. Mostly forgettable IMO. However, I've heard he's really good in the War Doctor audio series.
11. The Third Doctor (Jon Pertwee) I've gotten a lot of flack for this choice, but I have to say that Pertwee was never my Doctor. A little too James Bond for my tastes. But he was decent. I really need to watch more of his era.
10. The Ninth Doctor (Christopher Eccleston) I know, I know. You can hate me. It's just that I find Nine to be EXTREMELY overrated. Glad he was only there for 1 season. Plus, I find his episodes to be hit or miss.
9. The First Doctor (William Hartnell) I really love Hartnell as the Doctor, he is perfect as the Doctor. I truly believe that the show wouldn't have been a hit without Hartnell's stellar performances. Also, his laugh is amazing:
8. The Eighth Doctor (Paul McGann) God, I wish we had more of this guy. He was awesome as the Doctor. In the TV movie he was good, but OMG he the BEST in "Night of the Doctor". I like to watch that minisode just for his performance. He's also really good in BF.
7. The Fifth Doctor (Peter Davidson) Up until recently, I really didn't care for 5 all that much, but then I watched the Caves of Androzoni and instantly loved him. I especially love the sarcastic quips he makes!
6. The Seventh Doctor (Sylvester McCoy) Although his first season was pretty shaky, 7 finally evened out in Seasons 25 and 26 and quickly grew to be one of my favorites! The Curse of Fenric is an absolute masterpiece if you haven't seen it!
5. The Second Doctor (Patrick Troughton) You know, it's amazing that this guy got the job as the Doctor after Hartnell, because he is just so different from 1, and in a good way! Troughton made the Doctor fun, and he has one of the greatest companions to date (Jamie)! It's a shame a lot of episodes are lost!
4. The Twelfth Doctor (Peter Capaldi) Ugh, at this point I can't even choose because all of these Doctors are great! But yeah, 12 fell at #4. I love him as the Doctor, how he's grumpy but is actually the nicest guy. The thing that makes him fall at #4 is Series 8 with this companion I don't like (It's Clara. :rolleyes:) plus, they made the Doctor really grumpy which I don't really care for.
3. The Eleventh Doctor (Matt Smith) Love Matt Smith! He takes a lot of elements from Troughton and mixes them up to make a great and IMO, better version of the Doctor. Love how he rambles, probably the laugh-out-loud funniest of all the Doctors.
2. The Tenth Doctor (David Tennant) Yeah, you probably saw this coming, but Tennant's my favorite out of the NS Doctors. He was the Doctor I saw first, and I instantly liked. I won't go on because everything I would say would be praise.
1. The Fourth Doctor (Tom Baker) Really surprised that Tom made #1, I would've thought 10 would win. But then I thought about it and realized that I like Tom a tiny bit more than Tennant. I love his wild, untamed behavior, his curly hair, and his absolutely great companions! He doesn't have a bad one! Plus, he has some of the greatest episodes of the whole series!!
Looking back at my list now, yeah, I should've put Pertwee at about the same spot you did.

Froggy Fool

Reaction score
Okay, well I already ranked NW series in the Top 10 Thread. This is what I said:
Top 10 New Doctor Who Series
(there are 10 of them so far, so it's perfect for this thread)

10. Series 8- This one is just awful. The episodes are crap (albeit one or two), The Doctor is a jerk, and just Clara. She is sooooo annoying. It's like Doctor Who was turned into "The Clara Show". Plus, Danny Pink is the most wasted character in the history of the show. :grouchy:
9. Series 1 - I have to give them credit because this is the first series of New Who, and it's definitely not horrible. It's not great either, but it's not horrible. The plots are good at best, and the character of the Doctor is pretty interesting and mysterious in this. Christopher Eccleston is an... okay Doctor. Not the best IMO. And Rose is just as annoying as always, though I like her better with Eccleston than Tennant. So overall a good start but not quite there yet. :smirk:
8. Series 2 - The first one with Tennant, and definitely the worst of his era. The plots are pretty good, not great, at best (*cough, cough Love and Monsters, cough, cough*) David Tennant is amazing as The Doctor (as always), but Rose is even more annoying in this than the previous season. And I hate the romantic relationship between the Doctor and Rose.
7. Series 7 - This one is usually put lower on the list, but I actually quite like it. The 1st half of the season with Amy and Rory is great, and I really like Clara's introduction in this. I wish we got stuck with the Clara in the past, but oh well. Pretty much the only thing that I don't like is the episodes in part 2 of this season. They are... very bad. :rolleyes:
6. Series 9- This series is almost great, with good stories and good acting. Clara is actually bearable again. Peter Capaldi is fantastic as the Doctor. Missy is really enjoyable. Everything's great until we get to the season finale. Heaven Sent is pretty boring IMO, but it's not bad at all. But then, then we get to **** Bent, one of the worst episodes in Doctor Who history. Steven Moffat undos all the good plot points established in Face the Raven with Clara's glorious exit. The Doctor suddenly feels like he HAS to save Clara, and basically uproots time because of this. The worst season finale in DW history.
5. Series 3- Very enjoyable season with David Tennant as the Doctor and new companion Martha Jones. I like the season arc with the Master, and overall Martha's time with the Doctor feels perfect. Minor complaint - I feel like they didn't flesh out Martha's character all that much.
4. Series 10 - The most recent series of Doctor Who, and the best one with Peter Capaldi. I LOVE Pearl Mackie as Bill Potts in this, she's the best companion since Amy Pond in Series 5/6/7. The stories are all very good, with the one exception of the Eaters of Light, a very meh episode IMO.
3. Series 6 - Not much to comment except Matt Smith, Alex Kingston, Karen Gillan, and Arthur Darvill are all great in this. Pretty much all episodes are winners. The Silents are the best Doctor Who since the Weeping Angels, IMO.
2. Series 5- The best of Matt Smith's and Steven Moffat's era. Matt Smith is perfection as the Doctor. Amy and Rory are great as well. Big thumbs up for this season.
1. Series 4- The best season of Doctor Who, period, including the Classic Series. I've said it before, and I'll say it again, you can't beat David Tennant'ss performance as the Doctor. I freakin' LOVE Donna Noble in this, best companion of the new series. The overaching plot is great, every episode is great, I have zero complaints!! :excited:

EDIT: MC censors h-e-l-l on here??

ZeppoAndFriends

Reaction score
I actually used that Amy Mebberson one as my desktop for a while, but the Muppet/DW audio I had not heard of.