The Muppets 2015: What went wrong?

jobi71

Reaction score
We're still griping about this? Haven't we moved beyond this yet?

This!

This was the main problem with the show: for one thing, unless there's some kind of legality that prevents them from doing so, we can't seem to get Disney to bring in actual Muppet writers to write for the Muppets. It's as if they're afraid to let the Muppets do their own thing, and think they need more mainstream appeal, so instead, they bring in mainstream writers from other mainstream shows, so what we ended up getting was essentially THE BIG MODERN MUPPET OFFICE BANG FAMILY THEORY.

And yes, there's always been adult humor in the Muppets, but it was always sly and sophisticated: it went over the kids heads, but adults got it, so that was something for them without being inappropriate for kids to enjoy . . . there's a difference between subtly and being blatant and in-your-face.
I think that morphing of styles stems from the rapid turn around, but you also bring up another point - the lack of someone Muppet based in a show runner or consultant role. I know there were many folks (Goelz, Linz, Barretta, Whitmire etc) as performers, but they rarely have the leverage to suggest changes. Maybe a line reading here or there, but usually nothing substantive. Let's be positive though, aside from their live shows their youtube videos have been some of their best recent content, so if their new project comes to pass I am cautiously optimistic.

rexcrk

Reaction score
I personally thought it was perfect the way it was from the start. After the “retool”, I didn’t think it was as good (but still really good).

What’s there not to like? It was like taking The Office and the Muppets and putting them together.. a winning combination!

MuppetPainter

Reaction score
The muppets 2015 was the most anticipated show that year and possibly one of the most anticipated of all time but many people stopped watching after episode 2 and was cancelled after one season.
I personally had no problems with the show and wanted a second season but I'm looking at why it never got that second season and what exactly went wrong

1. It wasn't the muppet show- Many people probably saw there was a new muppets TV show and instantly thought it was a like for like copy of the 1976 series and when they found out it wasn't they switched it off
2. Too adult. Grow the f*ck up.
3. Kermit vs piggy: I was thinking of this the other day that it was more kermit vs piggy than the muppets. When episodes like going going Gonzo or too hot to handler aired they were the best of the series as they focused on different characters.
4. Sh*t guest stars: I only enjoyed 3 of the guest stars (Jason Bateman, Key and Peele and Willy Nelson)

This was my opinion on why the muppets failed. What is your opinion
I think it is mainly a Disney problem, they don't seem to have a clue as to what they are doing. I wish Brian Henson would buy it back from them and make everything the way his father had it. Even Sesame Street is a joke. No more children of all races learning and getting along, hardly any puppets and when they are on it looks like all Green Screen. Not at all good in my eyes.

dwayne1115

Reaction score
Well let's put it simply....

There where the characters Jim Frank Richard Jerry Dave and Steve created. Then there are these other characters with there names, but that's about where the similarly end.

BlakeConor14

Reaction score
I think it is mainly a Disney problem, they don't seem to have a clue as to what they are doing. I wish Brian Henson would buy it back from them and make everything the way his father had it. Even Sesame Street is a joke. No more children of all races learning and getting along, hardly any puppets and when they are on it looks like all Green Screen. Not at all good in my eyes.
That's where I disagree. The Henson Company is a small media business and in no way would the Henson Company afforded two movies and a TV show. In fact I'd the henson company still had the muppets we'd be looking forward to a crappy tv special this year

It wasn't that it was too adult, it was too out of character; right from the first episode Scooter's sassiness struck me as odd.

I'm not sure. Because for starters that's the most scooter we had since 1990 but he did seem a bit sassy
But hearing about Ken made me laugh

LittleJerry92

Reaction score
Honestly I completely agree with this.

Is it sad I feel like Warner would do a better job with the Muppets? Maybe even fox?