Bible Study

Blue Frackle

Reaction score
My honest to God opinion is life is just too long that it's so boring to be 100% vested in a religion.

Speaking of that Todd Rundgren song, he has another song I absolutely love called "Everybody's Going to Heaven", and I absolutely love this lyric:

But if I ever get to heaven
If I ever reach that door
I will listen why I had to go through this life
Why they just couldn't take me before

This is exactly what I'm saying.

@Old Thunder, I agree with everything you said, but to me, religion is not about reshaping your beliefs to fit what you want, but adhering to the rules set in place; I don't make them, I just abide to them.

My thought is, why not just go along and play the safe road instead of risking an eternity of torture? Like you have nothing to lose if you're religious, but everything if you aren't, and here's another thing I struggle with that kind of goes beyond this thread: sometimes I think nothing is real... like how is one religious? If I say I'm Buddhist does that automatically just make me Buddhist? That's kind of a big can of worms to open in this thread.

To me (I know I said this before), too much in life just makes too much sense (universe, karma, etc.) for there to have just been a "Big Bang"; by the same token, I don't just want to be a slave to a creator and do their bidding. I will if I have to, but I'd almost just rather not exist at that point, but if I don't have a choice, then I don't have a choice.

That took a dark turn, but this is quickly becoming my favorite thread at MC.

I even heard some Christians say that My Little Pony of all things is Satanic because the characters use magic. Talk about an eye roller, am I right? Cute cartoon ponies that use magic and teach kids the values of friendship is about the least Satanic thing I can think of! Maybe all they know about MLP is from the infamous gory Cupcakes fan animation on YouTube :stick_out_tongue:.
This is one that comes to mind for me as well; like what can you even do to have fun in life anymore? I mean, if we're all here for 80+ years or however long then that's just too long to be "tested"; I'm a good person - why do I have to prove that for so long?

At a certain point, all we know is all we can see. I guess you can play around with different beliefs and stuff, but at the end of the day if you've been a good person in life you should be rewarded; God knows that even with stuff beyond that (bills, ****** jobs, etc.), we all suffer.

Last thing is praying: why do Catholics have to say 'Our Father' and 'Hail Mary' thousands of times in their lives? Is God some giant generator that is replenished by prayers?

Last edited:

Old Thunder

Reaction score
@Old Thunder, I agree with everything you said, but to me, religion is not about reshaping your beliefs to fit what you want, but adhering to the rules set in place; I don't make them, I just abide to them.
To be honest, that wasn't quite the point I was making, sorry if it appeared that way. I was more of the line of re-examine things to see how they fit, and not re-purpose your beliefs to make it fit.

My thought is, why not just go along and play the safe road instead of risking an eternity of torture? Like you have nothing to lose if you're religious, but everything if you aren't
I struggled with that a lot (even sometimes now), but here's the thing: Christians tell you that if you're saved you automatically have 'fire insurance'... but you shouldn't be saved just to get that 'fire insurance'. You need to love God as well. I dunno, I think I'm screwed either way.

sometimes I think nothing is real...
This is me 24/7. I have a very very very bad grip on reality, half the time I think I'm walking through a trance, and yet that's part of the reason I'm so petrified of dying. God or not, I don't want everything to end for me, not yet at least.

Last thing is praying: why do Catholics have to say 'Our Father' and 'Hail Mary' thousands of times in their lives? Is God some giant generator that is replenished by prayers?
Well, the Catholics are also the people who have been raping children for years and then protecting their priests and condemning the victims, so I wouldn't put much stock in their crap.

Old Thunder

Reaction score
Oh yeah -
but this is quickly becoming my favorite thread at MC.
I actually kinda agree. I wasn't thrilled with this thread's concept when it began but our re-purposing this thread to be about religion as a whole, combined with our in-depth discussions, has proved to be far more interesting than I thought it would be.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I even heard some Christians say that My Little Pony of all things is Satanic because the characters use magic.
They said the same thing about HARRY POTTER back in the day.

As well as BEWITCHED and I DREAM OF JEANNIE.

When I was a kid, I lived next door to a family of religious fanatics, and everything other than Disney movies and VEGGIETALES was off limits. COW AND CHICKEN was considered an evil show because one of the main characters was practically the devil. Disney's version of THE HUNCHBACK OF NOTRE DAME left them shaken because of all the religious taboo in that movie.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Dude, I couldn't agree more. It was the first movie I ever saw multiple times in a theater: half a dozen times. I couldn't wait for it to come out on video, and when it did, I rewatched it over and over and over again.

LittleJerry92

Reaction score
Ironically for me, as a kid, I couldn't get past the scene of Quasimodo being tied down and pelted with produce. That was too dark for me.

Honestly I think that entire movie probably would have terrified me if I saw the whole thing as a kid. Wasn't until I was 15 that I watched the entire thing and it became my #1 Disney film.

Old Thunder

Reaction score
A lot of the story's intricacies went completely over my head as a youngster, but I loved how much darker it was from most. Now when I watch it I get all of it. It's the perfect balance between dark and deep, and funny and happy.

LittleJerry92

Reaction score
Random subject before going back on topic - Frollo is on my to dress up as list.

snichols1973

Reaction score

This second song encourages us to take a look at life from a funny perspective, even in the midst of death: