Video of Elmo with Richard Hunt's voice

PumpkinJ

Reaction score
He was being sarcastic. Also, aren't you afraid of applause?
Yessir, I am afraid of it, unless I use a parenthese'd appluase joke like that in some of my comments. Otherwise, I don't like applause when it comes to hearing it. I get scared to death by applause and loud cheering + screaming when I'm in crowded situations. ;(

minor muppetz

Reaction score
JOKE: Episode #2011 shares the same number as the year Being Elmo was released! :laugh:
Both episodes containing "Richard Hunt as Elmo" clips that appear in Being Elmo have guides at Muppet Wiki now, and the other one shares an episode number with this very year - 2018.

PumpkinJ

Reaction score
Both episodes containing "Richard Hunt as Elmo" clips that appear in Being Elmo have guides at Muppet Wiki now, and the other one shares an episode number with this very year - 2018.
OOOOO YEAH, MAN!!!! WHOO!!!! (clap clap clap clap clap)
2018, awesome 2nd-joke, man! :wink:
(I know, I have the sound off whenever I have to go across things like this, you know what it is.)

PumpkinJ

Reaction score
Now, of Elmo's street scene appearances from Seasons 11-16 (not counting any inserts from those seasons), here we have altogether:
  • Episode 1439 (Season 11, May 15, 1980) -- Oscar's Spanish sign/Elmo and the letter H
  • Episode 1475 (Season 12, January 2, 1981) — Elmo learns Spanish/Oscar's lunch
  • Episode 2011 (Season 16, January 21, 1985) — Elmo rhymes/Snuffle puppet show
  • Episode 2018 (Season 16, January 30, 1985) -- Elmo makes noises/Big Bird and Snuffy's pictures
Since some footage for the latter two was already found in Being Elmo, let's put our hopes to the ground that someone can leak any footage of Elmo from the former two online one day.

hooperfan

Reaction score
I find it interesting how they weren't afraid to use different eras of Ernie in the same episode. I know that was a prevalent thing in the '80s, for any character who had been around for a while.
They did that with people as well, I remember seeing old David clips in episodes when he no longer looked like that currently. Other cast members as well, but his appearance had changed the most

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Well, think about it: despite differences in appearances, Ernie was always the same character - the lovable jokester who always got the best of Bert. Likewise, David was always the resident cool cat. Maria was always "Sesame's Sweetheart." Elmo, on the other hand, became a completely different character when Kevin took over - not just the voice, but also in personality and mannerisms, turning him from another generic boisterous monster to a childlike monster full of love and curiosity. Much like how Big Bird went from being the dopey and brainless country bumpkin to the oversized six-year-old kid that we know and love him as.

LittleJerry92

Reaction score
And yet they still had no issue occasionally showing Green Grover up until the 80's, when he had a real jerky personality.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Actually, they did show some pre-Kevin Clash Elmo after the recast. I know there's a late-1980s episode that contains "Me, Claudias", unaltered. Don't know of any other examples, though I'm guessing most of Meehl and Hunt's Elmo performances were in street scenes that weren't inserts.

Also, while it seems season 12 was primarily where Elmo spoke in grunts and single words, that season did show inserts where Elmo spoke normally, most of which I assume were made before they gave Elmo his name and early personality. Though I recently read that, while the 40th anniversary DVD lists it as being from season 11 (and it probably was produced for that season), "Me, Claudias" was first shown in a season 12 episode (after that personality was established in an episode).

And yet they still had no issue occasionally showing Green Grover up until the 80's, when he had a real jerky personality.
For years I would have thought they wouldn't continue showing those, but do know of some post-season one instances of the original Grover being shown, though most of them have Grover in minor supporting/background roles. Though I've heard that the first season "G for Grover" segment appeared at least twice in the second season (lately, I've been wondering if Grover might have been rebuilt as blue by then. Probably not, but I think he was blue by the time of the "What Kind of Fool am I?" sketch on The Ed Sullivan Show which came around the time the first season ended).

But I am surprised (more so than to hear they continued past season one) to hear they were still showing such segments during the 1980s. Though I'd be willing to bet that Baker #5 would be the most frequently-shown green Grover segment, though I clicked on pictures from the segment to see what wiki pages link there and only counted seven episodes (with the last one on the wiki being from the 1970s), and I wouldn't be surprised if maybe they cut that part in later airings (like how it was cut when Sesame Workshop first uploaded it online). But you never know. And if the segments have frequently aired in the international co-productions, then it might not be that odd they'd show them on the show for years after the color change.

PumpkinJ

Reaction score
Though I recently read that, while the 40th anniversary DVD lists it as being from season 11 (and it probably was produced for that season), "Me, Claudias" was first shown in a season 12 episode (after that personality was established in an episode).
Also, which sketch would've been the Elmo puppet's very first or earliest known appearance? "We Are All Monsters" or "Monster Marching Band"? All of his other skits I labeled as Season 11 that I included on my 80s Early Elmo-thon video are actually from Season 12 (except for the two mentioned above).