The Classic Electric Company Memories Thread

fuzzygobo

Reaction score
Actually, Morgan went for ice cream instead of greens. And asked for asparagus instead of soul food. And Rita asked for spaghetti instead of meatloaf. And asked for hamburgers instead of hot dogs. And cherry pie instead of blueberry.

I love how when Morgan was singing his order, Vi goes, "Where are you gonna put all of that, Sugah?"
Okay, so I wasn't exact. But still not bad recall for a clip I haven't seen since I was five.

But Vi's "sugah" was always such a nice term of endearment.

fuzzygobo

Reaction score
Another cartoon piano player finds words and objects coming out of his piano. Cape, drape, and an ape. The ape smashes up the piano, (and finds a giant banana in the wreckage). The hapless ivory jangler imitates Jimmy Durante, "Everybody wants to get into the act!"

Last edited:

Xerus

Reaction score
Another cartoon piano player finds words and objects coming out of his piano. Cape, drape, and an ape. The ape smashes up the piano, (and finds a giant banana in the wreckage). The hapless ivory jangler imitates Jimmy Durante, "Everybody wants to get into the act!"
I remember that one too. The words were grape, cape, tape, drape, and ape.

Xerus

Reaction score
Does anyone remember this Letterman episode? The Spellbinder sneaks into someone's apartment building and finds an old lady in a rocking chair with a cat in her lap and knitting a sweater. SB took his wand and took away the CH in CHAIR, leaving the lady and her cat in thin AIR. They freaked as they started falling from the sky and about to hit the ground. Luckily, Letterman came and took the H from his sweater turning AIR into HAIR, causing the lady and the cat to land safely in a soft pile of hair. The lady thanked Letterman and showed him the knitted sweater she just finished. But then Spellbinder secretly tied a loose thread to the cat's tail and let loose a mouse. The cat ran after it, unraveling the poor lady's new sweater.

fuzzygobo

Reaction score
There was one obscure Letterman clip, showing our hero on a football field. SB changes the L in Letterman to W, making him a Wetter man. For added drama our hero is drowning in a pond on the field (this a few years before the Kinks hit "I Wish I Could Fly Like Superman", with Ray Davies' immortal line, "I wish I could fly, but I can't even swim!")

But might I digress. Letterman takes a B off his jersey, making him a Better man. Nice and dry.
I don't remember much else, but seeing Letterman almost drown was quite a freakout.

Xerus

Reaction score
There was one obscure Letterman clip, showing our hero on a football field. SB changes the L in Letterman to W, making him a Wetter man. For added drama our hero is drowning in a pond on the field (this a few years before the Kinks hit "I Wish I Could Fly Like Superman", with Ray Davies' immortal line, "I wish I could fly, but I can't even swim!")

But might I digress. Letterman takes a B off his jersey, making him a Better man. Nice and dry.
I don't remember much else, but seeing remember that one too.

I don't remember much else, but seeing Letterman almost drown was quite a freakout.
I remember that one too. Letterman also lost his clothes, except for his helmet and a white bathing suit and the b was still stuck to his chest, only it went from red to white. And at the end, Spellbinder was about to get away, until the "Adventures of Letterman," title card came from the left and pushed SB away, causing his to scream.

Xerus

Reaction score
Does anyone remember this P skit? We see J. Arthur Crank, played by Jim Boyd, sitting on his couch and gets a call on his phone. We hear a bunch of fast sped gibberish on the phone and Crank replied, "Yeah, this is The Electric Company. You got questions about the letter P?" Crank reaches into a nearby drawer and takes out a letter P. "Okay, ask away," said Crank. He listened to the caller's questions and got confused and cranky. Crank replied, "No, the letter P does not have teeth! No, the letter P cannot cure a cold! If you screw a letter P into a lamp socket, does it light up? No, it doesn't light up!" He then had it with the caller and hung up. And Crank said, "Some people have strange notions about the letter P." He looks at the P in his hand and asks, "You don't have teeth, do you?"

Xerus

Reaction score
Does anyone remember this cartoon? We see a guy with his dog and the guy showed him a PR and told the dog to go fetch as he threw it away. The dog returned the PR and it came back as the word PRESS. "Very good," smiled the guy as he disconnected the ESS and threw the PR again. The dog brought it back, now as the word PRUNE. The guy threw the PR again, and the dog brought back the word PRIZE. And the guy threw it one last time, but the dog didn't bring back the PR, instead he brought back a huge police car. "What do we have here?" asked the guy surprised. A cop stuck his head out the car window and replied, "A PROBLEM!" The guy tells the dog, "You're a bad dog!" And the dog drops the car on the ground and starts to moan.

MikaelaMuppet

Reaction score
The J. Arthur Crank and Oscar The Grouch song was played on Muppet Central Radio just recently.

fuzzygobo

Reaction score
Does anyone remember this cartoon? We see a guy with his dog and the guy showed him a PR and told the dog to go fetch as he threw it away. The dog returned the PR and it came back as the word PRESS. "Very good," smiled the guy as he disconnected the ESS and threw the PR again. The dog brought it back, now as the word PRUNE. The guy threw the PR again, and the dog brought back the word PRIZE. And the guy threw it one last time, but the dog didn't bring back the PR, instead he brought back a huge police car. "What do we have here?" asked the guy surprised. A cop stuck his head out the car window and replied, "A PROBLEM!" The guy tells the dog, "You're a bad dog!" And the dog drops the car on the ground and starts to moan.
There was a live action "PR" skit. Unfortunately all I can remember of it, June Angela and Stephen Gustafson as guests on a fake tv show demonstrating they know how to PRUNE.
They take garden shears and pop a bunch of balloons. Thanks to CTW's resourcefulness, the score is taken from Sesame Street's scene of Bob, Luis, and the train coming out of the tunnel.

When I was little, I had trouble with loud noises, and popping balloons used to freak me out.

So how did I get over my fear of loud noise? I joined a rock band in high school. Brilliant.