It's Official: Caroll Spinney retires from Sesame Street after nearly 50 years

Oscarfan

Reaction score
After seeing that tribute video Sesame Workshop did to honor Caroll Spinney, I was thinking that's the kind of thing Sesame Workshop hasn't done for its official YouTube channel, and hope they can do more with other performers and people involved with the show.

But now I wonder if maybe they were planning such a series and it's a coincidence that it was uploaded right when Caroll announced his retirement. Unless he already talked about it to Sesame Workshop and the video was put together and they were saving it until he retired. But I noticed that at the beginning, Guy Smiley refers to Spinney as the guy who plays Big Bird (not played, though he was still to do the characters for one more day), and there's no mention in the actual video (just the description) that he's retired.
Considering there was the whole NY Times article, I think it's safe to say they had this planned for a little while now.

I can't quite remember, but didn't they do something similar for Jerry Nelson's passing and Fran Brill's retirement?
I don't recall them doing anything for Fran (aside from the in-joke in The Cookie Thief special). I do remember when Jerry passed away, the YouTube channel uploaded a few videos in a bulk that features his characters.

Pig'sSaysAdios

Reaction score
Here are some beautiful pictures from Caroll's final performance on Thursday courtesy of Sesame Workshop.

Lol, Tyler and Tau clapping from down on the floor. Also, Carmen's hair is on point.

Man, these pics are great. So amazing to see so many people there. I especially love the second to last one with Caroll and Debbie.

And dagnabbit, now I'm having feelings! :frown: