The Classic Electric Company Memories Thread

Xerus

Reaction score
Fuzzygobo, here's a 3 part skit I remember with a loud noise at the end. We see a bookshelf with a letter M and a flower vase on top. In comes Morgan Freeman dressed in a gray teacher's suit and glasses. Morgan explained that normally, funny things are always happening on The Electric Company. But for once, he's going to do a serious lecture, with no funny stuff at all. Morgan started talking about the letter M, but as he spoke, the flower in the vase started to droop and rise, making funny cartoon noises. Morgan tried to dismiss that and took out a book to look for M words. But rubber snakes popped out of the book. "It's okay," said Morgan, "I have a list of M words," he reached into his coat pocket and pulled out a series of colored handkerchiefs tied together. "Well, who needs a list?" said Morgan trying to stay calm. He thought of the word, marshmallows. And a storm of marshmallows started to pour down on his head. "I didn't need that." Morgan said calmly.
In Part 2. Morgan asked if someone would bring in the next letters. And a basket on a rope was lowered down. Morgan searched through the basket and found a rubber chicken, along with the letters ND. He placed the letters on the bookshelf and the basket went back up. Morgan told us that this time no funny stuff will happen during this lecture. As he named some ND words, Jennifer of the Jungle (Judy Graubart), interrupted him by swinging by on a vine shouting her "OI-OI-OI," trademark jungle yell. And once again, Morgan said, "I didn't need that!"
In Part 3, Morgan decided to step outside so no funny stuff will happen in his last lecture. He came across a brick wall with an OU painted on it. Morgan started naming some OU words. Just then, Paul the Gorilla busted through the wall, causing Morgan to scream like crazy. Paul was holding a sign that said, "LOUD SOUND." Morgan finally had it and walked off trying to calm himself down.
I remember how much that wall busting scene almost kept giving me heart attacks as a kid.

fuzzygobo

Reaction score
Speaking of Morgan playing a scene for laughs (and spoofing the Myrna cartoon where she falls through the floor with her furniture), his character Marvin walks into a living room, and everything he touches falls apart. Tables, chairs, curtains, the whole deal.
The kicker was when Marvin reaches behind the couch to pet his dog. We hear the sound of the dog growling and trying to bite him, and Marvin's reaction, "Stop it, you ignorant beast!"
After the curtains fall on his head, Marvin feels around blindly, coming across Lee Chamberlin standing in the doorway, none too pleased with the trashed room. After feeling her face, Marvin wonders, "Oh, what's this?"

There was a similar skit where Morgan was trying to make breakfast, and the food actually talked to him. The two examples that vividly stand out, he cracks an egg, the egg yells "OUCH!" and the word ouch is written on the shell.
A piece of bread begs not to go in the toaster. Out comes a piece of toast burned beyond recognition, and written on the toast said, "I told you you'd burn me!"

Don't be cruel to your food.

Xerus

Reaction score
Letterman in, IN A JAM: We see a cloud of fog and the Spellbinder walking out of it. He spots a town in a valley and above was a huge stone dam. He had an evil idea and turns the D in DAM into a J making it JAM. The people in the town watched as a huge tidal wave of strawberry jam was about to bury them and they all ran away in panic. Luckily, Letterman came out of the fog, removed the D from his sweater and turned JAM back into DAM, and all the jam went back up and reformed into the stone dam. The people cheered as Letterman few off. And the grumpy Spellbinder was about to walk back into the fog, but started stomping on a bed of flowers first.

fuzzygobo

Reaction score
Back to the diner...

Jim Boyd is a cranky customer (but not playing J. Arthur Crank) complaining to his waitress Judy about how THIN his bologna sandwich is. He wanted a THICK sandwich.
Since the customer is always right, she sticks the whole roll of bologna between the slices of bread, a good nine inches thick.
Jim tries to take a bite and breaks his jaw, running out the door screaming.
Skip comes in, commenting what a big mouth that guy has.

Jim spent the rest of the day slaying Philistines, since he had the jawbone of an a$$. 8)

fuzzygobo

Reaction score
Letterman in, IN A JAM: We see a cloud of fog and the Spellbinder walking out of it. He spots a town in a valley and above was a huge stone dam. He had an evil idea and turns the D in DAM into a J making it JAM. The people in the town watched as a huge tidal wave of strawberry jam was about to bury them and they all ran away in panic. Luckily, Letterman came out of the fog, removed the D from his sweater and turned JAM back into DAM, and all the jam went back up and reformed into the stone dam. The people cheered as Letterman few off. And the grumpy Spellbinder was about to walk back into the fog, but started stomping on a bed of flowers first.
It's really neat to see the little tantrums Spellbinder throws when his plans get foiled.
I believe there was one with a bunch of school kinds (and their pets) sailing on the ocean in a BOAT. Spellbinder paddles out in a rowboat and changes the boat to a COAT, which starts to sink.
Letterman changes the coat back to a boat, saves the kids, and SB breaks his oars and throws them in the water, so all he can do is drift... and pout.

Xerus

Reaction score
It's really neat to see the little tantrums Spellbinder throws when his plans get foiled.
I believe there was one with a bunch of school kinds (and their pets) sailing on the ocean in a BOAT. Spellbinder paddles out in a rowboat and changes the boat to a COAT, which starts to sink.
Letterman changes the coat back to a boat, saves the kids, and SB breaks his oars and throws them in the water, so all he can do is drift... and pout.
I remember that one too. It seems like SB is always putting school children in danger. And this time, their pets too?!

Xerus

Reaction score
Here's the Short Circus singing, Vampire, along with Morgan Freeman as Dracula.

Xerus

Reaction score
?-Elevator. Does anyone remember this skit? We see an elevator operator (Jim Boyd) in an elevator, and along comes Luis Avalos in a nightgown and nightcap carrying a bed with him. "Hold it!" said Jim, "This is not the BED elevator. The bed elevator is located on the north side of the building." "I've had a rough night," yawned Luis, "Let me come in." And he stepped inside and set the bed up and went to sleep before Jim could stop him. Then an old lady (Judy Graubart) came in with a huge dog on a leash. (A person in a giant dog suit.) Jim said, "Hold it! This in not the PET elevator. The pet elevator is located on the south side of the building. "Well, I'm lousy at directions." said Judy, "But he likes you." And the dog started to cuddle Jim. Then a 1776 colonist (Skip Hinnant) came in holding a liberty bell and asked, "This is the BELL elevator, isn't it? I was told the bell elevator was located on the east side of the building." "This is the west side of the building!" shouted Jim. "Well, as long as I'm here...." said Skip. "That's it, everybody out!" shouted Jim. They all asked if this isn't the BED, PET, or BELL elevator, which elevator is this? "I'll show you," said Jim as he pushed a button, and it started to rain in the elevator getting everyone wet. "I hope my bell doesn't rust, it's already got a crack in it." said Skip. "I was just getting comfy!" shouted Luis in his soaked bed. Judy took out her umbrella while Skip tried to get his bell underneath it. Then the elevator closed as the words, WET elevator, appeared.

Xerus

Reaction score
Here's Morgan Freeman again, playing Vincent the Vegetable Vampire.

Xerus

Reaction score
Letterman in, Putting His Foot in it: We see a royal ball happening and Letterman is seen dancing with Princess Betty. The princess asks Letterman if he's done a great feat? "Yes," said Letterman, "I have done a great feat." The Spellbinder was watching from the chandelier and had an idea. He changed the A in FEAT into an E, changing Letterman's great FEAT into great big FEET! And his feet started to grow, covering up the entire dance floor. "You're standing on my toe!" shouted the princess, "Never have I met anyone so clumsy! And besides, stepping on a princess's toe is against the law!" Letterman sadly stomped out of the castle while Joan narrated, "Will Letterman's feet stay big? Where will he get his shoes?" Letterman saw he was wearing his "A" sweater. So he took the A and turned FEET back into FEAT causing his feet to shrink back down to normal size. "And my feat will be to defeat the evil one!" said Letterman as he spotted the Spellbinder hiding behind a bush. "Uh oh!" gasped SB as he ran off while Letterman chased after him.