Stephanie D'Abruzzo responds about Caroll Spinney

GrouchFanatic

Reaction score
Can I stress how perfect Stephanie is as Prarie Dawn? Like, she is perfect in every way, shape, and form as Prarie. One of the best recasts we've had in a while.
I couldn’t agree with you more! She’s incredible! If only she got Zoe too! Jennifer sounds NOTHING AT ALL like Fran

minor muppetz

Reaction score
So..... How often did Caroll Spinney provide the voices of his characters this past season (I kinda feel there should be a Muppet Wiki page, at least a sandbox page, for his season 48-50 performances)? I thought I read that he was Oscar in at least one episode.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I couldn’t agree with you more! She’s incredible! If only she got Zoe too! Jennifer sounds NOTHING AT ALL like Fran
To be fair, Jen has a very similar nasally texture to her voice that Fran did, which I think I can understand why they had her take on Zoe after Fran's retirement.

That being said, however, as far as Muppet recast go, Jen as Zoe is perhaps the most noticeable . . . and this is coming from someone who took years to get used to Eric's Bert and Fozzie, and David's Cookie Monster.

antsamthompson9

Reaction score

antsamthompson9

Reaction score
To be fair, Jen has a very similar nasally texture to her voice that Fran did, which I think I can understand why they had her take on Zoe after Fran's retirement.

That being said, however, as far as Muppet recast go, Jen as Zoe is perhaps the most noticeable . . . and this is coming from someone who took years to get used to Eric's Bert and Fozzie, and David's Cookie Monster.
Honestly, if Stephanie had taken over Zoe instead, people would still complain about the voice being different. And that's because Zoe's voice was kinda close to Fran's natural voice. When a performer inherits a character who's voice was close to the original performer's voice, it gets difficult to duplicate it. That's why neither Matt nor Peter's Robin sound like Jerry's Robin. As for me personally, I've warmed up to Jen's Zoe, cause even if she sounds different, she's just as adorable as she ever was. Plus, I'm kinda proud of myself for predicting that Jen would get Zoe when Fran's retirement was announced.

MWoO

Reaction score
Honestly, if Stephanie had taken over Zoe instead, people would still complain about the voice being different. And that's because Zoe's voice was kinda close to Fran's natural voice. When a performer inherits a character who's voice was close to the original performer's voice, it gets difficult to duplicate it. That's why neither Matt nor Peter's Robin sound like Jerry's Robin. As for me personally, I've warmed up to Jen's Zoe, cause even if she sounds different, she's just as adorable as she ever was. Plus, I'm kinda proud of myself for predicting that Jen would get Zoe when Fran's retirement was announced.
This is true. Its why Kermit is hard to nail as it was close to Jim's voice, but Link Hogthrob (to me anyway) was nailed by Steve and Peter ( more so Peter).

Pig'sSaysAdios

Reaction score
This is true. Its why Kermit is hard to nail as it was close to Jim's voice, but Link Hogthrob (to me anyway) was nailed by Steve and Peter ( more so Peter).
Yeah, it's pretty hard to tell a difference between all the Link voices, especially between Steve and Peter.

But I think the issue of characters sounding close to their performer's real voice, I think this is why Big Bird's voice is harder to imitate. Baby Bear's and Rosita's voices seem like they would be a challenge, also.

MWoO

Reaction score
True. I think Eric sounds more like Oscar than Matt sounds like Big Bird and Big Bird is more like Caroll's actual voice. Matt is still pretty excellent though. When I first heard it back in the mid nineties I thought that Caroll just had a cold the day he recorded.