The "You know what?" thread

Pig'sSaysAdios

Reaction score
You know? I was watching The Great Pumpkin earlier with my little brother, and I was thinking - it's amazing how enamored kids are with Charlie Brown specials, even when they have no idea what the characters are talking about half the time.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Speaking of Charlie Brown specials and such, you know what? It seems to me that Peanuts have become exactly what Charlie Brown was speaking out against in A CHARLIE BROWN CHRISTMAS: holiday commercial rackets. I mean, when do you ever see Peanuts stuff in stores but the holidays? And every year, they always come out with new decorations and such they want you to buy - especially when it comes to Snoopy.

cjd874

Reaction score
You know? I was watching The Great Pumpkin earlier with my little brother, and I was thinking - it's amazing how enamored kids are with Charlie Brown specials, even when they have no idea what the characters are talking about half the time.
It's gotten to the point that when someone says "Charlie Brown Christmas tree" or "the Great Pumpkin," everyone instantly knows what they're talking about. Those specials are such staples of American pop culture that even eight- and nine-year olds get the joke.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
It's kind of interesting that SS now does 36 episodes a season, considering once upon a time, that's about how many episodes a primetimes series used to have a season back in the 1960s before that number was eventually whittled down to 22-24 or 13.

LittleJerry92

Reaction score
So this may be a shocker, but I actually don't mind toads anymore.

I mean, at least now I can look at pictures of them. I might still get jumpy if I see one in person because they blend in very easily, but at least they're not slimey looking like regular frogs.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I don't know what it is, but for whatever reason, November is always a particularly creative month for me. Never really been sure why, exactly, but I've noticed over the years, that November is a month where my creative juices seem to flow more than usual. Like November 2008, for example, is when I developed another one of my puppet sitcom concepts that still never went anyway yet. There are other Novembers in years past where they turned into puppet building months for me, and this year is no exception, as I try to work on building a new Steve D'Monster as well as a new Ella the Elf for a new Christmas sketch next month.

Then again, it's not just November. I've also noticed that February, April, and September are also particularly creative months for me as well.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I've been a little unfairly critical of Gonger. It's not like he's the only monster SS has ever had who can't speak coherently . . . I mean, look at 2-Headed Monster . . . can anybody ever understand anything they say? Not entirely, but you get the gist of their communication. Gonger is the same way.

Pig'sSaysAdios

Reaction score
I've been a little unfairly critical of Gonger. It's not like he's the only monster SS has ever had who can't speak coherently . . . I mean, look at 2-Headed Monster . . . can anybody ever understand anything they say? Not entirely, but you get the gist of their communication. Gonger is the same way.
Personally, I never had much of a hard time figuring out what he was saying, but I can understand how other people would. It seems like it would be even harder for the kids watching.
I have always liked Gonger, though. He's a cute character, he's got a nice design, and good chemistry with Cookie Monster. He's one of the few characters from recurring segments that I could actually see appearing in some street scenes at some point in the future. Maybe their food truck can become a long running locale like the Two-Headed Monster's newsstand.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Personally, I never had much of a hard time figuring out what he was saying, but I can understand how other people would. It seems like it would be even harder for the kids watching.
That was my main concern, that the kids watching wouldn't be able to understand him, between the British accent, the speech impediment, and his monster talk - which sounds similar to Ubbi-Dubbi speak from ZOOM. The latter of which seems to have been toned down a little, save for an occasional word here or there (like, "cwan-buh-bewwies").

ConsummateVs

Reaction score
Honestly, the MAD TV series (the one that aired on Cartoon Network, not MadTV) is a bit dated now, with all of its early 2010's pop culture and celebrity references. Some skits still hold up today, though; my personal favorite being "VeggieTales From the Crypt".