The Classic Electric Company Memories Thread

fuzzygobo

Reaction score
Exclamation Point Jacket: We see Jim Boyd and Luis Avalos meeting each other on the street. Jim was wearing a brown jacket and tie and Luis was wearing a tie and blue jacket covered with exclamation points. Luis shouted, "HELLO! HOW DO YOU DO?!" Jim held his ears and asked Luis why he was yelling. "I DON'T KNOW!" said Luis wondering too. Jim suggested that maybe Luis was yelling because he was wearing that exclamation point jacket. "MAYBE!" said Luis. Jim suggested that they trade jackets to see if that was true. And they did. Luis, now wearing Jim's plain brown jacket was now speaking normally and asked, "How does it feel." And Jim now wearing the exclamation suit shouted, "TIGHT! REALLY TIGHT!"
Jim and Luis (those two could shake the walls with their screaming) were at it again, arguing over who knows what.
Jim: "I was!"
Luis: "I was!"
Back and forth we go. When the shouting escalates to a fever pitch, Morgan Freeman as a cop shows up, asking who was yelling.
Jim: "He was!"
Luis: "He was!"
Round we go again, till Morgan rolls his eyes and leaves them be.
I hope Jim and Luis don't spend eternity in Heaven yelling their heads off.

fuzzygobo

Reaction score
Double consonants.

A short cartoon of a supermarket checkout line.
The cashier rings up the groceries, and the customer shoves them right in his face.

Apples
Cherries
Carrots
Lettuce
Peppers
Jelly
Marshmallows
Butter
Cabbage
That will be $123.45.
Customer: "Duh, for what?"

If we were in England, you could add currants to the list.

Xerus

Reaction score
Double consonants.

A short cartoon of a supermarket checkout line.
The cashier rings up the groceries, and the customer shoves them right in his face.

Apples
Cherries
Carrots
Lettuce
Peppers
Jelly
Marshmallows
Butter
Cabbage
That will be $123.45.
Customer: "Duh, for what?"

If we were in England, you could add currants to the list.
I also remember at the beginning of that cartoon, it was called a SUPER market. And it showed superheroes in costumes shopping there. I guess that customer's superpower is the ability to eat large amounts of food without exploding.

fuzzygobo

Reaction score
Two skits from Season 1 featuring "sh" words.

Morgan Freeman and Lee Chamberlin are in bed (with night caps on) on a dark and stormy night. They see shadows of shapes on the wall.
A ship, shark, shovel, and sheep. One shadow gets bigger, is it a monster standing in the doorway? No, it's only Bill Cosby (in a Mets uniform, with a baseball mitt over his face). He's a shy shortstop! Asked why he was there, Cosby replied, "We got rained out!"
Getting rained out happened often at Shea Stadium.

In a more obscure skit (after a year or two, it got dropped from rotation) Cosby walks into a kitchen. Looks like he came from somebody's birthday, he has a party hat on his head and balloons tied to his wrist.

The only dialogue I remember, Cosby keeps reaching for the cookie jar. "Cookie! Cookie! Cookie!"
Lee Chamberlin was the voice of his conscience.
"Sheldon, shape up."
But temptation is too great for Cosby.
"Sheldon! Ship out!!!!"
I wish I could remember how the skit ended. But if it were up to me, I'd grab the cookies and tell my conscience to "SHOVE IT!!" 8)

Xerus

Reaction score
Does anyone remember this skit? We see Morgan Freeman in a business suit, coming home exhausted after a long day at work. He replies, "When I get home from a busy day, I like to relax." Then he goes into the closet and a second later, comes out in a hockey uniform, along with a stick and skates. "I like to relax by playing hockey." he said as he started knocking pucks into the fireplace, pretending it was a goal. "And when I feel tired of hitting pucks, I like to pretend to be a goalie." he said as he skated over to the fireplace. "So if you want to relax," said Morgan, "I suggest you try hockey." Then his wife, played by Hattie Winston, came in and she too was exhausted after a long day at work and wanted to relax too. She went into the same closet and came out a second later dressed as a football player and holding a ball. "All right!" shouted Hattie, "Time to relax. YAHOO!" and she kicked the ball across the room while Morgan continued to hit some pucks.

fuzzygobo

Reaction score
One neat little film clip from Season 1. Scenes of different cars and the words "parking lot" and "cars" displayed with some nifty psychedelic graphics.
The music is from Walter (Wendy) Carlos' groundbreaking album, Switched On Bach. Very nice rendition of Bach's "Jesu, Joy of Man's Desire". At the age of three, probably my first exposure to classical music.

Xerus

Reaction score
Does anyone remember this cartoon by Fred Garbers? We see a man standing there waiting for something. When a nurse hands him a baby and says, "Congratulations, it's a BOY." The man goes, "Oh boy! I've always wanted a boy. I'll name him ROY!" The baby angrily squeezes the man's nose. "Okay," said the man, "I won't name him Roy, I'll name him TROY!" The baby yanked the man's ear. "Okay, I'll name him LLOYD!" said the man. But the baby pulled on the man's hair. "Oh, sorry," said the nurse, "I made a mistake. It's a girl." "Oh, okay," said the man, "I'll name her JOY!" And the baby threw out confetti and blew a party whistle. "Aw, she likes it." smiled the man.

fuzzygobo

Reaction score
Two shout-outs for the current Grinch movie:

Skip is blindfolded, and various cast members bring him various things to identify. All "gr" words
Grapes, Grain, Gravel, so far so good. Things get messy (and gross) when he sticks his hands in Gravy. Yuck!
Things get worse when his hands get covered in Grease.

In comes Judy dressed as an old lady. Skip gets his greasy fingers all over her dirtying up her face. He is stumped and takes off his blindfold.

Skip: "Granny!!!!"
Judy: "Gregory!!!!"
The two hug, spreading more grease.
Skip: "How's Grandpa?"
Judy: "Oh, great!"
Skip: "Ew, you're a mess!"
Just: "Oh, you're delicious!"

In a short companion piece, we have a great grape and a grumpy grape. The great grape was groovy, all smiles, while the grumpy grape had a permanent scowl.

And while the great grape remained great, the grumpy grape shriveled up into a raisin.

As a parting shot, the grumpy grape blows us a Bronx cheer.
"PTPTPTPT!!!!!" 8)

Xerus

Reaction score
A Tie For My Niece: We see Skip Hinnant on the street as a necktie salesman. And Morgan Freeman comes up and asks to buy a tie for his niece. Skip started laughing at such a thought. "No one buys a tie for their niece!" he laughed. But then Morgan's niece, played by Hattie Winston, came along, and it turns out she was a policewoman who wears a tie with her uniform. Skip stopped laughing and became embarrassed. And then a Scotsman (Jim Boyd) dressed in a kilt came by and asked, "I'm looking to buy a skirt for me brother, Bert."

Xerus

Reaction score
Letterman in, Special Delivery. We see the Spellbinder waiting in line at the post office holding a box to mail. He kept shouting to hurry up the line, and the guy in front of him said, "Just wait your turn like everyone else." SB just mocked the guy and had an idea to get in front. SB took out his wand and takes away the B in BOX turning it into a huge OX. The people jumped away in shock as SB rode his ox to the front of the line, while the woman at the front desk was horrified. "I'd like to mail this to Oxford, please," cackled SB. Luckily, Letterman was in another line at the post office and saw what SB did. So Letterman takes the B off his sweater and turns OX back into BOX. And SB finds himself trapped in a huge brown box with only his head and feet sticking out. And everyone got back in line, while SB was feeling all boxed up.