Unpopular Opinions

LittleJerry92

Reaction score
I just couldn't stand alot about the show.

The animation looked like it came from a MAD cartoon that was better off just being a one-shot skit. His voice was also pretty irritating.

The episode with the funny face seriously creeped me out the first time I saw it. Didn't also help that I've had reccuring dreams similar to that of Bluebell the Cow from the Thomas and Friends episode "Cows" stalking me in my own house (yes, that's how effed up my dreams can get).

However, I will give it credit where credit is due - Pizza Steve was a pretty funny chararacter.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Yesterday was the first time I saw Emmet Otter in its entirety since I was a kid.

When I saw it as a kid, I hated it . . . I thought it was very depressing, and not at all Muppety (as in zany, wacky, and off-beat with underlying melancholy).

Seeing it again as an adult . . . well, I don't hate it . . . but, at the same time, it's still very depressing. In fact, I'd even say it's a bit maudlin as well: much of the special is pretty much Emmet and Ma lamenting Pa's death, how dirt poor they are, how they've pretty much sold everything they have . . . I mean, this goes on for quite some time before we actually get to building up the talent contest and everything.

Still, the puppets and the sets are absolutely amazing, but I somehow feel like the special might have worked better as a half-hour instead of an hour, with much less time devoted to Emmet and Ma feeling sorry for themselves.

Censored

Reaction score
Yesterday was the first time I saw Emmet Otter in its entirety since I was a kid.

When I saw it as a kid, I hated it . . . I thought it was very depressing, and not at all Muppety (as in zany, wacky, and off-beat with underlying melancholy).

Seeing it again as an adult . . . well, I don't hate it . . . but, at the same time, it's still very depressing. In fact, I'd even say it's a bit maudlin as well: much of the special is pretty much Emmet and Ma lamenting Pa's death, how dirt poor they are, how they've pretty much sold everything they have . . . I mean, this goes on for quite some time before we actually get to building up the talent contest and everything.

Still, the puppets and the sets are absolutely amazing, but I somehow feel like the special might have worked better as a half-hour instead of an hour, with much less time devoted to Emmet and Ma feeling sorry for themselves.
They were hardly feeling sorry for themselves. They were working to make their lives better. It had just enough edge to make it interesting for kids and adults. It is truly Henson in every sense of the word.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
They were hardly feeling sorry for themselves. They were working to make their lives better.
All the while bemoaning about how poor they were, how Pa had nothing to leave them because the snake oil business was a bust, how they've had to hawk almost everything they had, how their Christmases can't be merrier, on and on and on and on and on for the first several minutes of the special. They could have summed it all up in half the time, and it still would have driven the point him without them having to repeat it like a broken record.

Censored

Reaction score
All the while bemoaning about how poor they were, how Pa had nothing to leave them because the snake oil business was a bust, how they've had to hawk almost everything they had, how their Christmases can't be merrier, on and on and on and on and on for the first several minutes of the special. They could have summed it all up in half the time, and it still would have driven the point him without them having to repeat it like a broken record.
Well, what were they supposed to do? Celebrate his death and their poverty? Sorry, but life is not always just fun and games at any time of the year. This was the kind of comedy-drama that Henson was really a master of. BTW, there are different versions of it. One version has more scenes with Kermit in it. Other versions have extra dialogue.

newsmanfan

Reaction score
"Jingle Bells" actually originated as a Thanksgiving song. How and why, I don't know, but yeah.

And while we're at it, let's also look at other Christmas songs that aren't technically Christmas songs either:

• "Let it Snow! Let it Snow! Let it Snow!"
  • "Baby, it's Cold Outside"
  • "I've Got My Love to Keep Me Warm"
  • "Walkin' in a Winter Wonderland"

To name a few.
I much prefer those to the actual "Christmas Carols" which tend to be either too religious or too sappy for my taste.

Blue Frackle

Reaction score
I much prefer those to the actual "Christmas Carols" which tend to be either too religious or too sappy for my taste.
This year I actually paid attention to the Xmas music on the radio and was pretty surprised at how religious some of it is.