The "You know what?" thread

Flaky Pudding

Reaction score
While I overall enjoyed MAD for the most part, I do however remember thinking that some of it may have been a bit too mean spirited by kid's show standards. One example would be a brief clip where a chihuahua tries to pee on a fire hydrant and the fire hydrant sprayed a bunch of water out on him. A messaged the popped up reading,

"In loving memory,
Roberto the chihuahua,
2005-2012,"

Yeah, killing off a cute dog for no reason is a bit on edge for a kid's show if you ask me. Also I never liked the skit where they said Aerosmith singer Steven Tyler looks like a Blobfish. That sounds like a Family Guy joke if I've ever heard one. Like I said, most of MAD was clever and creative but there were some things here and there that I think would've worked better in an adult cartoon as opposed to a show meant for the younger demographic.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
In Back to the Future Part III, when Doc accidentally brings up Marty's future car accident, which had not yet happened to Marty, Marty asks what accident and Doc decides not to say on grounds that he shouldn't know too much about his own future, Marty asks "what is wrong with my future?", almost like he was aware of his future being bad.

Now he kinda was. When he saw Biff in 2015, and Biff thought he was Marty Jr., he's surprised to learn from Biff that he will become a loser, though he's not given much time to think about this before Griff comes in. And it doesn't seem to be on Marty's mind throughout the adventure, but could he have suddenly remembered what Biff told him (maybe he could have said "the Biff of 2015 told me there was something wrong with my future")? Or could it have been a combination of this and the few times in 2015 when Doc tells Marty he shouldn't know too much about his future when Marty asks how he turns out, perhaps Marty sensing Doc's not telling him on grounds that it's too bad - even though the Doc of 1955 had already told Marty they shouldn't know too much about their own futures? Heck, could Marty have actually noticed Doc's brief double-take in 1985 before telling Marty that he and Jennifer will turn out fine?

It's also interesting, Doc seems to be concerned about people knowing too much about the future, and keeps Marty's car accident/bad future a secret from him, and he doesn't want him to know things like future sports scores, but these things had not happened to them yet - the future could change, but when continuing from their 1985 present, things won't be confusing. And also, Doc took Marty to the future to prevent his future son from going to jail, is that any different from warning him about a car accident?

And when Jennifer tells Doc that the paper she got from the future erased, Doc's just happy about the future not being written yet, unconcerned about future changes. Doc isn't told what was on the paper nor was he told that Marty avoided the car accident (unless Doc had known the exact time of the accident and went to 1985 after that time - though it would have made more sense to travel there a few seconds after Marty's return - he had no way of knowing that Marty would be there when he showed up).*

And that's ignoring the fact that 1955 Doc learns a bit more about 1985 Doc's future fate. Marty tells 1955 Doc about why he's back there, briefly mentioning getting a book from Biff (but I feel that's easy to forget, and he's not that detailed), after they see Doc's headstone (which Marty probably should have just avoided telling the 1955 Doc - it would have made more sense for him to want to rescue Doc without telling him, and would explain why that Doc is surprised when Marty comes back for him), and Doc does seem to be a little careless in 1885. It's one thing before Marty comes back for him, when it looks like he won't be returning to 1985 (any alternate reality he creates from his time in 1885 won't affect him because he won't be back and confused, though Marty could be confused by the changes), but after Marty comes back and Doc expects to return, they do things like rescue Clara (don't they remember Marty endangering his life by saving his dad?) and don't care much about the train crashing (though this would be out of necessity for them).

*And this is ignoring the comic books, which reveal that Doc's trip to 1985 at the end of part III was not his first trip to the future after being in 1885, and had some interaction with Marty before Doc went to that point in time, so that Doc would have known Marty's future will be better.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Zooey Deschanel's from California, but I swear she's got a slight southern drawl in the way she talks and sings.

ConsummateVs

Reaction score
It's kinda hard to believe that the animation in the Money For Nothing music video was once considered state of the art. CG animation has come such a long way since it came out.

But if you ask me, it actually dosen't look too bad by today's standards. Dated, yes, but not horrible. It's certainly a lot more charming and easy on the eyes than Rapsittie Street Kids, and that came out 17 years after this video!

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I mean, heck, even the original TOY STORY looks primitive by today's standard, but I remember what a big deal it was when it first came out, considering it was the first-ever all-CGI animated feature film.

mr3urious

Reaction score
It's kinda hard to believe that the animation in the Money For Nothing music video was once considered state of the art. CG animation has come such a long way since it came out.
And most importantly, it's from the same studio that would eventually give us ReBoot and Beast Wars. :smile:

LittleJerry92

Reaction score

But if you ask me, it actually dosen't look too bad by today's standards. Dated, yes, but not horrible. It's certainly a lot more charming and easy on the eyes than Rapsittie Street Kids, and that came out 17 years after this video!
Dude, are you a Dire Straits fan??? That's legit one of my favorite songs from them (my dad also really loves the song), and that music video is FIRE!

LittleJerry92

Reaction score
I mean, heck, even the original TOY STORY looks primitive by today's standard, but I remember what a big deal it was when it first came out, considering it was the first-ever all-CGI animated feature film.
For real though! I remember when I first saw a preview for Toy Story on the 1996 VHS release of "The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh" as a kid, it was super mind-blowing at that time.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I'm actually kind of curious as to what made SS decide to bring back two of Jerry Nelson's older characters: Herry Monster and The Amazing Mumford.

Granted, Mumford is a little more confusing, considering there's actually an unwritten reason why he was retired: Abby. But Herry kind of stopped being a regular/major character after Season 30. I doubt the initial reason those characters were retired/phased out to begin with was due to availability: Jerry continued to perform regularly on SS up into the mid-to-late 2000s when he physically was unable to anymore, then began to dub his characters' voices like Count and Mr. Johnson; he especially performed a lot of incidental, one-shot, AMs and such during Seasons 31-33.

cjd874

Reaction score
I'm actually kind of curious as to what made SS decide to bring back two of Jerry Nelson's older characters: Herry Monster and The Amazing Mumford.

Granted, Mumford is a little more confusing, considering there's actually an unwritten reason why he was retired: Abby. But Herry kind of stopped being a regular/major character after Season 30. I doubt the initial reason those characters were retired/phased out to begin with was due to availability: Jerry continued to perform regularly on SS up into the mid-to-late 2000s when he physically was unable to anymore, then began to dub his characters' voices like Count and Mr. Johnson; he especially performed a lot of incidental, one-shot, AMs and such during Seasons 31-33.
Back in Season 40, there were minor cameos of older characters like Harvey Kneeslapper and Forgetful Jones (and that brief speaking role from Sherlock Hemlock!). But now for the 50th anniversary season, we've got two full-blown recasts with Herry Monster and Mumford. I wonder what purpose they will serve in street scenes, and whether they will stick around.

I've noticed that as Jerry and Caroll got older, they started dubbing voices more often because their characters were so closely associated with them, and there weren't enough understudies for all of their characters. Frank Oz hasn't done this because his characters have taken on a life of their own with Eric Jacobson and David Rudman; and Frank's schedule is tight enough as it is without SS. But I could see Marty Robinson doing this if they continue using Snuffy and Telly, since he's been their exclusive performer for 35 years.

And let's not forget that they even brought back Fred the Wonder Horse a few times, and Jerry dubbed his voice on those occasions. I think Frank played Grover in those scenes, too. :smile: