Sesame Street Season 49 Episode 4907 - New Year's Eve on Sesame Street

Phillip

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Episode 4907 - New Year's Eve on Sesame Street
HBO Premiere: Saturday December 29, 2018

It's New Year's Eve on Sesame Street. Rosita and Telly try to help Elmo stay awake until the new year so that he can celebrate with his friends.

This episode features an all-new street story, Cookie Monster's Foodie Truck ("Eggs") and Elmo's World ("Celebrations").

If you saw "New Year's Eve on Sesame Street" please like this post and share your thoughts below.

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Will be interested to hear people's reactions to this episode, especially when there's already a whole special devoted to this holiday. :wink:

Oscarfan

Reaction score
Nothing new but the street story (the H - Holiday film was originally used on the PBS airing of the recent Christmas special).

I guess it was okay - that new Elmo puppet is a little freaky. It's nice Telly had a larger role, though Marty's age and abilities are starting to show.

Really, the best thing was the intro with Prairie and Grover with Steph's amazing delivery of "Sigh."

MuppetSpot

Reaction score
I wonder when we’re going to get that understudy of Telly, I know Marty stated he already cast someone to take over Telly and Snuffy after he goes.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Okay, we didn't necessarily need to start the story with a musical number, just saying. It wasn't a bad song, just felt forced and contrived.

And the inconsistent set decorating bothered me: why is there a full orange fall tree out on the sidewalk, and others are full green summer trees? And why is there no snow on the ground in the middle of New York winter? Has Climate Change affected SS as well?

I'm betting Joe Fallon (or maybe Ken Scarborough) wrote this episode, given how reminiscent it is of the ARTHUR episode "Arthur's New Year's Eve," which was basically about Arthur trying to stay awake for new year. The only twist is Elmo was still able to celebrate, after a brief power nap, and that Telly and Rosita fell asleep from tiring themselves out trying to help Elmo stay awake.

Did we hear both Caroll and Matt as Big Bird? The singing at the beginning didn't sound at all like Matt, but it only barely sounded like Caroll.

And, did anyone else experience odd audio when everybody began gathering in the arbor for the countdown? Everybody suddenly sounded tinny and echoy.

that new Elmo puppet is a little freaky.
I actually liked it! I thought it looked more like the 1998-2003 puppet, only with moving eyelids.

It's nice Telly had a larger role, though Marty's age and abilities are starting to show.
I'm pretty sure I also mentioned this a while back as well.

antsamthompson9

Reaction score
The bookends with Prairie and Grover were funny. I loved Prairie saying "Sigh" and Ryan Dillon using the same voice as Kip from Dillongale for the pig at the end. I thought the song at the beginning of the street story was catchy. The plot with the Count and Alan trying to teach Cookie to count backwards was fun. Since D'Snowth is curious, Big Bird was Matt the whole time.

Schfifty

Reaction score
Drat, wish I could have seen this episode...the plot sounds interesting and I like how Telly and Rosita get a central part. And it's ironic that this premiered exactly 25 years after the other special.

I wonder when we’re going to get that understudy of Telly, I know Marty stated he already cast someone to take over Telly and Snuffy after he goes.
I wonder who would succeed him for Snuffy...Tyler maybe?

wiley207

Reaction score
And the inconsistent set decorating bothered me: why is there a full orange fall tree out on the sidewalk, and others are full green summer trees? And why is there no snow on the ground in the middle of New York winter? Has Climate Change affected SS as well?

I'm betting Joe Fallon (or maybe Ken Scarborough) wrote this episode, given how reminiscent it is of the ARTHUR episode "Arthur's New Year's Eve," which was basically about Arthur trying to stay awake for new year. The only twist is Elmo was still able to celebrate, after a brief power nap, and that Telly and Rosita fell asleep from tiring themselves out trying to help Elmo stay awake.
I agree about the set decorating, how it looked more like autumn than winter. I know NYC hasn't had a white Christmas since 2002, but this is ridiculous! At least it looked like some Christmas lights were still up, so that was a fairly realistic touch.
And yeah, I'm pretty sure Joe Fallon or Ken Scarborough wrote this episode, as it did remind me of "Arthur's New Year's Eve." Let's not forget D.W. was trying to stay awake as well, and SHE succeeded, with a little help of some ice cubes of course. But "Sesame Street" can't show something like that, can they? :zany:

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Let's not forget D.W. was trying to stay awake as well, and SHE succeeded, with a little help of some ice cubes of course. But "Sesame Street" can't show something like that, can they? :zany:
Well, if Telly and Rosita gave Elmo the ol' ALS Ice Bucket Challenge treatment, maybe. . . .