Are the Muppets as popular as they were 30 to 40 years ago?

Blue Frackle

Reaction score
Literally the two things keeping classic Disney characters and the Muppets alive (respectively): Kingdom Hearts and memes. Donald and Goofy are two of the three main characters in Kingdom Hearts, and it's one of the few current representations of the characters in their purest forms that I can think of, but I guess Disney doesn't get full credit for that as Square is making the game... how Winnie the Pooh ended up in the same game as a bunch of anime guys in robes who have a zillions forms of themselves is beyond me, but yeah; this game is about to sell millions of copies.

. . . . But, that's none of our business.
What do you mean by that? That's it's an objectification of the characters that has nothing to do with why we love them in the first place?

Duke Remington

Reaction score
As for Disney keeping its charactrrs alive, not really. Mickey and friends are relegated to pre-school shows and merch. Donald Duck got to be relevant again with the Duck Tales reboot, but other than that when was the last Mickey Mouse movie? Non-kiddy family TV show? But that merchandise train keeps on rolling. I think at best they have done some direct to video stuff. This is the path the Muppets may be on. Though I would take direct to dvd stuff over nothing.
Not really. You have forgotten about the Paul Rudish Mickey Mouse shorts, which are also still in production, extremely popular, have won lots of awards and are definitely not “kiddie”. The new shorts designs of the characters even seem to get used in Disney media more frequently than, say, their preschool show designs (they’ve even heavily featured the Rudish Mickey and Friends designs on stuff related to Mickey’s 90th birthday). Heck, Disney’s Hollywood Studios is getting a new major attraction based on those new Mickey shorts.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
What do you mean by that? That's it's an objectification of the characters that has nothing to do with why we love them in the first place?
That's actually one of the Kermit memes: Kermit sipping tea, and commenting on some hot-button issue that's going around, then ending his comment with, "but, that's none of my business."

DMHFan

Reaction score
Not really. You have forgotten about the Paul Rudish Mickey Mouse shorts, which are also still in production, extremely popular, have won lots of awards and are definitely not “kiddie”. The new shorts designs of the characters even seem to get used in Disney media more frequently than, say, their preschool show designs (they’ve even heavily featured the Rudish Mickey and Friends designs on stuff related to Mickey’s 90th birthday). Heck, Disney’s Hollywood Studios is getting a new major attraction based on those new Mickey shorts.
Hey Duke. Nice to see you. I agree with what you said.