Respectful Politics Thread (Let's Just See)

dwayne1115

Reaction score
Well that was a waste of time. Nothing new was said by either side, and it just clearly showed the country that this battle is far from over.
Trump said the illegal immigrants coming into the country are the enemy, and the the Democrats turn around and say Trump is the enemy. The learders of our nation both Republicans and Democrats are seriously acting like children.

MWoO

Reaction score
Im guessing Trump may use this speach to declare the border issue a state of emergency. Therefore bypassing Congress to get the wall done.
What I find funny/disturbing about the state of emergency thing is that it wasnt his idea. A reporter asked if he woukd di it and without thinking Trumo just blurted out that he could. He never says that he wont do something though. So he probably had no intention of doing it (because he probably didnt think if it) and now there are stories all over the news because he said he could do it after a reporter mentioned it, likely to get him to say he might do it. Its all so stupid. He is so immature uts insane.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I have to say, I'm shaking my head at seeing how the Democrats have actually sunk to Trump's level of petty immaturity - I mean, were they really that desperate? Trump's live speech was sure to be a joke, but this makes them look like a joke as well.

MuppetsRule

Reaction score
I've been seeing several videos pop up on my FB feed lately regarding the Democrats support of a wall and how it has changed. Can't seem to ratiuonalize their change in position and have yet to see any media question them about it.

MuppetsRule

Reaction score
And I will add that I don't post this because I am necessarily for building a wall. I say this to demonstrate how disgusted I am with the state of politics today. If one side says white, the other side says black. If one side says hot, the other side says cold. If one side says stop, the other says go. If one side says build a wall, the other side says don't. They don't give a rip about us or the country. They just care about maintaining their power and their party. Get rid all of them!!!

MWoO

Reaction score
And I will add that I don't post this because I am necessarily for building a wall. I say this to demonstrate how disgusted I am with the state of politics today. If one side says white, the other side says black. If one side says hot, the other side says cold. If one side says stop, the other says go. If one side says build a wall, the other side says don't. They don't give a rip about us or the country. They just care about maintaining their power and their party. Get rid all of them!!!
This is the issue with career politicians. Being a congress person should not be a career. It should be like jury duty. It should be a temporary duty that people perform.

The question is, do representatives have the duty to legislate based on personal convictions, or do they have a duty to change their opinions based on what is perceived as popular, and if they have a duty to change based on popular opinion, what is the point of a representative as opposed to a direct democracy?

D'Snowth

Reaction score
So, here's another one of my observations: it seems to me that everyday people who identify themselves as conservatives, or lean more to the right, are more likely to actually be a fan of politics in general, than everyday people who identify themselves as liberals, or lean to the left.

By this, I mean everyday people who lean conservative seem to enjoy watching Fox News, or listening to talk radio, or reading news magazines, or following political commentators on YouTube, almost as if they're just ordinary forms of entertainment . . . I hardly ever seen everyday people who lean liberal do the same regarding things like CNN or anything like that.

Now, I will say that, from observation, everyday people who lean liberal are definitely the ones who get involved with movements, protests, rallies, petitions, activism, and such far more than everyday conservatives . . . and if everyday conservatives do get involved in such, they're usually counter-movements/protests/rallies/petitions/activism in retaliation against the liberal movements (again, case in point: Blue Lives Matter in response to Black Lives Matter, or the HimToo Movement in response to the MeToo Movement).

MWoO

Reaction score
So, here's another one of my observations: it seems to me that everyday people who identify themselves as conservatives, or lean more to the right, are more likely to actually be a fan of politics in general, than everyday people who identify themselves as liberals, or lean to the left.

By this, I mean everyday people who lean conservative seem to enjoy watching Fox News, or listening to talk radio, or reading news magazines, or following political commentators on YouTube, almost as if they're just ordinary forms of entertainment . . . I hardly ever seen everyday people who lean liberal do the same regarding things like CNN or anything like that.

Now, I will say that, from observation, everyday people who lean liberal are definitely the ones who get involved with movements, protests, rallies, petitions, activism, and such far more than everyday conservatives . . . and if everyday conservatives do get involved in such, they're usually counter-movements/protests/rallies/petitions/activism in retaliation against the liberal movements (again, case in point: Blue Lives Matter in response to Black Lives Matter, or the HimToo Movement in response to the MeToo Movement).
Honestly, most liberals tend to get their news from hear say instead of primary sources. Places like Stephen Colbert, The Daily Show, John Oliver, Samantha Bee, Seth Myers, etc.

Most liberal people think with their heart where as most conservative people think with their head. Both are important, but thinking with your heart usually means you don't pay attention to facts and pay attention to how you feel about situations. That is why at most liberal protests and rallies you will see a lot of dancing, a lot of signs with messages that don't always match up with the overall theme of the protest (ie, black lives matter signs at a feminist rally), and a lot of loud chanting and shouting down of people that challenge their view points. Conservatives tend to be more open to debate and more informed.

The reality is you need a mix and open debate. It should be that conservatives keep liberals in check to make sure they aren't going overboard with expanding government and the liberals keep the conservatives in check by making sure they remember to consider the human element. Instead the two sides just don't talk to each other. I honestly think it is because of anti-american mentality. It use to be that both sides at least loved America and stood by the constitution. Now, many extreme liberals think the country is just terrible and because of its history and genuinely want to change what the country is at it's core. Now with Trump, conservatives think the country is terrible too.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Conservatives tend to be more open to debate and more informed.
While I'll agree conservatives tend more open to debate, I completely disagree they're more informed, as pointed out in previous posts, the only "facts" they'll accept are those that fit into their narratives and agendas, otherwise, they seem to like to dismiss facts altogether as "lies," "fake news," or "liberal propaganda." Not to mention many of them completely shooting down scientific studies and findings, simply because they don't believe in science.
The reality is you need a mix and open debate. It should be that conservatives keep liberals in check to make sure they aren't going overboard with expanding government and the liberals keep the conservatives in check by making sure they remember to consider the human element. Instead the two sides just don't talk to each other.
Up until Trump, the left would make effort and attempts to reach across the aisle and party lines and work with the right on things to improve the country, but even then, the right always acted like the left were from Mars and had cooties, and wanted nothing to do with them . . . hence why when Obama was President, but Republicans controled all branches of the government, there was so much he couldn't get done because they'd stop him wherever they could (then turn around and point fingers at him saying, "Look! He didn't keep his promise! He's the worst President ever!")
I honestly think it is because of anti-american mentality. It use to be that both sides at least loved America and stood by the constitution. Now, many extreme liberals think the country is just terrible and because of its history and genuinely want to change what the country is at it's core. Now with Trump, conservatives think the country is terrible too.
Liberals are often accused by conservatives of being "anti-American" (as well as "anti-Christian" and anti-everything else), but the fact of the matter is, both liberals and conservatives have very, very different views of what America needs to be as a country. Yeah, I'll agree that some liberals are going overboard in trying to erase certain aspects of history since so much of it was steeped in oppression, regression, and inequality, but what they want to "change" is how so much of that sense of oppression and inequality is being made fashionable again by conservatives, many of whom (most notably that DUCK DYNASTY guy) talk about how America was "happier" during a time when blacks were segregated and such. But I've yet to see conservatives that think America is terrible because of Trump - if anything, many of them actually believe Trump really has made America great again . . . but, again, you ask them to cite examples, and they're usually like, "Duh . . . he's just done so much, it's hard to think of just one specific example!"