Respectful Politics Thread (Let's Just See)

Old Thunder

Reaction score
While I'll agree conservatives tend more open to debate, I completely disagree they're more informed, as pointed out in previous posts, the only "facts" they'll accept are those that fit into their narratives and agendas, otherwise, they seem to like to dismiss facts altogether as "lies," "fake news," or "liberal propaganda."
But liberals do that exact same thing. Conservatives at least back their stuff up - whether or not their sources are true or not is the issue, but liberals don’t even do that. Conservatives brainwash you with false facts, liberals threaten you by tearing you apart limb from limb if you step out of line.

MWoO

Reaction score
While I'll agree conservatives tend more open to debate, I completely disagree they're more informed, as pointed out in previous posts, the only "facts" they'll accept are those that fit into their narratives and agendas
Literally the same could be said for liberal as well. If we are talking extreme left and extreme right, then you are correct. Both extremes take "facts" and twist them. But if we are talking most everyday people, then no. Most everyday people that identify as conservative are better informed. For example, take gun control. Most liberals don't really know what gun control laws are already in place. We hear "We need more gun control! You can buy a gun at Wal*Mart!". Yeah, you can, after following a lengthy procedure. You don't just walk in and pick one off the shelf like a roll of toilet paper. People want background checks, well great because we already have them! Federal law requires any licensed dealer to do them so as far as federal government is concerned, what more do people want? Individual states can impose restrictions on unlicensed dealers, and many have to bring them in line with the federal law. Then there is the call for a ban on semi-automatic guns. Well, what is a semi-automatic? It's most hand guns, not just "assault weapons". But most liberal thinking people just don't know this stuff.

I've yet to see conservatives that think America is terrible because of Trump - if anything, many of them actually believe Trump really has made America great again . . . but, again, you ask them to cite examples, and they're usually like, "Duh . . . he's just done so much, it's hard to think of just one specific example!"
Let me clarify what I meant. When Trump came along he started saying things like "the american dream is dead" and "Make america great again" implying that it is no longer great. SO, he spread the idea in his party that america sucks. So now you have sides saying it sucks. As far people citing examples of what Trump does, I have heard many times that Trump is going to over turn Roe v. Wade... when he never mentioned that (Pence yes, not Trump). I heard many times that Trump will erode LGBTQ rights.... when he never said anything like that and as far as I know has not attempted to do so either (again, this is Pence). Ask liberals what specifically Trump is doing to take away women's and LGBTQ rights and they can't answer, but there is constant really of "this ***** grabs back!". It goes both ways

Truth is Trump hasn't really done much of anything outside of wreck our reputation with other nations, impose tariffs on Chinese goods, and shut down the government because he wants a wall. What else has he really done? He's said a lot of crap, but what did he actually do?

Oh, he banned bump stocks believe, because every authoritarian is against the people having arms.

Whether you agree with most conservatives is one thing, but they do tend to be more informed than their counterparts on the other side. The ones that are really informed are the ones that don't commit to either party and actually look at everything with a critical eye.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Conservatives at least back their stuff up - whether or not their sources are true or not is the issue, but liberals don’t even do that.
Uhh . . . no. Liberals cite their sources as well, but those sources are often dismissed as "fake liberal news." Something that's gone on in these very political threads before. And again, liberals will also cite statistics when arguing their points - but when those statistics go against the conservative agenda, it's dismissed.
Conservatives brainwash you with false facts
That they do. It's one of the very few areas of which they excel.
liberals threaten you by tearing you apart limb from limb if you step out of line.
Uhh . . . no, they don't.

ANTIFA, maybe.[/QUOTE]

MWoO

Reaction score
Im not really sure what the point of this line of discussion is. By your own observation you claim that conservatives are more likely to watch the news, read magazines, watch political commentators, etc. You said liberals tend not to be as interested in politics, but will get involved in movements and protests. Now its as if you are arguing against your own observation.

MuppetsRule

Reaction score
Uhh . . . no. Liberals cite their sources as well, but those sources are often dismissed as "fake liberal news." Something that's gone on in these very political threads before. And again, liberals will also cite statistics when arguing their points - but when those statistics go against the conservative agenda, it's dismissed.
Ummmm, not in this thread they don't. Hardly ever is a source cited by the left leaning posters. And as far as dismissing the sources, it works both ways. I don't know how many times I have linked sources for information to have the discussion not about the topic itself but completely dismissed or the subject changed to the source itself.

MWoO

Reaction score
I know some of you will again mock the source but they do have a point

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/cn...for-accidently-proving-that-border-walls-work
Accosta's video neither proves nor disproves anything. For one, saying there is no issues with illegal immigration because the spot he was standing in didn't show any signs of an issue is the same logic climate change deniers use. "Climate change doesn't exist because it's cold outside today." Second, it reminds me of a Simpson's episode where Lisa holds up a rock and tells Homer that the rock keeps tigers away using Homer's logic about a Bear Patrol keeping bears away. The faulty logic is that since there are no tigers around, the rock must keep them away. Well, since there is a fence there, and there is no one trying to penetrate the fence at that moment, the fence must keep people away. No.... That's not how logic works.

This video is meaningless.

D'Snowth

Reaction score

LittleJerry92

Reaction score
See, here’s the thing.

This is why you can’t have too many high expectations for your party. They’re gonna have their ugly moments whether you want to accept it or not.