The "You know what?" thread

D'Snowth

Reaction score
My dad has officially reached the 3/4 of a century mark today.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
They're apparently getting ready to come out with a BEWITCHED line of Funko Pops.

I really wish they'd put them out as a line of Vinyl Idolz instead.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
You know Climate Change is an actual thing when you're seeing bugs flying around outside (including bees and mosquitoes) in the dead of winter, during a prolonged cold snap.

Pig'sSaysAdios

Reaction score
You know Climate Change is an actual thing when you're seeing bugs flying around outside (including bees and mosquitoes) in the dead of winter, during a prolonged cold snap.
*sigh* true. I dread to find out what sort of temperatures we'll be having this spring and summer, and what sorts of creatures will start showing up out of season. Are we going to be overrun by geckos and camels?!

That's an exaggeration, obviously, but still. :sympathy:

minor muppetz

Reaction score
I've often said that January is one of my favorite months (or, more accurately, an upper-tier month), simply because it's in the middle of my favorite season, and therefore, that automatically makes it a month I enjoy.

But, I've really been thinking about it, and to be honest, I really don't think I'm as fond of January as I think I am . . . come to think of it, in a sense, I can actually sort of understand why it's a lot of people's least favorite month - because when you really think about it, it really is a long, dull, and uneventful month . . . especially just coming off the blitzkrieg of the holiday season of the previous months, that's very condusive to the post-holiday blues, which really hit me hard last year, for some reason (though, thankfully, that doesn't seem to be the case this year).
On a similar note, New Years is among my least favorite holidays, I think that has a little to do with it.

As a kid, as soon as New Years has passed, we're closer to school starting again. Thinking about it, we are out of school for Christmas during a time when school is already closed for a few weeks, but it's more of a halfway point, and we do get presents for Christmas while for New Years we don't really get anything. As an adult who no longer goes to school, I see New Years as the end of the magic of the holiday season. Also, it's bothersome that so many people celebrate on New Years Eve but don't make the actual day special. I generally dislike when people refer to holidays as "just another day", and when New Years Day usually feels more like "just another day" than a holiday, then that's a real problem (and I am aware that there's some other holidays that barely feel like holidays, but they don't seem so major).

Not to mention I don't really remember knowing about New Years until the fourth grade (I had heard the phrase mentioned in a few Christmas songs but didn't think much about it, and barely knew the concept of a year), after I'd really known about all the other big holidays, and in fact I first remember knowing about the holiday when seeing Sesame Street Stays Up Late* - a few nights later, I was doing something for New Years Eve, and decided to act like Telly in that special (even though I was aware that it wasn't scary like he wrongfully thought). And this is one big holiday where, unlike the other major holidays, there's never really been a consistent tradition, doing different things on New Years eve over the years.

*Actually, a year earlier, I saw the special New Years Pete, and in art class we did something regarding New Years resolutions, but I still didn't really grasp New Years from those. It's probably the only holiday I learned about thanks to Sesame Street.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
In the years between Donkey Kong and Super Mario Bros., Mario often made random appearances in Nintendo games, such as appearing somewhere in various generic sports games or starring in the mini game (and cover) for Pinball or being the referee in Punch Out (which I can't remember off-hand if it was before or after SMB).

While Donkey Kong was a hit, it was the success of Super Mario Bros. that really made Mario Nintendo's mascot... and yet he was kinda being treated like a mascot before his big hit. Pauline made a few random appearances in games as well, though usually with Mario and significantly less than Mario. Were any other characters from Nintendo's games used as randomly (well, the dog from Duck Hunt did appear in another game that used the zapper, and Wart from Super Mario Bros. 2 did appear in a Zelda game)?

Kinda interesting Mario was being used so randomly at first (and some of Mario's appearances in games after Super Mario Bros. could be just as odd/random, like Wrecking Crew and the guy who looks like Mario in Golf). What if Super Mario Bros. wasn't the big hit that it was (was it a hit because the NES was a hit, or was the NES a hit because of the game? Would Nintendo have a way of knowing if consumers disliked the pack-in game and replaced it sooner?)? What if the first Legend to Zelda ended up being the big hit game for Nintendo before they had a really massive Mario hit?