Weekly Box Office and Film Discussion Thread

D'Snowth

Reaction score
So I've learned a new term for movies that originally had all or mostly male casts being remade with all or mostly female casts (i.e. OCEAN'S ELEVEN or GHOSTBUSTERS): "femakes."

Sgt Floyd

Reaction score
So apparently Brie Larson who's playing Captain Marvel says the movie is not for white dudes and is basically saying if you're a white male, don't see it.

Way to go telling the vast majority of your target audience to not see a movie.

They also apparently had to hire a butt double because she has no butt to speak of.

Pig'sSaysAdios

Reaction score
So apparently Brie Larson who's playing Captain Marvel says the movie is not for white dudes and is basically saying if you're a white male, don't see it.

Way to go telling the vast majority of your target audience to not see a movie
When?
“I don’t need a 40-year-old white dude to tell me what didn’t work about A Wrinkle in Time,” Larson said. “It wasn’t made for him! I want to know what it meant to women of colour, biracial women, to teen women of colour.”

It sounds to me more like she's drawing attention to the lack of diversity in film reviewing, and how deeply representation can resonate with people. People can occasionally have blind spots when it comes to stories about things outside of their own experiences. I feel like interpreting what she said as "white guys shouldn't see it" is a big jump.

Sgt Floyd

Reaction score
When?
“I don’t need a 40-year-old white dude to tell me what didn’t work about A Wrinkle in Time,” Larson said. “It wasn’t made for him! I want to know what it meant to women of colour, biracial women, to teen women of colour.”

It sounds to me more like she's drawing attention to the lack of diversity in film reviewing, and how deeply representation can resonate with people. People can occasionally have blind spots when it comes to stories about things outside of their own experiences. I feel like interpreting what she said as "white guys shouldn't see it" is a big jump.
tell that to people who are reporting about how she's been acting regarding captain marvel. that's not my interpretation

although from that quote alone, it sounds more like shes blaming white men on the movie doing poorly and not owning up to the fact the movie just isnt very good. Also, she's white herself...

MWoO

Reaction score
The movie isn't even out yet, how is it doing poorly?

Regardless of that, the quote she gave is pretty racist/sexist. Movie's are for everyone. Perhaps it is not the targeted audience, but that doesn't make it ok to belittle or invalidate someone's opinion of something. Also, note she said she didn't want to hear what didn't make it work. So, only negative opinions from 40 year old white men are unwelcome, but if they are positive then that's ok? It's a messed up thing to say either way.

Imagine this being the other way. Let's say a new movie about football comes out that is really "masculine", but it's not great. One of the male stars says "I don't want to hear what some 40 year old woman has to say about what doesn't work in this movie. It wasn't made for you!" or "I don't want to hear what some 40 year old homosexual has to say about what doesn't work in this movie. It wasn't made for you!". See the problem? If you swap the race, gender, or sexuality in a statement and it automatically becomes problematic, then the statement was problematic to begin with.

MWoO

Reaction score
Right, but a movie doing poorly or not can not be determined until release, no? We can say it has the potential to do poorly or the potential to do well, but it's too soon to it is performing poorly.

Frankly, the movie looks like every other Marvel movie. The de-aging of Samuel L. Jackson looks pretty good. It seems silly for anyone to make this movie a symbol of feminism. It's about a woman that gets super powers from an alien... I don't really see how this is some big moment for women and empowerment. It's literal fantasy. Do other men some how claim Superman is a symbol of masculinity?

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Right, but a movie doing poorly or not can not be determined until release, no?
The same could be applied the other way around, which was kind of my point: how can the success of a movie be determined until it's released? So, like a movie that hasn't been released already doing so poorly, how is it possible for a movie to have a huge following and so much success when it hadn't been released yet?