When you outgrew Sesame Street...

• Thread starter Philo and Gunge
  • Start date

muppet baby

Reaction score
I think part of the reason I never "outgrew" Sesame Street is that I always considered the characters my friends. I may not have needed the curriculum after a while, but you never outgrow your friends.

oh my andy wan kenobi that is so true for me also . i know i what you mean about the curriculum that is so true for me . yes i consder the characters my friends to i loved watching Big bird and elmo the most when i was little my faverite was big bird gooes to china i want to find that dvd .

i am glad that i got back to watching SS again i am so mad that i stoped for seveal years due to time and school but better late than never to get back with great friends right ?

ISNorden

Reaction score
oh my andy wan kenobi that is so true for me also . i know i what you mean about the curriculum that is so true for me . yes i consder the characters my friends to i loved watching Big bird and elmo the most when i was little my faverite was big bird gooes to china i want to find that dvd .
I've got a computer-watchable version of "Big Bird Goes to China", if you wouldn't mind trading episodes with me. Just let me know which program you ordinarily use to watch video clips, so I can upload the file in the right format...

UFOfirefly

Reaction score
I stopped watching Sesame Street 2 weeks after entering 5th grade due to tons of homework all of a sudden! I always checked back in though when I was channel surfing. For a little over a year though, I have been watching a lot of Sesame Street. I'm so glad I started to watch it again because I really missed my Sesame Street friends! They're such good friends!

Ilikemuppets

Reaction score
I think part of the reason I never "outgrew" Sesame Street is that I always considered the characters my friends. I may not have needed the curriculum after a while, but you never outgrow your friends.
Yeah! I feel much the same way. You really get a sense of feeling like you know these people real well, and that they are just like really old, long time friends. You can just come right back and there just as welcoming. :smile:

muppet baby

Reaction score
Yep that is right you are never to old for sesme street . anything muppets for that matter LOL .

They are so great and you don't have to worry about anythng that is said in there shows perfect for every one .

i know what you mean william about how the muppets make you feel welcome like old friends i felt i know them that well to .

The perfect muppet friends . All the muppets are the perfect TV friends

AndyWan Kenobi

Reaction score
I just watched an episode yesterday that Tivo got for me, and I had the "old friends" feeling all over again. It's different than so many other shows I watched as a kid, because it's still going on. If it were a show that had lasted for 15 years or so, and it were all reruns today, that feeling might be different. But because it's still new, it's like I'm coming home to see the friends I grew up with.

"Hey, what's Big Bird up to these days? How are Gordon and Susan?"

Well, let's turn on the TV and find out!

:smile:

muppet baby

Reaction score
I just watched an episode yesterday that Tivo got for me, and I had the "old friends" feeling all over again. It's different than so many other shows I watched as a kid, because it's still going on. If it were a show that had lasted for 15 years or so, and it were all reruns today, that feeling might be different. But because it's still new, it's like I'm coming home to see the friends I grew up with.

yes that is so true still going on and you get to come back and feel good again , i feel the same way even though i had to stay away for a long time but am back thanks to tivo also he he .

I am loving Gordan and susan all over again love them so much all over again .

JLG

Reaction score

I wish I felt that way. Until recently I did. But like I said in another thread somewhere, in the last four or five years the show has changed so rapidly that there's very little of that feeling of "coming back to old friends" or "going home" left for me. It's a very strange feeling---Sesame Street has always been a rock in my life. Something that was always there and never really changed much. Most of the changes that I'm referring to are not the inevitable factors such as aging stars or changing Muppeteers, but intentional things like an overhauled structure, a shift in emphasis, a completely different tone, a more contemporary graphic look, and in general a totally new "voice".
Were these changes not present, or at least less dramatic, it would easier to get used to new Muppet performers taking over the characters, or the cast members getting older. But whenever I catch the show now, it really feel doesn't familiar at all. It leaves me feeling rather hollow inside, like a good friend has moved away.

I just want to make clear that I don't think it's a BAD show by any stretch. I just wish it was still my "rock".

JLG

Reaction score
To be on topic:

I never really stopped watching the show outright. I watched it all the time from ages three to seven, and then kept tabs on it out of casual fondness all through elementary and middle school. So I never had a period where I "outgrew it" for a while and then came back.
But i didn't become seriously interested in it until the middle of high school.

I'd known from age six (from an article ostensibly written by Kermit the Frog in Ranger Rick magazine) that it had started in 1969, (this was 1989) so from that age forward I was always curious to see what it was like at the beginning. I never thought I'd be able to, though, until at 16 I found out about the Television and Radio museum. It was seeing those battered old 1973 and '78 eps they've got squirreled away in there that turned on a light in my head, and made me realize just how cool this show was. (this was 1999; the modern show hadn't become as radically new an animal as it has now, although I immediately picked up that the older stuff was more multilayered and a little edgier) A few years later I found out about tape trades, which meant for the first time ever I could see a good bulk of old material at once. Old Sesame Street, therefore, is no longer something mysterious.