The most tear-jerking Muppet moment...

RedPiggy

Reaction score
Jesus ... did we all lose someone in the early 90's? I lost my great-grandmother the same year Jim Henson died, my parents got divorced that year ...

Yva Minstrel

Reaction score
Jesus ... did we all lose someone in the early 90's? I lost my great-grandmother the same year Jim Henson died, my parents got divorced that year ...
It most certainly seems that way, doesn't it?

I was in my first years of college when Jim died, and it was so sad. I remember when 'The Muppet Christmas Carol' came out and I thought 'that is a legacy that will continue'. It was a very bittersweet moment, but also very special to me as a long time fan of the work behind the Muppets.

I know this is a tiny bit of a digression off topic, but I cannot imagine my life without the Muppets. They remind me of the good things in life; the happy times, and the chances to recognize the irony in the simplest of things. To lose that would have been a tragedy in and of itself.

It was for that reason, that songs like 'Bless us All' have come to mean so very much to me, because in essence, the Muppets have given us a continued legacy of that vision and I am totally grateful that we are getting the DVDs of the different projects as well as new projects and story ideas. In that way, we have indeed been blessed.

I guess it's true, we really 'cannot leave the magic'. :excited:

King of Eight

Reaction score
My four-year-old wanted to watch a movie after school today, and she pulled 'The Muppet's Christmas Carol' off the shelf. 'Bless Us All' hit me so hard when I watched it this time. I agree with the above post that the Muppet's legacy will always have an impact on my life and even at 26, I still 'cannot leave the magic.'

Colbynfriends

Reaction score
I saw something on the Nostalgia Critics videos (it was the top 11 saddest nostalgiac moments) guess what #11 and #10 were. #11 was Saying Goodbye from TMTM, and The Blue Bird Song from FTB.

The Only Joey

Reaction score
The most tear braking moment i know was gonzo doing the song "Wishing Song".

It really got to me when i saw it the first time since it related to a situation i was in myself.
But even now i can not keep it dry hearing that song.

Thanks gonzo :concern:

Ignorance

Reaction score
I guess I've just realized it, but I simply love when Gonzo sings I'm Going to go Back There Someday. Can barely here without crying and I'm usually a toughie. D=
This looks familiar, vaguely familiar,
Almost unreal, yet, it's too soon to feel yet.
Close to my soul, and yet so far away.
I'm going to go back there someday.
Sun rises, night falls, sometimes the sky calls.
Is that a song there, and do I belong there?
I've never been there, but I know the way.
Come and go with me, it's more fun to share,
We'll both be completely at home in midair.
We're flyin', not walkin', on featherless wings.
We can hold onto love like invisible strings.
There's not a word yet for old friends who've just met.
Part heaven, part space, or have I found my place?
You can just visit, but I plan to stay.

It reminds me of a place I simply love but can't be for 11 months of the year.
And the "I've never been there but I know the way" reminds me of the boarding school it's my dream to go there. <3

I've always considered it a song for people whose dreams just revolve around one special thing, fitting in with the whole Rainbow Connection theme.

Libba Yuki

Reaction score
I've got a few:

The Muppets Celebrate Jim Henson/Jim Henson's Funeral-Both have such an impact, and are very emotional to watch. I was a little kid when he died and didn't hear about his death until years later when I was older. I remember thinking that it was sad, but now that I'm a young adult and have seen them for myself...it's so much more emotional now. He was a great man, whose magic will live on forever.

Kermit getting hit by a car in MtM-This scene really freaked me out when I was a kid, the idea of Kermit possibly dying was a very scary thought! Even now, the scene still gets to me. It's just so strong! Seeing him lying on the street hurt, and then the way the movie plays out afterwards with his friends finding him only to discover that he has no memories of his life whatsoever. Their pleas with him to remember them and his life, Piggy's emotional speech...! Everyone's love for him is very strong here!

The gang deciding to split up in MtM-Again, everyone's love and respect for Kermit (as well as for each other) comes through very strong here. The fact that they decide to split up because they feel like they're a burden to him, and think it would be easier for him, shows it. "Saying Goodbye" is sad to listen to too.

"I'm going back there someday"/Kermit's talk with himself in the desert in TMM- I LOVE that song Gonzo sings, and I think it hits home more now than it did originally because of "Muppets From Space" (One of my favorite movies, and one that is very special to me as well). The scene following that with Kermit talking with himself about his feeling of failure is emotional too, his leadership over his friends (his desire to do everything he can for them) and his somewhat protectiveness over them is very sweet.

Muppets From Space- This one is full of emotional scenes to me. Gonzo's dream being a big one, his irritation when Kermit and the others don't believe him about his alien roots, waiting for his alien family on the beach, Gonzo's implied death (kinda) and Rizzo's reaction to it (He was so freaked out, that he fainted! How sweet was that, you can tell the little guy loves his best friend!), Gonzo saying goodbye to everyone and the sad looks on their faces as he begins to leave...:cry:

It's a Very Merry Muppet Christmas Movie-This one, too, is full of emotional scenes to me. Kermit's overwhelming depression in the very beginning of the movie (a depressed Kermit makes me depressed!), Kermit yelling at Piggy to leave him alone, Fozzie's misery when he failed to get the money to Bitterman in time (it tears me up when he sees Kermit approaching him, and he can't bring himself to even look at his best friend because he's so ashamed), Kermit feeling miserable because he feels he let everyone down, Kermit screaming that he wished he'd never been born (Steve did a fantastic job here, the saddness and anger cracking his voice was superbly done), Kermit seeing how Fozzie/Gonzo/Piggy turned out without him (seeing how those three turned out really got to him, you can clearly see how much he really loves Piggy at this part), Gonzo singing "Everyone Matters" (I personally thought how Gonzo turned out, a defeated and lonely homeless man, was the most depressing of the three...he was the worst off too). I love the little gasp from Kermit at this scene, when the true severity of Gonzo's situation is made clear (since he didn't seem so bad off the first time we saw him...), Kermit's misery when he thinks he can't go back home.

Fraggle Rock, when Red and her friend are trapped in a cave- I haven't seen this show since I was about 4-6 years old, but I did love it dearly (enough where I'm determined to get it on dvd as soon as I have saved up for the series set). The other day, I stumbled across a very emotional scene from this show; where Red and another Fraggle (whose name I don't remember at the moment) are trapped in a cave. She comments on feeling really giddy, and I think he made note that he was getting tired and saying to her "you know what that means...right?" "...we're running out of air..." To see these two in a deadly situation, and to see them talk about the fact that they're about to die...was very powerful to me!

There are others, clips from Sesame Street and the Muppet Show, but I think I've listed enough for this thread.

Baby Gonzo

Reaction score
Fraggle Rock, when Red and her friend are trapped in a cave- I haven't seen this show since I was about 4-6 years old, but I did love it dearly (enough where I'm determined to get it on dvd as soon as I have saved up for the series set). The other day, I stumbled across a very emotional scene from this show; where Red and another Fraggle (whose name I don't remember at the moment) are trapped in a cave. She comments on feeling really giddy, and I think he made note that he was getting tired and saying to her "you know what that means...right?" "...we're running out of air..." To see these two in a deadly situation, and to see them talk about the fact that they're about to die...was very powerful to me!
That was Boober Fraggle that she was trapped with. And I agree, that was a very powerful episode.

Great list, by the way.