How to start making puppets?

GabeFirestone

Reaction score
hmmm... also on the contact cement topic:

i have no respirator or anything like that, and don't polan on getting one anytime soon (aren't they expenisve?) anyways, i was wondering what i could do... right now, i'm using hot-glue for everything but inserting mouthplates... for that i use super glue (which works AMAZINGLY!)

any suggestions would be much appreciated!

SesameKermie

Reaction score
Jiffy,

For an idea on a basic puppet, try PaulyPuppet's tutorial on ExpertVillage
http://hobbies.expertvillage.com/videos/building-a-moving-mouth-puppet.htm That will give you a blank character. If I'm not mistaken, you were referring to "anything" muppets. They work kind of like a Mr. Potatohead set---you make lots of miscellaneous body parts, eyes, ears, noses, hair, glasses, etc. Then attach the hook side of some velcro and position them on the puppet. Voila! Instant character.

I'm not too clear on marionette making, but I'm sure there are plenty of tutorials out there.

Gabe,

When I worked with contact cement, I just set up a worktable out in my yard. Respirators can be expensive, but as long as you have adequate ventilation, and limit your exposure, you should be OK.

Hope I helped,

Jason

Buck-Beaver

Reaction score
Sorry Jason, but absolutely you're absolutely not OK without a respirator. I agree it's very important to use a well-ventilated area, but even opening up a can of contact cement or applying to foam you're inhaling vapours.

I can't stress this enough - you need to be using respirators if you're using contact cement. Gloves too. I know lots of people choose not to do that, but even many of the manufacturers of these products will tell you how important it is.

SesameKermie

Reaction score
Fair enough. I defer to your wisdom, Buck. I haven't been making puppets as long as you have.

Thanks for setting me straight.

Jason

wes

Reaction score
yeah before i knew it was bad, I used contact cement with out a respirator and it made me sick. I was floating on a cloud wondering why everything was so funny and weak afterwards, my family told me i need a respirator and thet got me a fan to put in the window.

Buck-Beaver

Reaction score
Sorry if my last post sounded harsh, it's just really important to follow safety guidelines and err on the side of more safety, not less. I'm always blown away by the fact that a lot of well-known builders in puppet making videos tell people to use contact cement but don't use proper safety equipment. It's very irresponsible.

If anyone is going to do a lot of puppet building and work with potentially harmful chemicals it's a very good idea to take a WHMIS (Workplace Hazardous Materials Information System) safety course. I think WHMIS is a Canadian thing but there must be equivalent courses in the U.S. and other countries.

GabeFirestone

Reaction score
thanks, but i already know that i can't use contact cement without a respirator. my question still remains: what else is there? :rolleyes:

CBPuppets

Reaction score
You know this may be very useful for me, BTW how do you attach the Rods to a Puppet's Arm?

Buck-Beaver

Reaction score
My method for making (removable) arms is explained here. If you search the forum you'll find lots of old threads with other methods as well.

Pork

Reaction score
My puppets mouth is quite difficult to move...I've already finished it's head so I suppose there's not much I can do about it now is there?