How to start making puppets?

drmolarmagic

Reaction score
how puppets are made

You NEED to get the "Foam Book" by Drew Allison & Donald Devet. You can find it mentioned in other threads around here. It is a great basic guide about the real "how to" of making basic puppets with foam. There are also some great basic books to make other type of puppets from simple materials. I love the book "Puppet Mania" by John Kennedy. Just hit Amazon.com and look at all the options.
:big_grin:

CrazyHarryFan

Reaction score
Thanks very much! I will get to work on both those books. Im trying to learn as MUCH as humanly possible before I spend any money on making one.

I am pretty sure that the minute I spend money and make my own, I will learn something new I wish I'd know earlier.... haha So it goes.

That is why I very much want to do my homework and learn all I can before I take that first step to making my own custom "Muppetesque" puppet!

This really is so exciting! Thanks again!

--Chuck

You NEED to get the "Foam Book" by Drew Allison & Donald Devet. You can find it mentioned in other threads around here. It is a great basic guide about the real "how to" of making basic puppets with foam. There are also some great basic books to make other type of puppets from simple materials. I love the book "Puppet Mania" by John Kennedy. Just hit Amazon.com and look at all the options.
:big_grin:

CrazyHarryFan

Reaction score

CBPuppets

Reaction score
I may not be a wiseman or whatnot but my advice for building puppets is to be creative.

Bob1995

Reaction score
There's a great Puppet tuitorial on www.indymogul.com where you can make a pretty decent puppet for 25 bucks or more. If followed correctly, making an amateur puppet look good is fairly easy.

Meepsterboy

Reaction score
Hello. I'm a total puppetry noob, but I'd like to ask- Where on difficulty would you rank attempting a character like Pepe? Is it out of reach of someone with no experience, but a lot of determination? I do a mean Pepe voice, so I'd love to build a replica, and if anyone has any tips, I would be very, very happy, okay.

Bob1995

Reaction score
For people who don't use antron, use the ladder stitch to close a seam. It works well on most fabrics, but it can be difficult to do due to the many folds of fabric in your way, but otherwise it is an effective technique.