Follow That Bird Discussion Thread

FutureMuppeteer

Reaction score
anyone else???

any questions at all. when I conduct this video...he is bringing in the script of the movie...WOOT!

the interview will be done next week sometime, so bring on those questions. I will pick 10 questions and post them on here. (that is if the Admins let me...could this possibly get a sticky for a little while?...I will post another topic just for this.)

MuppetDude

Reaction score
minor muppetz said:
*How were Miss Finch and the Dodo's performed?
I think I know the answer.

Miss Finch was performed just like BB; with one arm in the head and neck, and the other one in her left wing.

It looked like the performers of the Dodos had a mechanism in one of their hands, allowing them to work the beaks. (The same mechanism is used for "Sesame Street Live'.) The eyes appeared to be remote-controlled (or at least Mommy Dodo's were; they were able to rotate).

AAO

Reaction score
Being a big fan of this movie, and thus it being my all time favorite muppet film overall, the questions i have are...

What was it like to work with Carroll Spinney - or did he work with Spinney?

Does he know the placement of the Blue Bird of Happiness puppet as well as Miss Finch and the Dodo's.

Was Jim Henson really involved with this project as much as he was with some of his other Muppet projects?

What was it like to film the "chase" scene? Any problems, technical problems, or etc.

Were there any story problems or subplots that didn't make it to the film?

What did they do with the Sesame Street set they used in the film?

How long was the film in production?

What was filming like for Big Bird running from Ernie and Bert flying the plane?

Is there any behind the scenes footage or deleted scenes that he knows of that could possibly turn up years from now?

What happened to the character's cars, especially the Count's? - That car is awesome! I love cars and I love the muppets...thus the reason I love this movie so much...

What was the original draft for the film like?

Any original pitches or ideas for the movie that really seemed impossible?

Could this have tied in with the series, "Sesame Street"?

OKay, well there's a few of my questions...But the biggest question i want to know is, "Did he have fun?"

This movie is very satisfying for everyone. It's got comedy, excitement, and so much more! I loved it! Hope to read the interview soon!

muppetfan89

Reaction score
I just finished watching it, and I haven't seen this movie in about 12 years, since I was 5 years old. I like as much as I did then. It's just a really good film for both kids and adults, which is important, IMO, for a successful kid's movie. After watching it, I also realized that kid's movies these days aren't what they used to be. You look at films like this or Pee Wee's Big Adventure and more. Those are just good films. I got nothing against today's CGI kid films, but they just don't beat kid films from the 80's and early 90's.

BEAR

Reaction score
I just finished watching it, and I haven't seen this movie in about 12 years, since I was 5 years old. I like as much as I did then. It's just a really good film for both kids and adults, which is important, IMO, for a successful kid's movie. After watching it, I also realized that kid's movies these days aren't what they used to be. You look at films like this or Pee Wee's Big Adventure and more. Those are just good films. I got nothing against today's CGI kid films, but they just don't beat kid films from the 80's and early 90's.

I agree, but there are still a few good recent ones out there. Pixar would be the perfect example.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
I think nowadays companies are afraid to be a little corny and sentimental in kids' programs, often at the expense of the message. And they're also convinced kids are easily "confused." There are still some good kids' movies, but they are fewer and far between. And we will end up regretting it down the line.

muppetfan89

Reaction score
I agree, but there are still a few good recent ones out there. Pixar would be the perfect example.
Pixar is great, I love pixar. I can't wait to see the upcoming Wall-E. I just meant that CGI has become oversaturated. I just think that kids don't need animation to enjoy a movie. If they could understand situations in animation, I'm sure they won't have a problem watching live action movies.

muppetfan89

Reaction score
If anyone has a copy of this movie and go to the big chase scene...There's a funny lil' blooper I stumbled on while watching the DVD on the computer. I noticed it better because the picture was clearer. If you watch as Big Bird is being taken away and Gordon and Olivia are getting into the VW watch just as the camera backs up a lil and look in the right window - it's sort of tinted. You'll see a boy in a red shirt sitting watching Big Bird drive off...I was like, "Holy crap! Where'd he come from?" U can also see someone else in the distance if you pause it in teh right places...Keep looking for lil' things like that in the film...!
I think I saw a person watching Big Bird being taken away, as Telly is trying to wake Oscar up. If you look to right you can see a person. I didn't see the boy in the red shirt though, I tried looking for him, but no luck.