Do you ever feel ashamed for liking Sesame Street?

Katzi428

Reaction score
Katzi, no they briefly mentioned this on the special 20 Years and Counting that's now on DVD. They expanded the curriculum as the years went on. I guess they just wanted to stay basic and as the years went on, figured ok, the kids handled 1-20, lets' try 40. And you're right, #1 always got shafted in the "brought to you today..." portion of the show.
Hmmm..I have the DVDs. Probably forgot that. If SS keeps on going,they'll probably bring in 50.We'll see what happens. If PBS has their way though I don't see 100 coming into the picture.:frown:

Drtooth

Reaction score
Something bugs me though. Back when I watched SS as a kid,they only taught kids to count to 20 the highest (but only one of the numbers 2-10 would ever be the sponsors at the end of the show.) Now they're teaching them to count to 40? Did they think my generation was stupid?
Not really, but when you're generation was watching, they were basically using the show to experiment as far as they could go... I have no idea why it took them so long to do 40, or the fact that 40 and 21 were the only odd numbers out in the show's sponsored by history... but it seems like they're trying to do too much currently, and certain things take a back seat as a result. They started multiplication and even division in recent years, something they didn't even do in the 80's... basic stuff like counting by 2's or 10's... but that's how you start to teach multiples.

MelissaY1

Reaction score
*GASP* Such language at the end Melissa!:wink:
But seriously, you're right.I like oldies (50s & 60s ) music.And I have every season of "The Odd Couple" on DVD.People shouldn't care what we think.
Now back to our regular thread.
Getting back to the thread, Sesame Street and the Muppets in general were uncool to me for about 5 minutes (it certainly didn't last long) when I was about 13, right before my family moved from our first house to the one that my parents are in now. I tossed a lot of my Sesame stuffed dolls at the time which I can kick myself (especially my original Fisher Price made Super Grover doll with cloth cape). But definitely not ashamed as the more live events I go to in relation to Sesame Street, the more adults show up so I know I'm not the only one.

Gonzo's Hobbit

Reaction score
I remember when I was a kid I loved Seseame Street (still do) and when I was in I want to say second grade I suddenly found out from friends that I was too old to watch it. It was like my world was shattered, no one told be I could out grow it. So I got teased for it for a bit (and didn't really broadcast it too much). I remmber I had a stuffed Big Bird that I carried everywhere, I wish I hadn't given him away. Then it really didn't matter because by fifth grade no one cared about that anymore (they were too busy making fun of me for other things.) It's kinda funny because now the only one I get grief from is my 18 year old sister (for whatever reason that is)

MuppetsFan4Life

Reaction score
I don't really feel ashamed, but there are sometimes when I want to hide the fact that I do watch Sesame Street. Mind you, this is NOT the only show for kids that I watch, so I get made fun of a alot!

I think Sesame Street has that....oh, what's the word?....that adult-like charm in them that makes even adults like the show. It also brings them back to when they were kids and exposes their inner child.

Gonzo's Hobbit

Reaction score
I think Sesame Street has that....oh, what's the word?....that adult-like charm in them that makes even adults like the show. It also brings them back to when they were kids and exposes their inner child.
I totally agree with you. I feel very much that way about Sesame Street (though more the old version than the new version) and Fraggle Rock

CoolGuy1013

Reaction score
Same. Whenever I buy Sesame Merchandise I claim it’s a gift.

LittleJerry92

Reaction score
Forget watching the show, I'm always more embarrassed when I'm buying Sesame Street toys for my collection at secondhand stores. Every time I do I get a weird look from the cashier or people waiting in line
Same. Whenever I buy Sesame Merchandise I claim it’s a gift.
Coming from my own experience, I’ve bought Sesame merchandise along with other kids merch like Thomas, Richard Scarey, etc. I’ve never gotten weird looks. I’m sure they’re probably thinking a lot in their mind, but no weird looks.