The "White Dot" Skits

bigbird

Reaction score
These skits had a few variations to them but were all basically the same. There was no dialogue or humans or muppets. Just a bunch of neatly lined up white dots with a sound of music each time a dot appeared on the screen. One variation had all the dots lined up all in one "take" without a goof up . Another one had the last dot turn a different color when the segment was finished causing the first dot to go to him and do an Archie Bunker sound with the tongue. Another one featured the final dot not seen and the musical sound to it getting louder and bolder because it would not show up. Finally it came out from the right of the screen and fell into place.

jeffkjoe

Reaction score
bigbird said:
These skits had a few variations to them but were all basically the same. There was no dialogue or humans or muppets. Just a bunch of neatly lined up white dots with a sound of music each time a dot appeared on the screen. One variation had all the dots lined up all in one "take" without a goof up . Another one had the last dot turn a different color when the segment was finished causing the first dot to go to him and do an Archie Bunker sound with the tongue. Another one featured the final dot not seen and the musical sound to it getting louder and bolder because it would not show up. Finally it came out from the right of the screen and fell into place.

Funny how you'll find 3 or 4 of these dot skits on the very first episode back from 1969.....I had no idea they were that old.

Xerus

Reaction score
I remember some rare funky dot episodes they don't show anymore.

When the dots were doing their normal appearing, one of the dots in the middle started coughing for it looked like he was sick so he left. Then the dots continued and it turned out there was a space in the end for they were short one dot. And you can hear that coughing in the background.

And in another skit, the same coughing dot appeared again. The other dots sent him away and replaced him with a cute little dot. But when the dots continued their appearing, the little dot makes a cute, "DUM, DUM", song while jumping up and down which seemed to annoy the other dots.

Also when the dots were doing their normal appearing, some squares started to slowly appear at the bottom chasing the dots away. And the screen was filled with a row of squares.

And finally, they did the dots and squares thing again. When they met each other, one dot and one square started arguing in little squeaky talk. Then they worked out an arrangement. They did the dot and square appearings again, but the squares turned themselves purple so the white dots can place themselves inside them. Once they've finished. The dots and squares changed colors for a while, then they all started to spin around like a flashing ferris wheel of white and purple dots and squares. Definitely the best one.

mikebennidict

Reaction score
If I rememebr the circle was taking in a squeaky voice but the square sounded somewhat different

SesameStoner

Reaction score
these segments would make me scream bloody murder according to my mom when i was 2....i dont know why she said that i told her i heard other stuff in the music lol...true story

jeffkjoe

Reaction score
You can find a square version of this sketch (squares instead of dots) on the 1972 episode "Rainy Day"

Katzi428

Reaction score
When the dots were doing their normal appearing, one of the dots in the middle started coughing for it looked like he was sick so he left. Then the dots continued and it turned out there was a space in the end for they were short one dot. And you can hear that coughing in the background.

And in another skit, the same coughing dot appeared again. The other dots sent him away and replaced him with a cute little dot. But when the dots continued their appearing, the little dot makes a cute, "DUM, DUM", song while jumping up and down which seemed to annoy the other dots.
Ah HA! I knew I wasn't imagining that little dot ! Thanks Xerus!:smile:

ISNorden

Reaction score
Funny how you'll find 3 or 4 of these dot skits on the very first episode back from 1969.....I had no idea they were that old.
I didn't know they were so old either, until I saw a copy of Episode 1 for myself. Here's the order of the original "30 Dots" clips:

1 and 2. The dots appear normally, with the usual music and no strange behavior.

3. The last dot fails to appear, even when the final chord plays loudly a few times. Then the dot drifts in, moving through the pattern like a late arrival to a meeting. As it takes the last place, a quiet note sounds.

4. The last dot appears in its place (final chord and all) halfway through the pattern. It then moves away as if it knew about the mistake, returning only when the other dots have appeared.

5. Halfway through the pattern, the third dot turns red--and keeps turning red whenever the other dots try to back up and correct it. The others finally force the third dot to stay yellow by appearing in rapid-fire succession; the music sounds angry and insistent this time.

6. When the third dot turns red this time, the rest decide to turn red along with it: the whole pattern backs up, reappearing in red as each note sounds slowly and deliberately.

7. After two dots appear and vanish cautiously, the rapid-fire pattern and music from #5 are repeated. When the final chord sounds, though, the third dot turns red again--inspiring the last dot to drift over and give the nonconformist a "Bronx cheer". (The red dot stays red this time, of course!)

ISNorden

Reaction score
30 Dots and a Napkin

So far I haven't heard this variant mentioned, but Episode 355 also has a clip with a crumpled napkin breaking the pattern (until one of the dots pushes the napkin away).