Where The Wild Things Are Movie

TheJimHensonHour

Reaction score
Wow Cringy? the heck no way that looks amazing so far!
So is Henson still the ones working on this or is it some one else now?
And yeah the book is creepy the movie should be as well...lordy people annoy me when they dont realize things.

lowercasegods

Reaction score
What bugs me is that The Creature Shop is capable of the best possible full body animatronic puppets in the entertainment industry...and yet Jonez, who I normally admire very much, has opted for the Henson gang to only build the BODIES of the monsters and having the heads done in CGI. I think this is a slap in the face to The Creature Shop. They're not costumers, they're PUPPET BUILDERS, which includes and should probably be held in the greatest importance, THE HEADS! So that's my angry rant.

TheJimHensonHour

Reaction score
I agree lowercase, but in my opinion Henson doesn't take themselves as seriously as they should anymore.

Psammeadboi

Reaction score
If this clip is any indication of what the final film will look like then this is amazing. It's been hard to approach films without going the way of the CG characters, but this clip shows the power a puppet/animatronic character can have. I don't really mind the CG faces, as this clip demonstrates the seemless blending of both technologies. It looks great and if it's creepy and adult and with something for kids and adults to enjoy, thats great. I appreciate films much more when kids aren't being talked down to. Plus, who doesn't love Where the Wild Things Are, lol. This should be a fun adventure!

lowercasegods

Reaction score
I agree lowercase, but in my opinion Henson doesn't take themselves as seriously as they should anymore.
Much as I'd love to disagree here, there's just no way I could. The Henson legacy is a broken antique lying in pieces on the floor and lamenting its former golden glory.

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
The new Rotten Tomatoes article reports the release date has been pushed back a year! It will now be released October 2009.

I read a spoiler blog work-up on the test screening and it appears that WB not only doesn't understand Spike Jonze, they don't understand the spirit of the book. The story had to be fleshed out from something so simple, but (from what has been reported) Jonze delivered.

Furthermore, Warner Brothers just scooped up New Line. Due to costly legal battles over LOTR with Jackson and now the Tolken heirs (who supposedly have still yet to see any money) along with the underperforming Mimsy and Compass films, the company has been forced into WB absorbtion. I hope it will be more like when Miramax was purchased by Disney, but the tampering with Wild Things doesn't bode well for the future.

uppitymuppity

Reaction score
Hollywood Minute...

The word is that the author loves it and the studio wants to ruin it with CGI and make it more likeable... I'm just learning about this project and seeing the leak. It looks wonderful as is. So, today my friend called who works for the studio and says hey you are a Henson freak and I say yes - he says come with me tomorrow to hang out with Spike Jonze and we'll talk to him about this film. Initially I declined. Then, I started reading all of the recent news about this project and it broke my heart. Hollywood will tear this film in a million pieces and the author is protesting that she loves it. So, I will go tomorrow all the way to freakin' Westwood and I will be asking Spike the appropriate questions and fill you in on the current status. I'm just heartbroken - CGI is the devil when it comes to puppet related art.