What guest stars would you have liked to seen?

unclematt

Reaction score
I would never say that Meyers was a straight man to Carvey

Gorgon Heap

Reaction score
I would never say that Meyers was a straight man to Carvey
I think I said it wrong. Between the two, Carvey was the one who did more impressions, was goofier overall, had the longer tenure on SNL, and was probably the one who the public expected to be a star after SNL. Could anyone have predicted the success that Myers has had post-SNL?

I was comparing this to how Cook was arguably the funnier of Cook & Moore, and people probably expected more from Cook's career than Moore's. Ditto the two from "Bosom Buddies"- who back then thought Tom Hanks would become the star he is today? Ditto Lenny & Squiggy- people thought David L. Lander was funnier than Michael McKean, but McKean went on to do "This is Spinal Tap" and nearly every Christopher Guest picture.

Of course, I wasn't around at the time (or at least not old enough to understand) so I don't know for sure.

David "Gorgon Heap" Ebersole

FuzzMonkey

Reaction score
How about Kate Bush? Her passionate and eclectic style would have also fit in nicely with the Muppets.

Winslow Leach

Reaction score
I think I said it wrong. Between the two, Carvey was the one who did more impressions, was goofier overall, had the longer tenure on SNL, and was probably the one who the public expected to be a star after SNL. Could anyone have predicted the success that Myers has had post-SNL?

I was comparing this to how Cook was arguably the funnier of Cook & Moore, and people probably expected more from Cook's career than Moore's. Ditto the two from "Bosom Buddies"- who back then thought Tom Hanks would become the star he is today? Ditto Lenny & Squiggy- people thought David L. Lander was funnier than Michael McKean, but McKean went on to do "This is Spinal Tap" and nearly every Christopher Guest picture.

Of course, I wasn't around at the time (or at least not old enough to understand) so I don't know for sure.

David "Gorgon Heap" Ebersole
Comedian Stephen Fry once said Peter Cook was "the funniest man who ever drew breath."

Although they reunited several times in the 1970s and 1980s, Moore decided to stay in the States and pursue a Hollywood career shortly after Cook & Moore's Broadway show closed. One of Moore's first Hollywood movies was the Chevy Chase/Goldie Hawn comedy-thriller Foul Play. Then he was cast in 10 with Bo Derek, followed by Arthur, which cemented his Hollywood fame. BTW, John Belushi was actually offered the part of the perpetually-drunk Arthur, but he wanted to break away from playing characters who overindulged.

Watching SNL in the late 1980s and early 1990s, it did seem as if Dana Carvey would be the breakout star, along with Jon Lovitz.

And Tom Hanks?

Aside from Bosom Buddies, he had a small role in a low-budget slasher flick, He Knows You're Alone. He also guest-starred on a couple of episodes of Family Ties, as Meredith Baxter's troubled brother. The lead in Splash was originally meant for John Candy, but director Ron Howard thought Candy would be funnier as the brother of the lead.

BTW, Hanks's Bosom Buddies co-star was Peter Scolari.

unclematt

Reaction score
David I see where you are coming from naw and you and Winslow make some excellent points

peyjenk

Reaction score
I thought for years that Alfre Woodard was a guest star on TMS. Everytime I saw her, I would think, "Hey, she was on The Muppet Show!" And then, late last year, I found out that she wasn't.

Oh, well, I still like her.

ploobis

Reaction score
I would love to see Tim Conway do something with The Muppets!

AdamBS

Reaction score
This is a great thread. I have a long list. Sorry. :boo:

Elvis Presley (a new challenge like this could have saved his life)
Alfred Hitchcock (guest star and guest director)
Marlon Brando
Howdy Doody
Martin & Lewis
Jerry Lee Lewis
Stephen King (as well as writer of a segment or two)
Tom Petty
Ozzy Osbourne
Aerosmith
Ricky Nelson
Wilt Chamberlain
Bob Dylan
Robert Frost
Fats Domino
Clint Eastwood
Sally Field
Steven Spielberg (guest star and guest director)
Sylvester Stallone
Wilson Pickett
Harrison Ford
John Wayne
The Lone Ranger
Bruce Springsteen
Muhammad Ali
Redd Foxx
Michael Landon
The surviving cast of the Beverly Hillbillies (at that time, everyone but Granny)
Bugs Bunny and Daffy Duck
Henry Fonda
Chuck Berry
Roy Orbison
John Travolta

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Um... Sylvester Stallone was a guest star on the Muppet Show, probably Season 3 or later.
Also, not exactly sure how cartoon2-D animated superstars like Bugs Bunny and/or Daffy Duck could've appeared as guest stars on the Muppet Show in 1980.

Hope this helps.