Ruth Buzzi

BEAR

Reaction score
So I just bought the first DVD set of the Best of Rowan & Martin's Laugh In, and on it there is a great exclusive interview with Ruth Buzzi in the bonus material. She mentions how it was to work on Sesame Street and it was interesting. She said it was a different experience from other television work she's done because on Sesame Street she says there isn't really any rehearsal time before taping. She says that they give you a tape with a song on it and you take it home and learn it, then go back to the set and do it. Anyone know any more on this? I found it interesting. She wasn't necessarily putting down the show or anything, in fact she praised what a great program it is and how wonderful the people are, but the experience as an actor was not the greatest as far as the rehearsing went.

Any other thoughts or comments on Ruth on SS? I personally thought she was wonderful on the show.

mikebennidict

Reaction score
I guess it's harder to act out a part if you don't rehease it a few times and maybe because of that she found it a bit harder to do. Just a wild guess.

BEAR

Reaction score
mikebennidict said:
I guess it's harder to act out a part if you don't hehease it a few times and maybe because of that she found it a bit harder to do. Just a wild guess.

Well that is exactly what it is. I mean, I would too if I wasn't able to rehearse with a musical director or something to make sure I am doing it right.

Ilikemuppets

Reaction score
It was probably just a bit of an adjustment an an actress, I'm sure it probably took a little getting used to. But I'm sure it probably didn't take long to get adapted to.

I heard Steve Whitmire say that is one of the reasons he was not put on the show. He said there is really not much rehearsal time, The filming process is strictly professional and fast pace and you get two takes if your lucky. They don't play around. When he auditioned for the show, Jim knew he was not ready for that yet and had hie do the muppet show which was much slower paced and gave him time to learn because he kept messing up as an armature. Later, Jim kept him off because he wanted him for other projects, and Jerry told him that once you that once you are on that show, there is no getting out.

I don't know if you already read this but I hope this helps.

BEAR

Reaction score
Because Ruth Buzzi was so used to doing all those sketch comedy shows like Laugh In where it was probably more important to have atleast one rehearsal before the actual taping.

I see what you mean about SS only getting a couple takes (if lucky) which is why we often see adlibbing and little bloopers. Its actually kinda fun to see it that way as if it is real and being done for the first time just for us.

Ilikemuppets

Reaction score
Yeah, I thin I like that to. If you are good at adlibbing, you can recover from a mistake and make it funny. Frank Oz would be a great example.

BEAR

Reaction score
Yeah, Frank Oz was always good with the adlibbing, especially with Grover. Although when he did Cookie Monster on the Martha show he was brilliant! "Martha, it your show. You can call it whatever you want. You can call it Shirley."

Ilikemuppets

Reaction score
Yeah, I was beginning to wonder just who was the host and who was the guest! LoL!

Tim

Reaction score
I've always like the fly-by-your-seat way about SS. Some of the best stuff was with Oscar, since you KNOW Carroll was tossing stuff in on camera.

As for Ruth Buzzi (Who just had a birthday by the way!), I doubt she was putting the show down, since she just doesn't seem the type to do that, and even the worst thing she was involved with (That God-awfull Krofft show with Jim Neighbors-who dispised doing it.) she spoke fondly of since they got to be such good friends out of it.

Ilikemuppets

Reaction score
I thought she was a great addition to the show, she really brought a lot of energy to it, and she always brings 110% to whatever she dose.

Caroll is absolutely great on camara as well, he never ceases to make me laugh!:smile: