My Thoughts: Disney's Muppets

RealMissPiggy

Reaction score
I don't think anything makes someone more of a true muppet fan over anyone else . The fact that we all love the muppets in our own way should be enough
:attitude: Call me snobby but i think there is a difference im not pointing anyone out or saying name but some people know nothing about the Muppet's besides the names of the puppets them selfs!

For some people there Love is on a much deeper level.

If you ask me being a TRUE Muppet fan is knowing about
Jim, his works, struggles and triumphs.

From the Bigs things-

Not knowing the origins of Kermit

the little -
thinking pepe is a shrimp when in fact hes a king prawn!-LOL

Its like this, some people watch Muppet Christmas carol and think its the greats thing ever,but without ever seeing a Muppet Family Christmas you'll never really know how REAL Kermit celebrates Christmas! :smile:

*shrugs

To each his own i suppose but i am entitled to my Opinion:wink:

Redsonga

Reaction score
I don't know, I still think you can be a true fan without knowing every little detail (which is not to say I don't know the history myself). I mean of course you have to know more than just their names but still...
As for me I have never liked Pepe period. But then he is a lot like Rizzo, whom I've never cared for ether :wink:

TheJimHensonHour

Reaction score
Obessed fan knowing everything = me and many of the rest of us here lol
Casual Fan = people who like the muppets but don't know everything.
Does that make one better than the other?
No, because it doesn't matter, muppet fans are muppet fans and at the end of the day that's what counts.

Redsonga

Reaction score
Obessed fan knowing everything = me and many of the rest of us here lol
Casual Fan = people who like the muppets but don't know everything.
Does that make one better than the other?
No, because it doesn't matter, muppet fans are muppet fans and at the end of the day that's what counts.
I guess I am more of a Casual Fan then :smile:. I don't think I would want to know everything really, I'd rather just see it as magic talent and leave it at that :excited:

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
I believe that how the Muppets are introduced to a fan influences their perception. I was born in 1974 and introduced to the Henson characters through Sesame Street. Now, the show already had five seasons before I was able to watch it. It was soon eclipsed in my life by the Muppet Show and what many fans consider a classic Muppet today. Now that doesn't diminish Sesame Street one bit or my love or fandom for it in my eyes and it shouldn't in anyone else's either. :wisdom:

Nonetheless, viewing the already airing Muppet Show and attending the theatrical release of the Muppet Movie in 1979 when I was five are largely how I was introduced to the Muppet gang. Many would say that is the ideal, but others might believe that being alive during the run of Sam & Friends trumps that. So I don't believe there is an adequate definition of a true or bigger fan. Heck, I provided much credited design work for here and Palisades and still don't feel like my fandom reaches the stratosphere of many others around here! You know who you are and, "You are all weirdoes!" :attitude:

Some hopped aboard the Muppets post Muppet Show with Manhattan, others a little later with Muppet Babies, some around here are firstly Fraggle fans, some hopped aboard with the Henson Hour or at the time of Jim's death, others hopped on with the post Jim Christmas Carol or Treasure Island, then there's always Muppets Tonight, and the infamous Muppets From Space, some of the newest fans discovered the NBC Christmas special or ABC's Wizard of Oz.

To tell you the truth, the two projects I'd withhold (until later) when introducing new fans to the Muppets are the Muppet Babies and Muppets from Space. My opinions on the production aside there are better projects that define the Muppets' personalities much better. I suppose that's the segment of fans that have the most disconnect with my Muppet taste. No judgments there. Just being honest. We are all fans - like Muppets - no better than the others except in the eye of the beholder (or puppet builders that quit making them for an unknown reason). :wink:

Redsonga

Reaction score
Well, I saw The Muppet Movie on vhs and then like most of my generation loved Muppet Babies :3. SS is pretty much a give in :smile:
But you know, I knew MBs was different than the normal muppet movies but I did not care so much because they were just what I always loved about the muppets at the deepest level: funny :smile:.

So just as I don't like Pepe but alot of younger fans do because he is funny to them, so I guess in turn someone older than me would not like MBs, even though I do.
It's all about you as a person I think, not a matter of lording over another person as more or less of a fan because they like something you think isn't worth two cents. IMHO it's all a matter of taste :3.
We can all live together in peace yup yup :big_grin:!

TheJimHensonHour

Reaction score
I grew up with Sesame also and Emmit Otter and toss in a lil muppet show and fraggle rock and you've got me hooked for life.

Redsonga

Reaction score
I grew up with Sesame also and Emmit Otter and toss in a lil muppet show and fraggle rock and you've got me hooked for life.
I still say I must have watched Fraggle Rock at some time when I was a baby because I still call my mother 'Ma' and I think that is where I got it :wink:.

I think what hooked me was when the Muppets went to Disneyworld :excited: . It's funny how Disney owns them now that I think about it :coy:

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
Well, I saw The Muppet Movie on vhs and then like most of my generation loved Muppet Babies :3. SS is pretty much a give in
But you know, I knew MBs was different than the normal muppet movies but I did not care so much because they were just what I always loved about the muppets at the deepest level: funny.

So just as I don't like Pepe but alot of younger fans do because he is funny to them, so I guess in turn someone older than me would not like MBs, even though I do.
It's all about you as a person I think, not a matter of lording over another person as more or less of a fan because they like something you think isn't worth two cents. IMHO it's all a matter of taste :3.
We can all live together in peace yup yup :big_grin:!
I agree. I still think that one's personal taste of the Muppets is influenced by the projects that introduced them to the gang but not completely. Independent personal taste does have a lot to do with it too.

As a fan in his 30s I like Pepe. I find he fits so well that it feels he's been there all along. So I don't think it's just the young people he connects with. There are classic elements of Muppetness in the shrimp...er...king prawn. :rolleyes:

Maybe the prawn's got a time machine?

Redsonga

Reaction score
Something just seems a bit..off to me about Pepe. But then, like I said I never quite 'got' Rizzo ether. I don't know why :\
Anyway, I'm sure everyone has their least favorites to :smile: