The "Next Muppet on Family Guy" thread

beaker

Reaction score
I cant stand Family Guy anymore. Sure, virtually every episode has Sesame or Muppet parodies(including the Star Wars spoof movies), but the show is just repulsive.

Ive become a big Simpsons fan again, as the newer seasons prove to me they're edgy and smart in their own way. I like the recent Christmas episode, which included a scene where Maggie wants Homer to pop in a spoof of Muppet Family Christmas. Which leads to her envisioning the Simpsons as Muppet puppets.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I cant stand Family Guy anymore. Sure, virtually every episode has Sesame or Muppet parodies(including the Star Wars spoof movies), but the show is just repulsive.

Ive become a big Simpsons fan again, as the newer seasons prove to me they're edgy and smart in their own way. I like the recent Christmas episode, which included a scene where Maggie wants Homer to pop in a spoof of Muppet Family Christmas. Which leads to her envisioning the Simpsons as Muppet puppets.
Actually, I have problems with BOTH. Both shows have hit their strides long ago (though I do like the FG Star Wars episodes... need to see the third one), and they're at the point where if you see one or two good episodes a season it at least means they're trying. I hate how everyone in FG has no personality, and basically just perform nasty acts on each other (Meg especially... yeah, I get it, it's tough writing for the female lead that Fox made you add to the show 12 years ago). Likewise I hate how the Simpsons became the Lisa Simpson soapbox show (especially this season) where the writers willfully brandish their Harvard education and cast people no one but them have heard about or cared about as special guest stars. Oh yeah, they got a poet lauriet or obscure archetect to say "D'Oh!" :rolleyes: And yet they still find Cletus hilarious. Though I agree, I LOVED that puppet Simpsons bit.

I find the unsung heroes are the red headed step shows like Futurama and American Dad, where you know the writers have middle child syndrome and are out there writing the heck out of shows that just don't have the same sway as the bloated sacks that keep getting renewed because everyone watches them. Shows with bizarre way out plots that don't copy from themselves and seem repetitive. The rapture episode of American Dad is one of the most brilliant TV cartoons I've seen in ever.

Don't get me wrong, I still dig FG and Simpsons and watch every episode... but if I see one more Simpsons where Lisa spends the episode whining about how hard it is the be a precocious vegetarian Buddhist environmentalist artistic girl or one more Family Guy where Peter acts like a 2 year old for the first act and a half before the main plot with Stewie and Brian, I'll scream.

Drtooth

Reaction score
... Uh... Cleveland Show had Cleveland about to wear a towel with a hood that made him "look like Cookie Monster."

CBPuppets

Reaction score
Last Night's Episode of Family Guy Had a Cutaway when Lois Tells Joyce Kinney That She's a Lady Bigshot like Miss Piggy!

Here's The Link!

Princeton

Reaction score
Meanwhile, I dare anyone to watch the O.J. Simpson episode of FG and laugh. There was one good joke in there, and that was it.
By no means the funniest episode, I chuckled at it a few times: the caricature of Ron Goldman's father and the opera re-enactment.

Drtooth

Reaction score
By no means the funniest episode, I chuckled at it a few times: the caricature of Ron Goldman's father and the opera re-enactment.
The 5 minute Conway Twitty laziness... ehh... cutaway ruined the entire episode. The Opera, the reference to BTTF, and the Simpsons joke were the only things I'd consider "funny parts."

Meanwhile, American Dad gets "King of the Hill-ed" out of the line up at the 7:30 death slot.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Forgot to mention... Last episode of Cleveland had Cleveland Jr. mutter "A loaf of bread, a container of milk, and a stick of butter" for a minute.

Minstrel Murray

Reaction score
Forgot to mention... Last episode of Cleveland had Cleveland Jr. mutter "A loaf of bread, a container of milk, and a stick of butter" for a minute.
Yeah, I noticed that too. I just signed on to see if anyone had mentioned it. When I heard him say that I definitely recognized it, but I couldn't immediately remember what it was from. I would consider that an obscure reference, although the sketch is included on Old School Vol 1. I wonder who wanted to put that in The Cleveland Show. Just like I wonder why they made a CatDog reference on Family Guy a couple of weeks ago.

anytimepally

Reaction score
Last episode, Joe's wife and Lois did "muppet style sightseeing" in Paris as actual puppets instead of cartoons