In Development: Henson's Fraggle Rock Movie

unclematt

Reaction score
I know this is the Fraggle Movie thread but all I have to say is that if DC2 is direct to DVD I'm out. I will not see it. I am tired of being ripped off in almost every comcievable way wnhen it has come to my favorite symbel of pop culture, the Muppets and the Jim Henson Brand. I am sick to my stomach right now.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Hey, with the strike going on and movie scripts going unproduced (the Justice League film may not happen) I'll be surprised if this actually happens, theatrical, DTV, or telefilm now.

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
Hey, with the strike going on and movie scripts going unproduced (the Justice League film may not happen) I'll be surprised if this actually happens, theatrical, DTV, or telefilm now.
Well the Justice League Movie, exciting as the prospect is, needed to go away for a while for the sake of securing Christopher Nolan for a third Batman film and hopefully Bryan Singer and Brandon Routh for Superman: Man of Steel. There's just so much that could go wrong with a JLA live action film that it's probably best to just leave the profitable new individual brandings of Superman and Batman alone for a little while longer.

Back to Fraggle Rock. I'm sure the writers strike has touched the Fraggle Movie but probably not that much. I don't understand this gloom with so very little information to go by. The facts as I see them are that 20th Century Fox (through HIT) has a nice DVD seller in Fraggle Rock already. With Fox's Alvin & the Chipmunks being a nostalgic property and their greatest theatrical smash hit of 2007, I can see them being interested in backing a Fraggle Rock motion picture for theatrical release. There's no information on them being interested, but it could easily happen from them (or many other studios who have taken note). The Fraggles aren't quite the secret they've been in previous years. I feel it's the Henson Company that's been dragging its feet more than writers, studios or performers. I don't see pessimism with the Fraggles. I see opportunities. And there's no ticking clock on this except in the minds of Fraggle fans like us who have waited to see this happen.

unclematt

Reaction score
Frogboy I applaud you for always being so optimistic

Luke

Reaction score
The facts as I see them are that 20th Century Fox (through HIT) has a nice DVD seller in Fraggle Rock already. With Fox's Alvin & the Chipmunks being a nostalgic property and their greatest theatrical smash hit of 2007, I can see them being interested in backing a Fraggle Rock motion picture for theatrical release.
Agreed, i think because of HIT anything could happen (if HIT are associated with the movie, i would guess so) although it might also go to the same people who are supposed to be distributing Power Of Dark Crystal, smaller but they've still had some decent name releases. I don't think it has quite the retro name value as Alvin, but its still worthy of the theater - even if only put out with limited distribution by an indie company. If they do go forward with making it i just don't see Henson letting it go straight to DVD - it's too major for them.

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
If they do go forward with making it i just don't see Henson letting it go straight to DVD - it's too major for them.
:smirk: I thought that the sale of the Muppets would help the Henson Company gain focus, and it has a little. But it just seems they aren’t taking enough initiative – especially with the Fraggles. I don’t see any real strategy behind the decisions. Fraggles really should have come before Crystal, Puppet Up, Skrumps or Tinseltown. I don’t see the advantage of what they’ve been doing so far. Let’s hope that this project ripens with the extra time it has taken. :excited:

With all of the false starts on Crystal, Fraggles and even poor follow-through with Puppet Up and Tinseltown, I feel better and better that Disney owns the Muppet brand. They haven't shown much follow-through, but they certainly have provided much more of it with the Muppets. :smile:

doozersticks

Reaction score
I think that it should happen. My children love fraggle rock and I think it would do surprisingly well.. As long as all the characters are in it and they get some people you wrote the show to write the movie with Admett Zappa...

Drtooth

Reaction score
Well the Justice League Movie, exciting as the prospect is, needed to go away for a while for the sake of securing Christopher Nolan for a third Batman film and hopefully Bryan Singer and Brandon Routh for Superman: Man of Steel. There's just so much that could go wrong with a JLA live action film that it's probably best to just leave the profitable new individual brandings of Superman and Batman alone for a little while longer.
Well, I have to admit, I'm not crazy about Justice League anyway. It takes all the uniqueness out of Batman for one. And Batman is just about the only straight through superhero I like anyway. I tend to gravitate towards parody characters like the Tick or Darkwing Duck. Plus, it seems like one of those things the fans would only be disappointed in, and they're the only ones who would care about it.

Back to Fraggle Rock. I'm sure the writers strike has touched the Fraggle Movie but probably not that much. I don't understand this gloom with so very little information to go by. The facts as I see them are that 20th Century Fox (through HIT) has a nice DVD seller in Fraggle Rock already. With Fox's Alvin & the Chipmunks being a nostalgic property and their greatest theatrical smash hit of 2007, I can see them being interested in backing a Fraggle Rock motion picture for theatrical release. There's no information on them being interested, but it could easily happen from them (or many other studios who have taken note). The Fraggles aren't quite the secret they've been in previous years.
Hey, if an African American cast of the Honeymooners (which had no appeal to anyone) can be theatrically released (for a week), they sure as shootin' can get this theatrically released. With the Alvin film doing much better than expected, and upcoming Smurfs and He-man films, I have nothing but hope FR will be theatrical.

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
Hey, if an African American cast of the Honeymooners (which had no appeal to anyone) can be theatrically released (for a week), they sure as shootin' can get this theatrically released. With the Alvin film doing much better than expected, and upcoming Smurfs and He-man films, I have nothing but hope FR will be theatrical.
Oh, I'm not touching that. LOL! I can say that I actually watched two episodes of the original Honeymooners show last night on DVD. Oh, yeah and Roger Ebert hated "The Great Muppet Caper" but admits to enjoying that "Honeymooners" movie that came out a couple years ago. Man has he lost perspective!

I still don't get what Henson Co is thinking? They can get funding for unknown animated pig DVDs but not enough interest to get a Fraggle film in actual production? Procrastination is the only reason I can think of. :smirk: