The ask Jim Lewis thread is now open

dwayne1115

Reaction score
hey yall i just sent the questins to Jim, I for one can't wait to hear the answers to some of these qusetions. So lets hope we hear from him soon.

dwayne1115

Reaction score
Hey everyone, here they are the answers to the qustions you asked. I was super shocked with getting the answers this quick.(A FEW HOURS)!!!

More Questions For Jim Lewis

1. I've got another question now. Can you describe the infamous cut Snoop Dog scene from It's a Very Merry Muppet Christmas Movie? I've seen a promotional picture (not sure if it was actually a still or taken when he was on the set) of Snoop Dog backstage (The Muppet Show's backstage, not an actual backstage) with Dr. Teeth, Floyd, and Janice, so I guess he was with the Electric Mayhem. So I'd like to know if he was with the whole Electric Mayhem (I didn't see Animal, Zoot or Lips (the trumpet player from the last season and The Great Muppet Caper, if you're not sure off-hand who he is) in the picture), and if any other characters were in the scene, and I'd like to know what happened during the scene (I'm not asking for a transcript of the scene, but a basic summary), and when it was supposed to happen in the film (my guess would be either at the beginning of the film or before Kermit went looking for Fozzie).

To be honest, I can’t remember when it was supposed to happen in the picture, though your guess is probably right. Here’s how I remember it. (I wasn’t there, but I did help put the scene together.) We come upon Kermit and Snoop backstage talking in that patented Snoop patois (e.g. “Off the hizzle f’shizzle….etc”). Surprisingly, Kermit is fluent in this lingo and has his own Frogg Pound. We then see the Electric Mayhem band sitting nearby. Floyd Pepper asks a typically insightful question, something along the lines of: “Didja ever think that maybe the whole world is a molecule on the big toe of some giant in the cosmos?” To which Snoop gives a long (and to me) totally confusing answer just brimming with “hizzles” and “f’shizzles”. Floyd, Animal, and the rest of the band nod sagely and then Zoot says a line that was ad libbed on the spot: “Man, that’s the first thing around here I’ve understood in 30 years”.

2. I was wondering, about VMC, was The Boss written with Whoopi Goldberg in mind? And/or Rachel Bitterman with Joan in mind?

No. Drawing up a list of who you want to play which part is a game you play when you really should be writing or doing other work. It’s always a matter of availability and other factors. Once someone is cast, you look at the script and look for ways to make it work better for whomever is in the part. And, of course, the performer has their input and insight. (After all, we’re not talking Shakespeare here. He’s got a no-change clause on his contract, we Muppet writers don’t.) I thought both Whoopi and Joan did a fantastic job, as did the joyfully talented David Arquette. (Who’s character—Daniel—was named after my son, by the way. Ergo Whoopi saying: “Danny L”)

3. Is lack of puppeteers the real reason for characters like Rowlf and the Electric Mayhem's disappearances? Or was it a writing decission, did the characters sort of "fizzle" out? If it was puppeteers, why not try and find the puppeteers?

Certainly the characters didn’t fizzle out. But, as you know, Muppets are performed and usually created by a single performer. When that performer is not there, it’s not a matter of merely finding a new voice or puppeteering talent, it’s a matter of literally re-creating the soul of the character so you believe it’s the same character. A daunting task. It can be done, but it takes time and opportunity. And funny scripts, which is what I should be writing right now, but would much rather be doing this.

4. On Muppets Tonight there where some New Muppets,. Did you help in the creation of them, and if so how did you find what would work and would not work?

Trial and error. The characters come to life in workshop (where performers try out different ideas with input from the writers), then when the few and the proud have been chosen, we try to write scenes that explore the character and how he/she interacts with existing characters. Sometimes it works beautifully (Pepe) and sometimes it doesn’t quite hit the mark (Mr. Poodlepants…whom I still love.)

5. What advice would you give for people interested in a career in writing for Television?

Write. Try writing a spec (i.e. speculative) script of a show you like. If you want to write comedy, this is difficult since there are so few comedies on the air right now. If you’re truly inspired, write something original. Come up with the story and characters, write an outline, work on it until it is as tight as you can make it, then write it up as a script….and throw it over some transoms to anyone (e.g. agents, friends of friends of friends). The other way is to write something and make it with friends. Put it up on Youtube. It’s there for everyone to see. It’s a calling card that people can watch, not have to sit down and read. They don’t have to imagine what it will look like because they can see it. Of course, my own entry into this world has nothing to do with any of the above: I got into writing for TV and the Muppets by working at Muppet Magazine—a strange route to a strange career.

6. What can we fans do to facilitate the creative/availability of more muppet stuff? Are letters better than emails? Do they look how fast things sell, or how steadily? Does anyone want our input on what we'd buy--including pre-ordering stuff?

I’m all in favor of popular uprisings. A few placards, a torch or two and some clever chants outside the gates always seems to me the best way to get thing happening in this town…..Seriously, it’s all of the things you say: sending e-mails, writing letters, pre-ordering stuff is all good. When sites like this get excited about a project, it makes everyone feel that we’re headed in the right direction. That said, there is no secret way to make it happen; if there was, I’d be writing chants and penning placards even as we speak. Got a match?

Luke

Reaction score
dwayne said:
I’m all in favor of popular uprisings. A few placards, a torch or two and some clever chants outside the gates always seems to me the best way to get thing happening in this town…..
I'd actually be up for that more than the emails. It'd get a lot of TV coverage - "Muppet Maniacs Bait Traps To Rouse The Mouse!". Infact the Muppet Studios would probably even appreciate the publicity at the moment!

... and that Snoop scene sounds brilliant!

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Okay, time for another question...

Whenever you or the other writers work on a one-time project with the cast of The Muppet Show, like a special or movie (I would only count a few one-time guest apearances on other TV shows, like the Muppets appearance on The Cosby Show), do you and the other writers need to know which performers will be available for the production before you write, or do you just write in whatever characters you want to have included, and then rewrite the part if the performer of that character isn't available (I don't know if I worded that right, so I'll just give an example... If, back when Jerry Nelson was still performing with the Mupets, you wrote a script that featured a scene with Floyd, and then Jerry Nelson ended up not being available to perform in that scene or production... would you have rewrote itt o include another character, or would you have kept it in and prayed that Jerry Nelson would loop the voice later)?

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Considering that Dave Goelz would normally give Zoot's scripted lines away to other characters whenever he could, it's interesting that Goelz would improvise a line for Zoot.

dwayne1115

Reaction score
yea i really can't think of that Snoop scene not being in the movie. That sounds real cool. I also have another qustion, and here it is.

Have you ever worked on other Henson shows such as Sesmae Street Fragle Rock or even Muppet Babies? If not did you ever have any ideas for storys for any of thouse shows?

Ilikemuppets

Reaction score
That Snoop Dog scene sounds pretty funny. But I have to agree that by the sounds of it, it really did not futher advance the plot of the movie just as many others delieted scenes in the movie didn't. Plus there is only so much space with something that runs two houns on television. There is so much to consider when making final decisions about what gose into a movie. Ultimately, you have do what in the best intrest for that movie to get the best possible results. It's not always about it being a really great scene, but that's just the way the business gose. It would have been great if that was included into the movie, but I think that they nailed it and got it right.

theprawncracker

Reaction score
Question for Jim...
Do you have your own copies of the final completed scripts you've written? Or are all copies kept by the respective companies exclusively?

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Question for Jim...
Do you have your own copies of the final completed scripts you've written? Or are all copies kept by the respective companies exclusively?
I was actually wonderign that myself after Jim's response of not remembering the name of the Muppets Tonight band. I would expect/ hope that most writers would be allowed to keep their scripts. I expect that several copies of the scripts would be printed, and it would be odd if everybody who got a copy of the same script (actors and so on) had to give their copies of the scripts back to the production company. It's great that you beat me to asking this question. I had a few other questions planned before that one.