"Fraggle Rock" Airs in Canada on BBC Kids

zeldazipple

Reaction score
Yeah me too. I don't have a satelite either, but that would have been cool to record the ones I haven't baught yet. I'm just happy they are broadcasting it again. I wonder if it's the UK version of FR or the Canada/US one. I know they are pretty much the same except for a few changes but I would like to see a difernt version of it. lol

Leyla

Reaction score
Oh, lucky me, I've got that channel. I haven't seen it yet, but according to the guide it's NOT the puppet version that's playing. It's the cartoon version.

"Cartoon version of Jim Henson's beloved puppet series about the carefree creatures called Fraggles. (Animated)"

Faylo

Reaction score
Hmm, according to the BBC website though it's the puppetry one. Maybe it's a mix of both? Like, they show an animated episode one day and the original one the next?

MokeynSprocket

Reaction score
To me this is good and bad! It's good because Fraggle Rock is being aired and will be promoted in a sense. However, it's bad because for all the Canadians who have purchased Fraggle Rock on DVD could have saved their money. Basically, there are certain television shows I love, but will not purchase because they are aired everyday. For instance, All in the Family, 3's Company, I Love Lucy, are shows that I love, but will not purchase them "UNLESS" they were not aired anymore. Most TV show dvds I own are purchased with the notion that these shows will never be aired again. However, if they will still be aired, then I would not purchase them, but simply enjoy them on tv. I'm sure some Canadians probably would not have purchased the box sex had they known it would soon be aired. Well, you tell me! Is it fair or unfair to fans who have purchased the box sets in Canada?

Ilikemuppets

Reaction score
Maybe if they don't get the channel, then it would be a good thing.

Traveling Matt

Reaction score
Oh, lucky me, I've got that channel. I haven't seen it yet, but according to the guide it's NOT the puppet version that's playing. It's the cartoon version.

"Cartoon version of Jim Henson's beloved puppet series about the carefree creatures called Fraggles. (Animated)"
That's interesting. Perhaps they are showing both. There are far fewer cartoon episodes than live action, though.

Traveling Matt

Reaction score
To me this is good and bad! It's good because Fraggle Rock is being aired and will be promoted in a sense. However, it's bad because for all the Canadians who have purchased Fraggle Rock on DVD could have saved their money. Basically, there are certain television shows I love, but will not purchase because they are aired everyday. For instance, All in the Family, 3's Company, I Love Lucy, are shows that I love, but will not purchase them "UNLESS" they were not aired anymore. Most TV show dvds I own are purchased with the notion that these shows will never be aired again. However, if they will still be aired, then I would not purchase them, but simply enjoy them on tv. I'm sure some Canadians probably would not have purchased the box sex had they known it would soon be aired. Well, you tell me! Is it fair or unfair to fans who have purchased the box sets in Canada?
MokeynSprocket,

I used to think like that. I still do for shows like "M*A*S*H" and "I Love Lucy" that will probably rerun forever. But ever since it aired its last episode, Fraggle Rock has been shown in reruns very infrequently. When it does rerun, it is typically yanked off the schedule after a while. It never airs continuously.

I'd give it a year and a half on BBC Kids. Tops.

On the other hand, the DVDs allow you to own the episodes (and in much better video/audio quality), you get great bonus features, you get great bonus material (like the pitch book replica) and you get great packaging. So far HIT has done a wonderful job of preserving this show in a way that no cable network can.

Owning all the episodes is much preferrable over relying on someone else. Especially if you plan on repeated viewings, sharing it with a friend or sharing it with children (now or in the future).

Leyla

Reaction score
Hi! Just an update on the confusion between whether they are playing the animated version, or the puppet version.

Despite the TV guide's opinion, it is the puppet version, hooray! It plays once a day on weekdays, and twice a day early in the morning (8AM here) on the weekend.

Hope that clears things up! It did for me!
Leyla

zeldazipple

Reaction score
I would have baught them anyway

I would have baught the DVDs anyway. Reguardless of the show being aried or not. Heck I baught FR on cassetts eventhough it was still on TV and I could record it anytime I wanted to. Infact I did have all the episoades recorded at one point. But Still wanted the videos.

mrsieve

Reaction score
Its sad to know that the studio they filmed the Fraggles is now a parking lot in downtown Toronto.