The Chipmunks' Triumphant Return

Drtooth

Reaction score
Toned down to a point. At the beginning they were more fan-girly if anything. They DID get diva-ish at a certain point in the movie. But she was mad at Alvin for a good part of the film. That I ALWAYS remembered. That never changed.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Who WOULDN'T be mad at Alvin? I mean, he's a little red-capped jerk-wad butt-faced twerp! It's a wonder he's never drove Dave to the point of suicide... or at least putting him back up for adoption.

Now I gotta wonder... since there's going to be ANOTHER movie, and since the official Chipmunks website has FINALLY been updated recently, does this mean that this will be the characters' permanent new look? Not THAT much of a bother I guess, but if you ask me, this move is like if we suddenly made Mickey, Donald and Goofy look like a real mouse, duck and dog.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Who WOULDN'T be mad at Alvin? I mean, he's a little red-capped jerk-wad butt-faced twerp! It's a wonder he's never drove Dave to the point of suicide... or at least putting him back up for adoption.
Well... lover's frustration is more like it.

Now I gotta wonder... since there's going to be ANOTHER movie, and since the official Chipmunks website has FINALLY been updated recently, does this mean that this will be the characters' permanent new look? Not THAT much of a bother I guess, but if you ask me, this move is like if we suddenly made Mickey, Donald and Goofy look like a real mouse, duck and dog.
I never really cared much for the whole CGI half breeding of realism and cartoonism. Unfortunately they're going the Garfield route as far as merchandise goes, and not the Scooby-Doo route... the former being movie likeness, the latter the classic cartoon likeness. I can't say I really like their movie likenesses all that much, and I still wonder why they decided to go for looking like the original album art but with their 60's-90's clothes... especially since the 60's-90's character designs are the most used up until this point.

I really hope to see Merchandise that looks like their 80's/90's designs at some point. I saw this singing Alvin that sings the Christmas song that looked like the 90's version either last or 2 Christmases ago. Didn't actually want to buy it, but something like that without a singing mechanism.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I saw this singing Alvin that sings the Christmas song that looked like the 90's version either last or 2 Christmases ago. Didn't actually want to buy it, but something like that without a singing mechanism.
I saw those in stores this past Christmas, but I wasn't sure how old they were, or how long they'd been around.

Other than that, once in a blue moon, I might find plushies/beanies of the 60s version in those rigged iron claw machines... sometimes I'll even see seasonal Rocky and Bullwinkle beanies (like a Rocky with a red helmet and his tail painted red with white hearts for Valentines Day, or a green helmet with red goggles for Christmas, etc).

dmoss

Reaction score
I always loved Theodore and Eleanor together...Theodore reminded me of myself as a kid, and his crush on Eleanor was so endearing, and just plain cute! Hopefully they had some nice scenes together... :smile:

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Theodore and Eleanor were definitely my second favorite couple; I like how in earlier seasons of the 80s cartoon, they were somewhat open about their feelings for each other, like Theodore order two large juices for them both, or Eleanor wrapping herself around Theodore after eating his last peanut.

It's a shame that Eleanor's so under-rated though, so much in fact that people who don't like her don't even understand her AT ALL... they're like "Oh, she was the annoying chubby one who loved to eat like Theodore." I don't recall Eleanor ever being annoying... and she wasn't as gluttonous as Theodore, and on top of that, her "chubbiness" was really from where she had built herself up in all the sporting activities she got involved in... so she wasn't really "chubby" persay as she was "buff". I mean heck, I think someone like her would be a much better role model for little girls out there than Miley Cyrus and Lindsay Lohan.

dmoss

Reaction score
So nice to hear somebody else has the same feelings about them, Snowth! They're so underrated, and usually they're treated like the extras in the group... boy, I really want to see the Squeakquel now! :big_grin:

Drtooth

Reaction score
I'd almost be up for seeing the third one... but as much as I liked Ian in the first, I felt his appearance in the second smacked of sequelitis. Basically bringing back a character from the first movie, giving him the same basic role, only now they want revenge for the actions of the first movie. That's the same problem I had with TMNT Secert of the Ooze. I love Shredder and all, but the TMNT have all these great villains like Baxter Stockman and so forth... they would have been a much better fit than the toy commercial they ended up with.

Batman doesn't ALWAYS have to fight the Joker. I want a new villain or something for the next film.

Plus, I swear to frog... I HATE the fact they shoved Fox's Nascar mascot into the film for NO apparent reason.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
So nice to hear somebody else has the same feelings about them, Snowth! They're so underrated, and usually they're treated like the extras in the group... boy, I really want to see the Squeakquel now! :big_grin:
I'm not sure about Theodore... I think it might because he's the young, innocent, naive one, and it seems like often times, people grow tired of that after a while, because you can really only push innocence and naivete so far before it's not even really funny anymore. At least that's what I've heard from some M*A*S*Hers who actually found Radar annoying after a while.

As for Eleanor, I blame it on lack of writing - with Brittany being the lead Chipette, naturally she gets a lot of attention, and as far as the show went, even Jeanette had a few really good episodes focused on her, but Eleanor really only had like one episode focused on her, and other than that, she was overshadowed quite often; the movies make up for it though, like her big moment in The Chipmunk Adventure insisting they head down to Antarctica to bring the baby penguin back home, and she was essentially the leading lady of the wolfman movie since that focused mostly on Theodore.