Old School Volume 2 coming this fall

Status
Not open for further replies.

mjb1124

Reaction score
I've probably said this before, but while the formula of including one episode and a clip montage for each season is all well and good, I think that sticking to the season premieres results in too much repetition. I know they've probably already picked the episodes, and they're probably all season premieres as with the last set, but if I had a choice, these are the episodes I'd include (at least assuming the choices were limited to Noggin eps).

Season 6: 666
Season 7: 871
Season 8: 1041
Season 9: 1056
Season 10: 1186

Of course you pretty much would have to use the premieres for seasons 6, 9, and 10 by default, but this would still be a more well-rounded collection.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
I've probably said this before, but while the formula of including one episode and a clip montage for each season is all well and good, I think that sticking to the season premieres results in too much repetition. I know they've probably already picked the episodes, and they're probably all season premieres as with the last set, but if I had a choice, these are the episodes I'd include (at least assuming the choices were limited to Noggin eps).

Season 6: 666
Season 7: 871
Season 8: 1041
Season 9: 1056
Season 10: 1186

Of course you pretty much would have to use the premieres for seasons 6, 9, and 10 by default, but this would still be a more well-rounded collection.
Those are some pretty good choices, though I think that if non-season premier episodes are to be included, then Olivia's first appearance needs to be included. I also think that the sixth season episode where Big Bird runs for president would also be a good episode (it's the second episode from season 7). I wonder if Buffy had a proper debut episode.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
At Muppet Wiki, I was reading about episode 847, which featured a guest appearance by Margaret Hamilton as The Wicked Witch. This was a season 7 episode, and apparantly it scarred kids so much that many parents send negative letters to Sesame Workshop, and eventually Sesame Workshop decided that it would not be rerun. I wonder if Sesame Workshop would consider releasing this episode on DVD. It would be a great rarity since it was probably only broadcast on one day (probably twice in whatever areas showed Sesame Street twice a day at the time). Of course, this episode wasn't shown on Noggin, I don't know if Sesame Workshop was still concerned about the problems that this episode caused by then or if it just wasn't shown (the episodes with C3PO and R2D2 weren't initially shown on Noggin, and quite a few historically significant episodes, such as the first appearances of Linda and Olivia, the debut of the Fix-It Shop, and the episodes where the Fix-It Shop was rebuilt, were not shown either). Then again, I wonder if Sesame Workshop would need to get permission from Warner Bros. to release it commercially (The Wizard of Oz is public domain, but the fact that an actress from the movie reprised the role that she played might make it have more to do with the movie).

Muppet Wiki has info on that episode, but no listings of the skits that were included, and we may never know what skits were included. I'd be surprised if it didn't have the skit where witches cooperated, Wanda the Witch, or Kermit's interview with the wicked witches magic mirror.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
If Sesame Workshop decides nott o just have season premiers on all sets, then I guess the 1979-1984 set (if a set for those years is made) would probably have the episode about Mr. Hooper's death. But even if it doesn't, I wonder if the clip where the adults explain his deatht o Big Bird would be included as a bonus clip. I doubtr it was repeated, but then again, the original "I Love Trash" clip doesn't look like something that would have been repeated (it begins with Gordon and akid on the stoop as if they had previously had a conversation, either right before Oscar appeared or before some skits shown before that clip, and it ends with an introduction for a trash film).

wiley207

Reaction score
At Muppet Wiki, I was reading about episode 847, which featured a guest appearance by Margaret Hamilton as The Wicked Witch. This was a season 7 episode, and apparantly it scared kids so much that many parents send negative letters to Sesame Workshop, and eventually Sesame Workshop decided that it would not be rerun. I wonder if Sesame Workshop would consider releasing this episode on DVD. It would be a great rarity since it was probably only broadcast on one day (probably twice in whatever areas showed Sesame Street twice a day at the time).
Wow. That sounds pretty scary (the concept of the episode and the response it got). :embarrassed: I think there could be an imaginary episode using the Wicked Witch street scenes, and the segments could be various scary Sesame Street segments, including Kermit's B-sound lecture with the Beautiful Day Monster, Kermit's "In" lecture with Grover and Fred the Dragon, Ernie's rock-hunting skit with Fred scaring Ernie, the clip with Bob and Luis making the train tunnel, a Mysterious Theater segment (any one would do, but I think the "Missing Cat" segment would be a good choice), the Red-Hot I animated skit, any song that has to do with danger, the "Yakity Yakity Yak" animated segment, and the "Count of Ten" segment with Limbo.

Cool idea, huh?

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Wow. That sounds pretty scary (the concept of the episode and the response it got). :embarrassed: I think there could be an imaginary episode using the Wicked Witch street scenes, and the segments could be various scary Sesame Street segments, including Kermit's B-sound lecture with the Beautiful Day Monster, Kermit's "In" lecture with Grover and Fred the Dragon, Ernie's rock-hunting skit with Fred scaring Ernie, the clip with Bob and Luis making the train tunnel, a Mysterious Theater segment (any one would do, but I think the "Missing Cat" segment would be a good choice), the Red-Hot I animated skit, any song that has to do with danger, the "Yakity Yakity Yak" animated segment, and the "Count of Ten" segment with Limbo.
That sounds like an awesome idea.

Ilikemuppets

Reaction score
What I wonder it how long it too long for old school? Will it series end in 89. or will it go on longer then that?

D'Snowth

Reaction score
What I wonder it how long it too long for old school? Will it series end in 89. or will it go on longer then that?
I consider "Old School" to be 1969-1992/93 or so, because after that is when all the new stuff came along like Around the Corner, the slue of new characters, the new cleaner and brighter set, and eventually Elmo's World... all I know is that most people here consider the 90s a period for "Classic Sesame".

Ilikemuppets

Reaction score
Well, I see what you mean, But on the 92/93 and 93/94, the set basically looked the same. Because 92/93 was the year they moved into the new studio which is why the set looked newer. But the major difference between those season it the amount or older clips that they we're still showing. The show itself was still still the same show that it always has been, seeing as they continued to do what they always do. But that is a arguably a good point where the old school day's end. it varies with three generations of viewers.:smirk:

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Yeah I know that, but the set during 92/93 still had that more realistic kind of dirty look to it like the street always did, 93/94 is when the set looked cleaner like it did up until now when it's trying to take on a slightly grudgier look again.

Status
Not open for further replies.