Truth commercial: Muppets & smoking

wwfpooh

Reaction score
So, I was just thinking--as a moderator--does this thread really promote The Muppets at all, or is it promoting that organization who seems to demote The Muppets?

'Cause, I don' wan'nobody messin' wit mah Muffets!
Ditto. Why smoking organizations even used The Muppets at all--and then would have the gall to say that The Muppets are solely for children--is horrendous.

JJandJanice

Reaction score
Ditto. Why smoking organizations even used The Muppets at all--and then would have the gall to say that The Muppets are solely for children--is horrendous.
And if you really wanna split hairs The Muppet movie isn't the only "kid" (at least in the mind of the truth people) movie to feature a little, very little, smoking. I was wacthing Ratioutee (I'm sure I didn't spell that right) and I'm pretty sure I saw that one guy who clams he "killed a man with his thumb" have a cigeratte in his hands, Muppets from Space had that guard smoking til Pepe says "smoking is very bad for you okay," and again if you really want to split hairs, there are tons of characters that are smoking tobacco though a pipe, that old guy from Little Merimaid comes to mind, and that came out after the Muppet movie.

wwfpooh

Reaction score
And Sesame's own Workshop producers condemned Cookie for his Allistair Cookie sketch, don't forget!

Krazedmuppet

Reaction score
And if you really wanna split hairs The Muppet movie isn't the only "kid" (at least in the mind of the truth people) movie to feature a little, very little, smoking. I was wacthing Ratioutee (I'm sure I didn't spell that right) and I'm pretty sure I saw that one guy who clams he "killed a man with his thumb" have a cigeratte in his hands, Muppets from Space had that guard smoking til Pepe says "smoking is very bad for you okay," and again if you really want to split hairs, there are tons of characters that are smoking tobacco though a pipe, that old guy from Little Merimaid comes to mind, and that came out after the Muppet movie.
The Great Mouse Detective EVERYONE DOES good or bad

Drtooth

Reaction score
And Sesame's own Workshop producers condemned Cookie for his Allistair Cookie sketch, don't forget!

Even though smoke does not billow from the pipe at all. He was basically just chomping it... then chomping on it.

I understand the anti-smoking fervor, but they are clearly trying to blame things that aren't related all the while remaining oblivious to the true problem.

You know, like everything else in a "kiddy medium."

wwfpooh

Reaction score
Even though smoke does not billow from the pipe at all. He was basically just chomping it... then chomping on it.

I understand the anti-smoking fervor, but they are clearly trying to blame things that aren't related all the while remaining oblivious to the true problem.

You know, like everything else in a "kiddy medium."
*is reminded now of that huge character crossover that essentially was meant as an anti-drug PSA, Cartoon All-Stars to the Rescue*

unclematt

Reaction score
They used the Muppets cause they look at them as a kid company and kid entertainment. They were trying to make an example of the cigarette company not of the Muppets.

wwfpooh

Reaction score
They used the Muppets cause they look at them as a kid company and kid entertainment. They were trying to make an example of the cigarette company not of the Muppets.
But in effect, they did just that.

Super Scooter

Reaction score
What does that have to do with anything?
The fact that in The Great Mouse Detective, pretty much all of the characters smoke, and the fact that someone stated that The Muppet Movie isn't the only supposedly "kids" movie to have smoking in it.