Your Thoughts: Dinosaurs Seasons 3-4 DVD

Phillip

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Now that Jim Henson's Dinosaurs Seasons 3-4 have officially arrived on DVD, find out what we think about the new DVD box set.

Read Greg James' review for all the details including info on the bonus features and hidden Easter Eggs.

If you order Dinosaurs Seasons 3-4 with this link from Amazon, a small portion of your order will go to Muppet Central to help keep the site, forum and radio running smoothly. It's a great way to help MC and get a great price on the DVD set with free shipping.

Post here and let us know what you think about this anticipated box set.

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
Well, I have to say that it wasn't until the end of the episode that I realized I was watching the last episode, so the DVDs seem in sequence to how they were aired, but I'd rather they dropped the bonus episodes not seen on TV into the mix where they were supposed to go.

The last episode made me so sad when I realized what I had been watching. But, the social commentary made by that show was strong and yet seems to have had little impact on society. I wish more people had paid attention to the program as, while very silly, it was very poignant.

Demon Baby Sinclair cracked me up!

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
I LOVE Dinosaurs, so I say it's definitely worth it.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
I got this set for my birthday yesterday. I've watched many episodes, and most of the bonus features. I'll review individual episodes later, but here are my thoughts on the features:

Dino-Eggs: So far I've only found three eggs, all on the last disc. I've found Dinoeggs for the promos included (when I heard that some TGIF promos were going to be included, I expected the TGIF promo where the Dinosaurs appear to be caught in somekind of tornado, which promoted the the shows move backt o TGIF in the thrid season. That would have been great since it featured footage made for the promo) and Brian henson talking about foam latex.

Creatures with a Cause: It's great to see some talk about a few of the episodes and their meanings, even ones from the first two seasons. When the crew was talking about A New Leaf, I expected it to lead to them bringing up Steroids to Heaven, since that was also about drugs but more serious.

I'm the Baby, Gotta Love Me!: It's too bad that these sets haven't featured more features on specific characters, but this one is great. It's great that kevin Clash participated on this set (since he didn't participate on the first one).

Nature Calls audio commentary: Great to hear the performers talking about the show. However, I find it odd that they point out that Richard Simmons provided the voice of the dance instructor seen on TV, but not the fact that Sally Kellerman voiced the pterodactyl (especially since the pterodactyl was slightly more significant to the plot). Also sad that, with the exceptions of Brian Henson and Kevin Clash, the voice cast isn't acknowledged (I think this ommissionw as mentioned in the review). They talk about the various performers, but not the main voice cast.

muppet baby

Reaction score
oh man i love this show so much i would love to have the dvds i am going to go to the store and get them this month i am so glad that the dvds are out , and having them in season 1 and 2 in a box set together and 3 and 4 together , that makes them more affordable for me .

i just wanted to put this hear to share my thoughts on the series in geneneral .

I am really sad to say that i did not know that it was henson show untill seveal weeks ago , when i was just brosing the forum .

i called one of my closets friends who i knew loved the show as much as did and never missed a eposide when it was on tv and he did not know that it was a henson show either , and he is going to get the DVDs sometime also .

Wow i can not wait to get the DVDs even though i hear that they are out of order in the dates that they aired on each season.
i am just glad to have them at all they have not aired in sindacaion like i hopeed that they would .

minor muppetz

Reaction score
i am just glad to have them at all they have not aired in sindacaion like i hopeed that they would .
They have aired in syndication. It's just probably been a long time since it's it's been in syndication.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Here are my reviews for the episodes that I've watched so far.

Nature Calls One of the seasons best episodes, and it deserved to have audio commentary. Interestingly, at the end Baby decides that he's ready to be potty traned, but he continues to wear diapers throughout the rest of the shows run. 5 stars.
Baby Talk Another of the seasons best episodes, and one of my favorites. Smoo is a very funny word. For some reason I don't remember Earl's protesting of television having bad family values becomming a problem for everyone. And I especially don't remember Earl wearing pants. It's a shame that this classic didn't get audio commentary (we may never know for sure if this title was meant to be a reference to the short-lived ABC sitcom Baby Talk, which was cancled around the time that this episode was broadcast). 5 stars.
Network Genius I have only seen the last half of this episode a few times. Most of the fictional TV shows (even the ones that Earl doens't like) are hilarious. I especially liked that psychotic-looking baby who constantly repeated "Not the pajamas!" (it seems like this character was spoofing Baby Sinclairs popularity). I watched this after watching Baby Talk, and I noticed that while the network executives introduce "TV Guide Book" in this episode, it had already been seen in Baby Talk (perhaps this episode was produced first). Five stars.
Dirty Dancing I only remembered seeing this once, on ABC, and back then thought that the epsiode was about Fran substituting Robbie's class (she doesn't substitute, and her presence in Robbie's class isn't the main plot). A very funny episode. 4 stars.
Getting to Know You I really like this episode. Features one of my favorite scenes from the show (the scene where Baby tells the bird "I've got a present for you", the bird says, "And where would I find that?", and the Baby says, "In my diaper!"). 5 stars.
Green Card Oddly enough, I remember watching this once in syndication, remembering that Roy and Monica got married, and then remembered seeing the beginning of this episode in syndication a few times, but hadn't realised that these were the same episode. The racist attitude against four-legged creatures is funy. It is a shame that Roy and Monica didn't stay married. But it is one of the few episodes where Roy was a star. It's also funny at the beginning, where Earl complains about how when there is one successful show that all television producers want to make similar shows, leading to the Baby sayong one of Bart Simpson's catch phrases, "Don't have a cow, Dad!" 5 stars.
Wilderness Weekend I don't remember seeing this one before, but it's funny how the male dinosaurs suddenly act like women, while the female dinosaurs drink beer and act like men. And I guess it's great that we get to see Sid Turtlepuss's wife. 4 stars.
Steroids to Heaven Like A New Leaf, this is an anti-drug episode, but this episode takes the effects of drugs more seriously. It is interesting that Spike actually cares about Robbie not taking thornoids. This episode should have been given some commentary. 4 stars.
License to Parent I think this is the first epsiode to show Dinosaurs driving automobiles (in earlier episodes it seems like the Dinosaurs just walked everywhere, though it wasn't specifically stated if they walekd or rode in vehicles). I remember seeing this episode when it was first broadcast, and spent years looking at episode guides to figure out which one this was, and also saw the end in syndication and didn't put the two together (since by then I only remembered Earl driving and takignt he Baby to parenting classes). 4 stars.
Honey, I Miss the Kids This episode seems like a mix between The Mating Dance (Fran being unhappy, and Roy suggesting that Earl spend some time with the kids) and Fran Live (Fran getting a job). 4 stars.
The Clip Show II The second clip show, and it's actually better than the first one. 5 stars.
Earl, Don't Be a Hero One of the few last season episodes that I actualy saw during the shows original run (along with Nature Calls). For the last few years I had wondered if the Captain Impressive action figure was really the Earl toy dressed up, but then I looked at my toy while watching this, and it's obvous that they are different, even if they are similar. The Captain Impressive toy looks more like the model of Earl Sinclair that was seen in one of the features (it might have been an easter egg) on the first set. It's also interesting that the Captain Impressive action figure has a removable costume that would reveal Earl's identity. Also, in Leader of the Pack, whenever Captain Action Figure was talkign about his products and the product names appeare don screen, they all had trademark symbols next to them. In this episode, whenever the name of Captain Action Figures products appeared on-screen, there were no trademark symbols. 5 stars.
Driving Miss Ethyl A funny epsiode, with Earl driving Ethyl to her high school reunion and Fran trying to get the kids to pose for a portrait. However, it seems like at the end, while Earl and Ethyl seem to ahve become friends, Ethyl wasn't as friendly to Earl as I had remembered (though I do remember seeing Ethyl hit Earl before the picture was taken). And I think this was the only epsidoe to specifically mention that it's the year 60,000,002 B.C., instead of 60,000,003 B.C. (the year is listed on a baner at the reuunion). Also interesting that Ethyl expected all of her friends to be there, considering that she chose not to be hurled in Hurling Day. 3 stars.
Terrible Twos A really funny episode, with the Baby turning two and becomming a demon. I liked it when Baby broke Robbie's present because it wasn't bought at a store, and when Bbay watches Blarney. And with this episode, all three of Baby's birthdays were celebrated (even if the thrid one wasn't really his birthday). 4 stars.
Changing Nature The Dinosaurs last episode, and a rather disturbing last episode for such a family series. However, it should have been nominated for an emmy. It also should have had audio commentary. 5 stars.
Into the Woods This episode is a lot better than I had remembered it, though I stil don't think it deserved audio commentary in place of the episodes that I previously stated should have had commentary. I like it when Earl Robbie, and Roy get stuck in the tar pit, and I like the creature who Baby meets. This must be one of the few Dinosaurs characters who Steve Whitmire voiced. And it's great to see the man who is probably Roy's father. 4 stars.
Variations on a Theme Park One of the best unaired episodes, and this one also should have had commentary. Lots of great Disney parodies here. 5 stars.
Earl and Pearl One of my least favorites, though it is also better than I remembered it. I wonder if the shows producers actually built a Pearl costume, or if a previously-used Earl body was reused, or if blue-screen technology was used (though I couldn't tell if Pearl was matted in her scenes with Earl or not). This episode was probably produced and/ or written and meant to be aired before Driving Miss Ethyl, since Pearl was mentioned by either Robbie or Charlene in that episode, yet in this one they had hardly even heard about her. And when Roy first meets her, he acts the same way he (usually) does whenever he's talking to Monica (though he soon stops this attitude around Pearl). It's probably one of the most musical episodes. 3 stars.

muppet baby

Reaction score
They have aired in syndication. It's just probably been a long time since it's it's been in syndication.
oh i forgot about that i did watch them when i could then i really injoyed that so much .

I can't wait until i can get the DVDs .:smile:

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Here are some more reviews:

The Son Also Rises A very funny epsiode, with Robbie becomming the supreme male of the house, and Earl acting like a child. 5 stars.
Charlene and Her Amazing Humans This episode features some great audience shots reminscent of the audience shots on The Muppet Show. I don't ever remember the cavelings mother being seen though. I wonder who mother. 3 stars.
We Are Never Alone Not really that good, though I do like Frans line that comes after she leanrs that Robbie tricked Earl into protecting the environment: "You can't just manipulate your father like a puppet on national TV". 2 stars.