How long has Elmo been around?

muppet baby

Reaction score
sorry if this is in the wrong place but i was wanting to know how long as elmo been around i really like him .
i can still remeber when i was in high school there was a girl and she always had a elmo watch on and a elmo back pack .
he he .

i stared watching sesme street for elmo and bert and erne and grover .
mostly elmo i know that elmo was not in the 70s of course i just could not rember they started him in the 80s .
Thanks :smile: :mad: i love so much along with kermit and piggy and gonzo

Ilikemuppets

Reaction score
He started in 1985. So he has been around for about 22 years now.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
According to Sesame Street Unpaved and the Sesame Street 35th Anniversary Trivia Game, Elmo first appeared in 1979. He started out as a minor character, and became a major character in 1985.

But I've heard that at the Henson Film Festival from 2004 that Caroll Spinney said he originally played Elmo, who debuted as Baby Monster in either the second or third season. Though this fact must be really rare, as no other official source has acknowledged Baby Monster. It seems like nobody here even remembers the character. None of his sketches appeared on Noggin or Old School Vol. 1. Kevin Clash did mention in his book that Elmo was also called Baby Monster, but it seems like he thinks that Elmo was called both names at the same time. At Muppet Wiki there is a second season episode that mentions Baby Monster, with the description reprinted from an issue of Sesame Street Parents Magazine. It probably is the original Elmo, but there was a skit from the first season featuring a different monster who was called Baby Monster. That monster was used in a few sketches from the first season, but I think he was only referred to by name in one sketch, and don't think he had an "official" name.

According to Caroll Spinney's book, Baby Monster appeared in the early seasons, as part of the Monster Family, and after sketches with them stoped being made, Baby Monster was put in storage for years, and when it was decided to create a character named Elmo, the Baby Monster pupet was chosen (as opposed to designing and building a new character). Brian Muehl originally performed Elmo, and when he stopped performing on Sesame Street, Richard Hunt took over, but Hunt didn't like performign the character, and asked Kevin Clash to take over. Elmo became a major character after Kevin Clash took over the part.

muppet baby

Reaction score
According to Sesame Street Unpaved and the Sesame Street 35th Anniversary Trivia Game, Elmo first appeared in 1979. He started out as a minor character, and became a major character in 1985.

But I've heard that at the Henson Film Festival from 2004 that Caroll Spinney said he originally played Elmo, who debuted as Baby Monster in either the second or third season. Though this fact must be really rare, as no other official source has acknowledged Baby Monster. It seems like nobody here even remembers the character. None of his sketches appeared on Noggin or Old School Vol. 1. Kevin Clash did mention in his book that Elmo was also called Baby Monster, but it seems like he thinks that Elmo was called both names at the same time. At Muppet Wiki there is a second season episode that mentions Baby Monster, with the description reprinted from an issue of Sesame Street Parents Magazine. It probably is the original Elmo, but there was a skit from the first season featuring a different monster who was called Baby Monster. That monster was used in a few sketches from the first season, but I think he was only referred to by name in one sketch, and don't think he had an "official" name.

According to Caroll Spinney's book, Baby Monster appeared in the early seasons, as part of the Monster Family, and after sketches with them stoped being made, Baby Monster was put in storage for years, and when it was decided to create a character named Elmo, the Baby Monster pupet was chosen (as opposed to designing and building a new character). Brian Muehl originally performed Elmo, and when he stopped performing on Sesame Street, Richard Hunt took over, but Hunt didn't like performign the character, and asked Kevin Clash to take over. Elmo became a major character after Kevin Clash took over the part.
oh minor mupptz that is to cool about Elmo and that does make since about the baby monster , because of the voice and the and the boby make up he is to cute . i really love Elmo he he He is so cool

Ilikemuppets

Reaction score
Yeah, I knew all that other stuff too, but I just gave you the very condensed version and got starting to the point when answering the question. Yeah, I like Elmo!:smile: And yes, I am aware people hear love him, just in smaller doses. LoL!:smile:

Winslow Leach

Reaction score
My favorite Elmo moment is an early one, probably before he had a name. It was the "Spartacus" sketch.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
My favorite Elmo moment is an early one, probably before he had a name. It was the "Spartacus" sketch.
I take it you're talking about the "Me, Claudius!" Monsterpiece Theater sketch with Smiley doing the logo?

muppet baby

Reaction score
I take it you're talking about the "Me, Claudius!" Monsterpiece Theater sketch with Smiley doing the logo?

i would love to see that skech does anyone know where i can get that ?
I had heard some things about it in the past and i can't remeber if i saw when it first aired or not .:smile: