Are good puppeteers also good at drawing?

Buck-Beaver

Reaction score
I don't think there is necessarily a connection...although a lot of puppeteers are great visual artists too. I started doing puppets as a teenager partially because I was interested in and studying animation, but couldn't draw to save my life. I've gotten a little better. Just a little though.

That being said, I think it's really important for people who build puppets to have classical art skills. I don't really, but I know builders who do and they build much more interesting puppets.

Whispers

Reaction score
XD I consider myself a pretty amateur artist but when people see my CG artwork they think its pretty topnotch haha. But I think creativity is one of the essential parts of puppetry and sort of goes hand in hand with it.
I'm not surprised that so many good puppeteers are also good artists

Buck-Beaver

Reaction score
I think my CG work looks pretty good too, but CG is cheating I think. :stick_out_tongue:

Jinx

Reaction score
Well, just to throw a monkey-wrench into things, I cannot draw to save my life... which is of course why I am a graphic designer for a living!

I find it very interesting that both of my parents, both of my brothers and both of my sisters can all draw, but I cannot. Weird....

DannyRWW

Reaction score
Well, just to throw a monkey-wrench into things, I cannot draw to save my life... which is of course why I am a graphic designer for a living!

I find it very interesting that both of my parents, both of my brothers and both of my sisters can all draw, but I cannot. Weird....
Hmmm...I have four brothers and every single one of us can draw except the youngest (he tried but to no avail).

Maybe this is a little off subject but I find it interesting that most people here make puppets and perform them. I've tried making puppets but have failed in this (every puppet I make is hideous...especially when I get to the mouth plate). I love performing however.
Now since we've been talking about being good artist, I can see how have a strong foundation in cartooning (or other types of drawing) could be very helpful in designing puppets. I used to love to draw ( and sculpt for that matter) and it was actually in a sculpting class I was teaching that I was led to puppetry (someone suggested I offer a puppet making class which was a disaster...but I did learn how to sew). I would bet that most people who can make puppets have a foundation in drawing, but I can garuantee that everyone who can draw cannot make puppets.
Sorry if I want off on a complete tangent here.

RockerRob

Reaction score
I sure hope I can draw since I am an industrial designer and I do mainly hand drawing. Building puppets is a new thing since I took a class in college, but puppeteering is not new because I have been doing that since I was 3, and refining my skills became important to me for some reason in Jr. High. I like to draw and make and perform puppets, but the drawing thing is what makes the money. I have fun doing both... most of the time.

ploobis

Reaction score
Jim Henson was a great artist. How do ya think he came up with The Muppets?

:smile:

wickedpuppets

Reaction score
I would have to fancy myself as a 'good puppeteer' :crazy: but for the life of me I cannot draw to save my life.

I am however a graphic designer and CGI artist lol, but STILL can NOT draw on a piece of paper lol.

as for my designs and CGI work, I've done sites and graphics for Nissian, Holiday Inn, Bike Shows, Big Concerts, Cities, etc etc but NOPE just can't seem to draw :boo:

-Loki-

CoOKiE

Reaction score
Almost like Danny, i've ALWAYS loved the two... Cartooning and Puppetry. Growing up i think i was leaning more towards cartooning... then i got into theatre and then voice acting... and using all those.. i have control of the "cartoon" which is a character... and i voice them as well... Which each drawing theres a personality, along with puppets.

BUT as opposite from Jinx... i'm the one in my family with talent. Not saying no one else can't do anything.. but as for art... entertainment art, visual art... thats not them... thats all me