When Kermit Met Piggy...

stephenjlizard

Reaction score
Kermit & Piggy's relationship is a hard one to peg. "Show biz" relationships are a complex thing sometimes! You could look at it in the sense that Kermit's instincts are to manage all the craziness and crazies that make up the Muppets, and Piggy's constant advances are just something else he has to deal with. Remember, he's fired her on more than one occasion, and there have been times when she didn't hesitate to hit the door for bigger "opportunities"!

You could also look at it in the sense that Kermit might in fact share feelings for Piggy, but again he has so much on his plate at any given moment that nurturing that relationship always seems to take the back seat to, say, eight-foot monsters trampling through the house, chickens fluttering all over the place, and another production number that still isn't set up on stage!

I personally like to think that it's a little of both. I really mean it, when you're a performer (not necessarily a movie star, but a stage performer) your life can be very complex, and what you want -- determining what's "the goal" -- can be tough sometimes. Pile that onto Kermit's overall role in the Muppets, and whether he feels something or not, there's still more chickens to herd onstage!

BeakerSqueedom

Reaction score
Kermit & Piggy's relationship is a hard one to peg. "Show biz" relationships are a complex thing sometimes! You could look at it in the sense that Kermit's instincts are to manage all the craziness and crazies that make up the Muppets, and Piggy's constant advances are just something else he has to deal with. Remember, he's fired her on more than one occasion, and there have been times when she didn't hesitate to hit the door for bigger "opportunities"!

You could also look at it in the sense that Kermit might in fact share feelings for Piggy, but again he has so much on his plate at any given moment that nurturing that relationship always seems to take the back seat to, say, eight-foot monsters trampling through the house, chickens fluttering all over the place, and another production number that still isn't set up on stage!

I personally like to think that it's a little of both. I really mean it, when you're a performer (not necessarily a movie star, but a stage performer) your life can be very complex, and what you want -- determining what's "the goal" -- can be tough sometimes. Pile that onto Kermit's overall role in the Muppets, and whether he feels something or not, there's still more chickens to herd onstage!
Very observant! : D

I'd be like that myself. Actually, I already am. XD

Crush, College, Grades, College, Grades, College

XDDD LOL!

That actually is the most suitable answer out of all of the answers here. XD

BeakerSqueedom

Reaction score
I've said this before, but what the heck, I'll say it again: the reason no-one is sure about Kermit and Piggy's relationship is because the crew behind the characters is scared to death to deal with it. So they go back and forth, which only irritates people and turns them off.

It's the major reason I'm so down on the mups right now. They're still playing the same lame games as they did in the past.
XD but you must admit.

They do it with humor. : O

Daffyfan4ever

Reaction score
You think the Frog needs a girl other than Piggy? I can see Kermit playing hard to get with Piggy, but maybe because he is insecure about his feelings for her and doesn't want to commit, while Piggy is a pig and needs commitment.
You might be right considering that's exactly what she said in "Muppet Treasure Island." Well, actually that was her playing Benjamina Gunn at the time, but her feelings are probably the same.

In all honesty, I haven't seen the meeting in the first Muppet movie, so I'd have to go by "The Great Muppet Caper." I probably want to go by "The Muppet Show," when she was in the chorus singing "Temptation," then went up to put the moves on Kermit. From then on the relationship grew as the show progressed. I've noticed Kermit seemed to care for Piggy more in the later seasons. Also, the show seems to be more continuous since they have said that the movies were made up for the most part. Of course there's "Muppet Babies," but according to TMTM, that whole show is just a product of Piggy's imagination, so we won't get into that one.

Barry Lee

Reaction score
Very true points there DaffyFan. In fact the movies are just movies, they portray actors in a sense because they are ACTORS. In "The Muppet Show" they are more real life, especially in the backstage scenes, I think the muppet movies lead to believe that they are in a relationship, and arent we forgetting the episode where Miss Piggy tells everyone Kermit is engaged to her? He didnt want to be at all. So that shows a little hesitation on his part.

Oh and about "Muppet Babies", yeah I think that was just in Miss Piggys figment of imagination, still Kermit was a little hesitant. :zany:

Mistersuperstar

Reaction score
To be honest, I don't think we were ever supposed to know the real deal between Piggy and Kermit. It was always a "will they, won't they" kinda situation that happens in all the best TV shows to keep the viewer hooked. After all, they are only puppets and they have no life outside of what is portrayed on screen. It's nice to try and piece it all together tho. :smile:

Mistersuperstar

Reaction score
I don't think the Jim Henson Company, Disney or anyone else that might have some control over the Muppets are scared about announcing Kermit and Piggy as an item. I just think that if they finally said "Okay, they are married and have four bouncing baby figs" it would kinda be the end of the story. As I have said, all good stories have something left open for the audience to ponder and draw their own conclusions from.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Uh, yeah, but it gets a little old after what, 40 years now? :embarrassed:

Kermit's little performance on Larry King the other night proves my point.
I agree, I'm definitely against the recent Pig bashing. I don't mind romantic tension, but it's not the same as it was before. But I don't want to start the debate again. :stick_out_tongue: