Wocka-Wocka... He's at it again!

Status
Not open for further replies.

PMK

Reaction score
For further elaboration, please go back and read the entire thread.
I have been. This appears to be a polarizing issue. We either see it as wrong (for whatever reason) or not wrong (for whatever reason). In this instance, wrong equates to criminal. Criminal being something that should cause an eBay auction to be shut down.

Whoever said that today's generation is one of entitlement is absolutely correct, but I do not view that as a negative thing. We want the best and will not settle for less. The whole reason companies like MR exist is because people demanded high quality props. Short of stealing a lightsaber off a set or building it yourself (is there such backlash against lightsaber prop building and selling?) there was nowhere else to turn before MR started pumping them out.

Ever since I was a kid I have wanted my own Muppets puppets. If I had the money, I would absolutely buy one of these or commission someone to build me my own. When I saw the Pepe replica, my first thought was "does he sell these?". Master Replicas is making nice poseable Muppets, but these aren't puppets. It just seems crazy to me that people would rather walk around in the dark, bumping into each other, exclaiming they are the virtuous because they do not support Muppet replicating than own something that looks like something they love.

Disney is an awfully big company. Do you think they are hurting for cash? I never thought I would see people shedding tears for the financial strain of the Mouse.

Was Once Ernie

Reaction score
Disney is an awfully big company. Do you think they are hurting for cash? I never thought I would see people shedding tears for the financial strain of the Mouse.
So, what you're saying is, if the company is big enough, it's okay to steal from them.

Woo-hoo! I'm off to Best Buy to get me some DVD's! They'll never miss 'em. They have thousands... maybe even hundreds!

:stick_out_tongue:

PMK

Reaction score
So, what you're saying is, if the company is big enough, it's okay to steal from them.

Woo-hoo! I'm off to Best Buy to get me some DVD's! They'll never miss 'em. They have thousands... maybe even hundreds!

Yeah, that is basically what I'm saying. As wrong as that may seem typed out in black and white, I think the majority of people would admit to stealing a loose grape from time to time.

Maybe I'm just a renegade rebel without any sense of right or wrong, but Disney is a conglomerate; I'm not worried about stealing from their penny jar.

Jinx

Reaction score
So, PMK, you prove our point for us. You believe that the law only applies to you as far as is convenient to your specific way of thinking.

By this kind of reasoning we can say that a stop sign can mean stop, slow down a bit, or just keep going, according to how it suits the individual driver. Not a good idea, but I'm sure you'll come up with some lame-o excuse for making it "work".

Since you don't care about Disney, I'm sure you won't mind my finding all the homeless people in your area to come over to your house to sleep, and while they're there they can help themselves to your food and clothing as well. After all, by comparison you are like a conglomerate, and therefore they are entitled to "wanting the best and not settling for less." They also need not care about how it affects you, since you have more than they do.

"Entitlement" philosophy is nothing but LAZINESS. I don't mind you wanting something, but I most certainly mind the way you suggest acquiring it.

Bottom line is that YOU do not get to decide what's right and wrong as pertains to matters of law. Just because you don't agree with a law does not make your actions "right".

PMK

Reaction score
Someone wrote those laws. They did not sprout from the ground.

Telly

Reaction score
I think it's kinda funny that people are praising the people who do build replicas for themselves. They're the ones who are being unlawful. Shouldn't we be telling them that what they're doing is just as wrong? Personally, I think some of the their work is beautiful and dead-on!

But when it comes to making money building unlicensed replicas, most rights holders get a little testy. They don't like it when they've paid LOTS of money to own the rights only to have someone come along and infringe on them by making money off something they own.
I still say if they're only charging for materials and their time and not making profit from it, it should be no different than if they build one for themself.

Was Once Ernie

Reaction score
I still say if they're only charging for materials and their time and not making profit from it, it should be no different than if they build one for themself.
You keep saying that, but just who is this philanthropist that's going to spend many hours building you a puppet and then just giving it to you for cost? You're making an argument about something that can never happen. The guy who is the subject of this thread is most certainly making a profit from what he is selling.

And the other part of your argument that I didn't quote has been answered many times and you continue to choose to ignore it. Copyright holders tend to look the other way at genuine fan activity. There is a difference between that and putting goods up on e-Bay. I don't see why that's so hard for you to understand. That's why we congratulate Jarrod and condemn The Fabricator.

Was Once Ernie

Reaction score
Yeah, that is basically what I'm saying. As wrong as that may seem typed out in black and white, I think the majority of people would admit to stealing a loose grape from time to time.

Maybe I'm just a renegade rebel without any sense of right or wrong, but Disney is a conglomerate; I'm not worried about stealing from their penny jar.
Thanks, PMK. You just made me glad I'm as old as I am. I wouldn't want to be a part of a generation that thinks the way you do. Good luck with that when chaos reigns.

DPuppets

Reaction score
Hey spcglider you said

"Your question is irrelavant... because even if you had the skillset to make an unlicensed replica of a Muppet, it would still be technically unlawful for you to do so. So the answer is no."

So, you are saying anyone who makes a replica is breaking the law. Does not matter weather he is learning or just a big fan.

But wrong is wrong who ever makes them then. Even if there is a genorous policy.

Telly

Reaction score
You never know, there might be somebody out there who IS willing to willing to charge for only materials and time.

I think the law should apply to EVERYBODY not just certain people. They're making replicas for themselves...they are STILL breaking the law at the end of the day.

Status
Not open for further replies.