Your Thoughts: The Muppet Show Season 2

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Being a "replacement" puppeteer is rather thankless and difficult role to fulfill, having to take over the voice and personality of a popular character. So I don't critique the performers too much. :smile:

I think a lot of the critique is more with the writing rather than the performers themselves. There has been an overall attitude change that not everyone likes (and they don't have to). Not just because it's different, but because it doesn't seem right.

Of course I'd rather not "blame" anybody. It's very difficult trying to recreate Jim's work and I commend them for making the effort. :smile:

Bear Man

Reaction score
Of course Steve Whitmire is putting his own take on Kermit into the performance! He's an artist, that is both his right and his duty. If not, he'd only be ever doing an impersonation, and then people would be complaining that Kermit has no life of his own, that the technique of the performer is perfect, but there is no creativity or spark. It's this sort of "nothing is ever allowed to evolve or change" attitude that causes problems for any new Muppet productions. You get fans screaming for something new, and then going up in arms because Gonzo used the word (*gasp!*) "nipple". "Why can't we have something new?" and "Why can't things stay the same?" just can't exist properly together. As time goes on, both in life and in art, people and characters must change - their looks, their voices, their personalities. If they don't, it becomes old, tired, stale, boring.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
If not, he'd only be ever doing an impersonation, and then people would be complaining that Kermit has no life of his own
I think that's very true. I don't envy the performers in this task, they are doing the best they can and not always appreciated for it.

About the whole issue of "old and new" Muppet projects in general, it's obviously very complicated. I'm glad at least that we're able to discuss it in a respectful manner. :smile:

TheJimHensonHour

Reaction score
I'll point out the exact things he does that bug me ok?
The "uh yeaaah" "ook uh uh yeah yeah" "oh wow!" "ok!" uh uh uh"
mhmmm yeah when he does that it bothers me because the only time I ever recall kermit doing that is when he was being a smug movie star in muppet take Manhattan but steve does it all the time if he didn't do those little gestures I'd be 100% fine with his kermit.
Like I said I don't have a problem with steve infact I love some of his own characters like bean bunny who now take a back burner because hes doing jims characters it's my opinion that he's getting better but it's not cigar for him from me. Sorry I just call em' as I see em'

MWoO

Reaction score
Steve's Kermit mugs for the camera like Rizzo. It's just how he performs. He also uses the phrase "good point" a lot. It's his verbal crutch. We all have them. In fact he uses it with Kermit on the DVD menu. I'd just like to see Kermit go back to have dry wit. Steve can do it to. Kermit was spot on in MCC and even MTI. He was also rather good in AVMMC. Its the non-scripted stuff that gets wonky.

TheJimHensonHour

Reaction score
Steve's Kermit mugs for the camera like Rizzo. It's just how he performs. He also uses the phrase "good point" a lot. It's his verbal crutch. We all have them. In fact he uses it with Kermit on the DVD menu. I'd just like to see Kermit go back to have dry wit. Steve can do it to. Kermit was spot on in MCC and even MTI. He was also rather good in AVMMC. Its the non-scripted stuff that gets wonky.
I agree Muppet treasure island is a good example of him doing a good job.
I'm starting to wonder though it's not some one else telling to make kermit more peppy and not the dry wit kind of guy jim made him into be.

Daffyfan4ever

Reaction score
I got this today and thought I'd post my comments. So far I just watched the ep with Mr. Furley, er, I mean Don Knotts so I can't go much further than that. I liked the interactive menu parts with :smile: and :embarrassed: on the first disk, especially Fozzie's joke about the DVD menu. As for the episode itself, I liked it. I finally saw Richard Hunt's first attempt at Janice. Seems like his original voice for the character was sort of a combo of her current voice and Erin's original Janice voice, though it did sound quite a bit like the original Hunt Miss Piggy. Anyway, just thought I'd comment on that. I guess there was a difference in 'The Muppet Show Book' then in the actual episode. In the book, after Floyd told Fozzie that he had been de-shaded, Fozzie's response was.... "Awww, just when I got used to working in the dark." But on the show, Don told Fozzie that it wasn't so bad being square. I forget his exact words though. Anyway, I'll write more as I watch more eps.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
I guess there was a difference in 'The Muppet Show Book' then in the actual episode. In the book, after Floyd told Fozzie that he had been de-shaded, Fozzie's response was.... "Awww, just when I got used to working in the dark." But on the show, Don told Fozzie that it wasn't so bad being square. I forget his exact words though. Anyway, I'll write more as I watch more eps.
I was thinking the same thing. Of course, I'd only seen that ending a few times before having the DVD (I had taped the episode on Nickelodeon, but my tape stopped halfway before it ended, during What a Wonderful World).

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
I finally saw Richard Hunt's first attempt at Janice. Seems like his original voice for the character was sort of a combo of her current voice and Erin's original Janice voice, though it did sound quite a bit like the original Hunt Miss Piggy.
Yes it's really interesting to see how her voice and even the character started to develop as the episodes went on. :flirt:

Daffyfan4ever

Reaction score
I was thinking the same thing. Of course, I'd only seen that ending a few times before having the DVD (I had taped the episode on Nickelodeon, but my tape stopped halfway before it ended, during What a Wonderful World).
That's too bad. I always liked that song. I heard it on the radio yesterday. I'm glad they changed it and used a different theme for "Family Matters" though. "As Days Go By" fit the show's premise much better. Now, I'm changing the subject. Anyway, in general I liked that Rowlf sang the song to that small cute puppy. It reminded me of our dog.

Yes it's really interesting to see how her voice and even the character started to develop as the episodes went on.
Yeah, fer sure. I'm like totally waiting to see the Rich Little episode when she first started talking like she does now. Rully.