Tinseltown News

GelflingWaldo

Reaction score
Yeah some of the legal stuff is fuzzy. To give a clear-cut and complete list of who "owns" what is not really possible. Some things are simple to call, but others fall into somewhat of a grey area. Luckily Henson and Disney (and Sesame Workshop) are all on very friendly terms and will work things out on a case-by-case basis. The real issues come down to the intent behind the way things are represented and presented. I doubt there will be a law suit due to a use of some minor puppet or a similar design (maybe someone will get a phone call telling them to please knock it off and change something). But they all respect each other, work together constantly and are in communication almost daily about stuff (even in the planning stages of project to make sure things are kosher).

MuppetQuilter

Reaction score
Well, Sesame Workshop can't use Kermit as a roving reporter anymore because they can't afford the fees Disney charges for him. That doesn't seem super friendly to me-- charging a non-profit an arm and a leg for a character they used for years before you got a hold of him. I know SST hadn't used Kermit much in the years prior to Disney's purchase of the Muppets but that still irks me.

Anyone want to put together a comparison of pig puppets through the years-- first season TMS, later MS, MT, Tinseltown.... There's been a lot of evolution. First season MS Piggy is kind of like an early sculpt of Palisades' first Muppet line. Pigs have come a long way.

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
For those that missed it (or want to catch it again), the entire pilot is now online:

http://www.logoonline.com/shows/alien_boot_camp/details.jhtml?cid=1573431
I'd like to see some more of the characters, and hope they get a few other writers to add more humor to the show. There's something missing in the characters, but that's in every first show.

I look forward to more opportunities to chance it out.

I did like some of the little things, though--screaming for Arturio to get sunglasses, his nose through the glass before he comes out in the leather gear, and I like the typing-intros of the characters.

anytimepally

Reaction score
I haven't seen the pilot yet, but I've wondered, can/are these characters considered "Muppets" or are they something else, like "Henson Alternative characters"?
on LOGO's website, they were called "Muppets" (with the captial M) earlier in the week, but it's since been changed to "puppets" :smirk:

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
I wonder if Disney's ownership of the Muppets will alter Kermit's appearance in Sesame's classic Follow That Bird future reissues?

I think the Tinsel puppets are structured differently than classic Muppets. There is something that skews differently with the design that I just can't put my finger on. :confused:

GelflingWaldo

Reaction score
Well, Sesame Workshop can't use Kermit as a roving reporter anymore because they can't afford the fees Disney charges for him. That doesn't seem super friendly to me-- charging a non-profit an arm and a leg for a character they used for years before you got a hold of him. I know SST hadn't used Kermit much in the years prior to Disney's purchase of the Muppets but that still irks me.
True Disney is somewhat protective of Kermit as he is really the core icon of their brand - the Muppet. Just like Sesame and Henson are protective of the exposure and control of core properties. Although the companies get along, work together on projects and are fairly friendly, they all want to make sure that their individual brands and properties remain distinctive and they retain their own identity in the public eye. That’s one reason why Henson altered the title screens on the early Fraggle Rock DVDs to remove the word “Muppet” – not because Disney legally demanded them to, but because they wanted to distance themselves from “The Muppets”. And one of the reasons for Kermit’s exclusion of the Emmet Otter DVD had to do Disney wanting to ensure a separation of properties. So while that armadillo puppet may have be used on Disney owned “Bear in the Big Blue House” and the DVD extras of “Kermit’s Swamp Years”, it has been used on “The Animal Show” and “Puppet Up!” - no one is overly concerned about him, he’s not a core brand asset like Kermit. Disney wants Kermit (and those other core characters) to be associated with their productions and their brand, especially in these early years while distinguishing themselves from Henson and Sesame. Similarly Sesame and Henson are distinguishing their brands from the Disney owned stuff. No one is being mean here, it’s a mutual understanding of preserving all of the separate ownerships. They just want to make sure the public can distinguish between the owners and productions. Again, with the use and law behind intellectual properties, such as characters, more focus is on the intent behind it and public perception of it. As long as Henson doesn’t present their stuff as being associated with or endorsed by or a part of the now Disney owned “Muppet” brand they are pretty free from legal complications with the mouse. That’s why the word Muppet and even phrases like “from the creators of the Muppets” and such aren’t used. But bah-humbug to all this law talk, it’s complicated and there’s really nothing that our yammering will change about it. Things are what things are - Henson, Disney and Sesame all seem to be okay with the positions they are in. And Kermie may not be reappearing on Sesame Street much anymore (which isn't totally a Disney thing, it started after Jim passed away but was really driven home when Henson sold Sesame off), at least many of those classic gems Jim produced are seeing the light of day in the Old School sets.

But back to Tinseltown...that is what this threads about, right... if you look on AlienBootCamp.com right now, you’ll see Tinseltown is the highest rated video on the entire site! Hooray for being #1 (with an impressive 5-star average rating). Hopefully that sends a positive message to Logo and Henson... although it couldn't hurt to take a few seconds to drop them an email of thanks and support as well. I can't wait for more!

GelflingWaldo

Reaction score
I think the Tinsel puppets are structured differently than classic Muppets. There is something that skews differently with the design that I just can't put my finger on. :confused:
The do have a differnt feel. They are fairly large - I mean, Bobby is much bigger than the average Muppet. Plus they have pretty expressive eye mechanisms.

The characters were designed by Gene Barretta (Bill's brother). Gene also designed the characters for the "Late Night Buffet with Augie and Del" pilot.

wwfpooh

Reaction score
That line by Kermit is showing the professional relationship he and Piggy have...he's a professional and she thinks--nay, knows--they have something special in the relationship they share.

TheJimHensonHour

Reaction score
Wow you people really are getting so bent out of shape over a show.
The things that bother people these days with everything else going on in the world astounds me.