What Disney Needs to do....

Drtooth

Reaction score
Disney purchasing Pixar was the best for both companies. John Lasseter is bringing back 2D animation, there's gonna be new shorts, a new 2D movie, things are looking up for Disney animation. That's the kind of person we need running the MHC. Or, heck, why not bring Eisner back to run it, it seemed to be the only thing he was running right!
Not saying it wasn't. That's why they did what they did. They bought the muppets, sadly, as a rebound. Now they have what they need, they can dump the rebound.

It's very sad they come out with nonsensical Baby versions of their own cartoons, when they have the real thing at their fingertips. Baby Pooh? Someone explain to me how a character that's just an imagined version of a plush toy can be a baby? Wouldn't Baby Pooh be a sewing pattern? :rolleyes:

It's pretty pathetic to see all the other Muppet branches thrive. Sesame Street is making an all new non-PBS prime time special. A very bold move, since it's been almost 10 years since Elmopalooza. Henson's coming up with amazing stuff, even going into adult puppetry that makes Greg the Bunny look like a college student video. A Fraggle Rock movie? That was the stuff of dreams.

Now all we got are a couple box sets and some junk on the Disney channel. I would have even been optimistic with that if someone didn't say "Hey! Let's shove are prefabricated stars into them." Minimovies is a code word for using the muppets to further promote their tweencom line up. I mean, even if we got something like "Muppet Movie madness" they used to have.

I can agree it's sadly a while off for a TV pilot to go past that part. but HEY! Let's air those pilots. Call them "specials." Maybe that will show what needs to be done.

No. They're still wallowing in self pitty over the fact MOZ didn't break records left and right. it's the Muppet's fault for that one. not pathetic scripting, bad directing, horrendous acting and chemestry on the part of Ashanti, not the exasperating themselves with trying to get as many demographics as possible to like it.

a_Mickey_Muppet

Reaction score
Baby Pooh? Someone explain to me how a character that's just an imagined version of a plush toy can be a baby? Wouldn't Baby Pooh be a sewing pattern? :rolleyes:

so let me get this stright.... Muppet Babies like Kermit, Piggy, Gonzo etc. would also have been a sewing pattern? :attitude: oh wait... pencil led same as the Disney Babies of Mickey, Minnie, Goofy etc. so some goes with the Sesame babys for the pattern! :attitude: come lets get real... there pretend dude! (as MUCH as i love all of em, i like to pretend there real too, dont get me wrong.. im JUST sayin) its called use your imagination (or disney & seame tryin to make money) ither way i STILL think there cute! and if there makin money off it, theres no stopin it.

Drtooth

Reaction score
In the cartoons themselves Pooh is a doll. That's my point. Jim Henson (and Jeffery Scott and others) had a vision when they came up with Muppet Babies. Disney, Warners and the lot of them just saw big dollar signs by taking something someone else already did.

Baby Pooh is just another way I wish the A.A. Milne estate could get its rights back. I LOVED what they did with the movies and the cartoon series... but then they come up with all this garbage like "baby Pooh" products and "Pooh and Me" or whatever that CGI abomination on Disney Channel is.

I'm saying... why can't they stop making baby versions of everything when they have the real, quality Muppet babies show? They just leave it in the dark. The Award winning, high rated series that had been on for almost 10 years on saturday mornings, left in the dark.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
They just leave it in the dark. The Award winning, high rated series that had been on for almost 10 years on saturday mornings, left in the dark.

It's true, in this world there are things that can be called genuine art and other things that just make money. I'm not saying which is which, and they sometimes overlap heh. But it is true that the quality entertainment is often what's disrespected. Sometimes it's frustrating to me. Other times I'm glad the things I enjoy are not wrapped up in the popularity nonesense. One important thing to do is to keep seeking our own interests (as long as they're not harmful of course), share them with others, and not let anyone tell you what to enjoy. Word of mouth can be a very powerful thing. :smile:

BeakerSqueedom

Reaction score
LOL! I laughed at Mickey Muppet's comment.

Certainly, they are.

XD LOL!

Sorry, that was just very well said and I had to acknowledge it.

:wink:

Drtooth

Reaction score
It's true, in this world there are things that can be called genuine art and other things that just make money. I'm not saying which is which, and they sometimes overlap heh. But it is true that the quality entertainment is often what's disrespected. Sometimes it's frustrating to me. Other times I'm glad the things I enjoy are not wrapped up in the popularity nonesense. One important thing to do is to keep seeking our own interests (as long as they're not harmful of course), share them with others, and not let anyone tell you what to enjoy. Word of mouth can be a very powerful thing. :smile:
I actually wouldn't doubt that MB would make money, at least if they were to put reruns somewhere and put their likenesses on Baby Products. I've pretty much said in every post lately that we're not getting quality stuff, and we're just getting the same old junk because it makes money. Well, most of the time. There are times when going after imaginary focus groups fail.

Look at the Underdog movie. They would have got more money if they followed the cartoon closely,because they'd at least get the classic cartoon geek fanbase. But by alienating the only people who have heard of him, we're left with little kids who don't care about the character. Most of the target audence wasn't even born by the time they took it off syndication. And people who liked it that had kids would stay away. So it tanked the worst of all the Disney Live action cartoon films (even worse than Inspector Gadget). I can see the point of reintrodcuing something to younger audiences, but do it right.

This is why i said earlier that they should just rerun or put Muppet babies on DVD. Unless they got the original people involved, we'd have major problems reimagining it. I mean, when they reimagined TMNT in comic book style, they did a service to fans of the comics. I'm glad they didn't just make a remake of the older series, because it would just pail in comparison, plus we would have retreaded old ground.

But if they were to do anything to Muppet Babies, i'd be suspicious. I have horrible visions of them trying to make the show interactive, and Baby Kermit talking really really really s l o w. I see great kids shows like Word Girl and Cureous George coming out, but then I look at all this "Let's take the curriculum from Blues Clues and Dora" garbage and I shed a tear for Mr. Rogers. I could get into a big thing about it, but then it doesn't differ from what I've been saying with SS the last several years.

As for the Muppets, I'd at the very least be happy if they confirmed the last 3 seasons of TMS, and some sort of set for MT. If they can at least get that together I wouldn't be terribly worried.

theprawncracker

Reaction score
You know, as much as I'd LOVE to see Muppet Babies on television again, I have my worries about it. Not trying to disagree with you here, Drtooth, just making conversation.

I'm thinking that if we have Muppet Babies come back into syndication and no other Muppet television show, the Muppets will only be known as them baby selves, not as the rich, deep, puppet characters we all know and love. I just don't know how I'd feel about bringing back Muppet Babies... at least not until they have another Muppet show on too. :smirk:

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Well it just depends on your opinion of the Muppet Babies. I have a great opinion of them and wouldn't mind if they were the only things brought back, at least for awhile. In its own way I thought it was just as deep as the other Muppet projects (and deeper than some of the new ones). But that's obviously an opinion question. :smile:

TheJimHensonHour

Reaction score
You know, as much as I'd LOVE to see Muppet Babies on television again, I have my worries about it. Not trying to disagree with you here, Drtooth, just making conversation.

I'm thinking that if we have Muppet Babies come back into syndication and no other Muppet television show, the Muppets will only be known as them baby selves, not as the rich, deep, puppet characters we all know and love. I just don't know how I'd feel about bringing back Muppet Babies... at least not until they have another Muppet show on too. :smirk:
This is the exact reason I never liked Muppet babies because when I would talk about the Muppets people would go "OOOOOOOH! You mean the Muppet Babies" and I then i want to call crazy harry to come blow them up haha:crazy: