Which Sesame CD's are out of production?

Drtooth

Reaction score
It does depend on what store you happen to walk into. I was looking through one random Barnes and Noble and to my amazement they had the soundtrack to Follow That Bird! I personally hadn't seen it in any other store and didn't even realize it was available.
You know... when Tower Records went out of Business, one store had so many copies of FTB they sold them for 2 bucks? And since I had no money that day, and I never went back before it closed down, I missed that oppertunity. And it still makes me angry.

I would say this.... now that genius entertainment is supposed to release CD's or something, maybe you can look in clearance stores for the CD's. That's what happened to all the Muppet Show DVD's when Disney bought the muppets....

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
One thing I've learned when hunting for Muppet stuff, is sometimes if you don't act quickly, you will miss opportunities. And on top of that, you have to keep your financial priorities in mind lol.

Larxene

Reaction score
One thing I've learned when hunting for Muppet stuff, is sometimes if you don't act quickly, you will miss opportunities. And on top of that, you have to keep your financial priorities in mind lol.
Oh yeah, I already know my trip to FYE will likely cost $100 unless there's a sale. I'll have to watch my spending for the rest of the month but I'd rather drown in music anyhow :cool:

Drtooth

Reaction score
It likely does matter. Some stores don't carry kids music at all! But I think that has more to do with the decline of children's entertainment than anything else :frown:

Well, the Children's section is pretty much designated to Disney music (which sometimes is in the soundtrack section) and various really really bad children's musicians that think they are Raffi, but sadly aren't. Plus, as I stated, when it comes to SS they only carry the most popular selling titles. So usually, you just have to sepcial order somtehing if you really want it.

But you think that's bad, ever see the pathetic little "Ghetto" they house the Comedy albums in? And it's usually just larry the Cable guy and random assorted other...

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
That's true, comedy albums has taken a dip in popularity in recent years.

sesameguy

Reaction score
You know... when Tower Records went out of Business, one store had so many copies of FTB they sold them for 2 bucks? And since I had no money that day, and I never went back before it closed down, I missed that oppertunity. And it still makes me angry.
I think we may have shopped at the same Tower Records, Drtooth! I remember seeing literally stacks of "Follow that Bird" CDs for sale at the stores in my area. I have no idea why they would have so many spare copies of that one. I wonder what they did with all the copies that they didn't sell.

As mentioned, collecting Sesame Street CDs from music stores is very "hit and miss." If you have a particular album that you're looking for, it may be easier to order it online. I sometimes check out the Sesame CDs when I shop, and I seldom find "Platinum" or "Bert and Ernie's greatest hits." Those are two that I think any die-hard Sesame fan would want!

=======================================

Here's my posting about Tower going out of business:

http://heroshaven.blogspot.com/2006/12/farewell-tower-records.html

sesameguy

Reaction score
Well, the Children's section is pretty much designated to Disney music (which sometimes is in the soundtrack section) and various really really bad children's musicians that think they are Raffi, but sadly aren't. Plus, as I stated, when it comes to SS they only carry the most popular selling titles. So usually, you just have to sepcial order somtehing if you really want it.
I've found that classic children's albums are some of the hardest to find on CD. Not only Sesame Street, but there are very few albums of classic kids' shows that are available on CD in any form. Along with old religious albums and, as mentioned, comedy albums, those can be some of the rarest to find on CD.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I wonder if any of the DVDs are out of print, or if they are just too hard to find. I could see if Genius wanted to get older ones sold and then rerelease the older DVDs, but I believe that it started to get harder to find certain DVDs before Genius got the DVD rights to Sesame Street.
With the DVD's it may be a little of both. I have seen some afforementioned bargain stores (like TJ Max) carry a lot of SS DVD's lately. I once had the oppertunity to pick up "Celebrate around the world" for 5 bucks on clearance, but then that would have required me to NOT see the TMNT movie, and that's just crazy talk.

But usually when someone gets the rights to releasing DVD's they put all the ones currently in production (or just stopped production) on clearance. Once again, Sony's Muppet DVD's after Disney bought them out.

So I'm guessing with CD's they just stopped production on, we'll either see reprints under the Genius lable, or we'll see all the available CD's marked down. Then of course, they could still be producing them, and they will cost the same ammount anyway.

Larxene

Reaction score
Cleaned out FYE Today:

Oscar's Trashy Songs
Fiesta Songs
Splish Splash
Numbers
C is For Cookie
Elmopalooza (ordered)
Elmo's Lowdown Hoedown (Ordered)
Elmo's Favorite Sing A Longs (Ordered)

Aside from those, they had in stock: