Halloween is just around the corner

Davina

Reaction score
I should probablly restate, that yes.. I'm all for older teens dressing up, too, but, I'm leary of them out TOT'ing.. it is sad that most of them don't bother to get into the whole dressing up bit.. if you're gonna.. go all out! I did trick or treating for unicef as a teen, and, ok, got some candy out of it, too.. but "I had a legit reason".. heh..
It does just seem more "on the level" if they've got younger kids with them or something.. I mean, heck.. loads of parents would love it if the neighbor teen would take their kids out while they could stay home and hand out candy when other kids come to the door.. or there are spook alleys or parties for the older kids to go to. (heck, my church holds a trunk or treat every year as well, and we always dress up for that.. even dress the dogs up once in a while for it :smile: )
Last year the only teen costume that stood out was the pregnant, tatooed, smoking nun... and that was mostly cuz of the smoking.. I mean, that was poor taste to start with, but then to be a teen smoking at my front door... I'm NOT going to reward such behavior with candy... maybe with a hose....(And being in Alaska, where usually you have to plan costumes to go over coats - which is also why there are a lot of indoor things.. that's a serious threat....)
Meanwhile.. I've got to go back to planning a costume.. not for halloween as such, but for a Terry Pratchett convention next year... hehehe

Redsonga

Reaction score
I still don't understand the ageism linked with dressing up IMHO you do not need a reason and no age is too old, ever :stick_out_tongue:.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Last year the only teen costume that stood out was the pregnant, tatooed, smoking nun... and that was mostly cuz of the smoking.. I mean, that was poor taste to start with, but then to be a teen smoking at my front door... I'm NOT going to reward such behavior with candy
Good for you!

And I agree, dressing up is one thing, but trick or treating's not great after a certain point. And anyway, it's also fun to be the one to hand out the treats!

Redsonga

Reaction score
Good for you!

And I agree, dressing up is one thing, but trick or treating's not great after a certain point. And anyway, it's also fun to be the one to hand out the treats!
What's wrong with it? It's not at all creepy IMHO, everyone likes free candy. The egging houses and things, those are the things that should be looked down upon, not love of candy and walking in the fall night breeze :smile:...

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
What's wrong with it? It's not at all creepy IMHO, everyone likes free candy. The egging houses and things, those are the things that should be looked down upon, not love of candy and walking in the fall night breeze :smile:...
Oh I agree, the "mischief night" nonesense is awful and should be frowned upon. It's not so much that I "frown upon" older people trick or treating, it's just that the givers of the candy are doing this for small children to make them happy because they can't buy it on their own. It's a treat for kids, not for older teens or adults who could get candy on their own. That's just my view on it. :smile:

Redsonga

Reaction score
Oh I agree, the "mischief night" nonesense is awful and should be frowned upon. It's not so much that I "frown upon" older people trick or treating, it's just that the givers of the candy are doing this for small children to make them happy because they can't buy it on their own. It's a treat for kids, not for older teens or adults who could get candy on their own. That's just my view on it. :smile:
But when it is not safe for very small children to be out in places and there is a lot of candy, and those people come from poor families, it is their only candy sometimes. Where I lived when I was little there was only one other house, they never had candy, my ma never really had candy even on halloween, and I was lucky if I got to be a bedsheet ghost. So I'm sorry if my love of things now that I can afford them or my feeling for poor teens like I was is taking away from some little child..but I really don't think it is :frown:

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
But when it is not safe for very small children to be out in places and there is a lot of candy, and those people come from poor families, it is their only candy sometimes. Where I lived when I was little there was only one other house, they never had candy, my ma never really had candy even on halloween, and I was lucky if I got to be a bedsheet ghost. So I'm sorry if my love of things now that I can afford them or my feeling for poor teens like I was is taking away from some little child..but I really don't think it is :frown:
I understand. Life isn't easy sometimes, it's unfair.

I guess what I'm trying to get across is a good thing about getting older is that you're now in a better position to give and help children and the less fortunate. To make sure they have the things you didn't get to have. It is better to give than to receive. :smile:

Redsonga

Reaction score
I understand. Life isn't easy sometimes, it's unfair.

I guess what I'm trying to get across is a good thing about getting older is that you're now in a better position to give and help children and the less fortunate. To make sure they have the things you didn't get to have. It is better to give than to receive. :smile:
Oh, I give plenty, to others and to myself :smile:. And I don't judge by age about it ether. Everyone is pretty poor here:sympathy:. But dressing just for the heck of it all day on Halloween just because it is Halloween should never be looked down upon ^.^

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
But dressing just for the heck of it all day on Halloween just because it is Halloween should never be looked down upon ^.^
Definitely, I'm fine with that. :smile:

I was just saying some things are there for kids to enjoy. And there always has to be adults to give and help them. We can't all be kids, some of us have to take care of them. Now of course, we can be childlike, that's different. :smile: